Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which fans favourites from days gone by would struggle in the modern game?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If we start with Albion players, I fear the hard as nails Paul Clark would be sent off within a couple of minutes, his tackles hurt me and I was only watching from the terraces.

Tommy Smith of Liverpool would go down the same route.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Dave Turner and Des Tennant for the oldies also Jack Bertolini omp[letekly shackled Johnny Haynes at The Goldstone but wouldnt be permitted to carry out those type of tackles today.

How many minutes would Norman Hunter or Billy Bremner of Leeds or Chopper Harris of Chelsa lasted, not many I dont think. Modern football and referees dont like or allow tackling.

As regards Wardy I think that he would get even more penalties.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I mainly think that the hardmen would suffer most these days. Most teams had a hardman / enforcer. Paul Clark in particular comes to mind for The Albion. I used to think he walked a fine line even in the late 70s when men were still men and to some extent no quarter was expected and invariably none was given. I fear he would be in trouble these days. With tonights opponents in mind traditional CB's like the late Barry Kitchener and hatchet types like Harry Cripps and to some extent Terry Hurlock would struggle too. They would laugh at the fuss made of the Fellaini/Shawcross antics this week which was just a spicy part of their normal game 25 - 30 years ago.

Much as we used to love Hans Kraay's antics jumping up and down in the opposing Keepers face at corners I think he would get harsh treatment from Refs these days. Bad form old chap.

Mind you that works both ways. I would like to think that Wardy would get a bit more protection from Refs today as he used to get a fearful clattering at times and ok he legitimately won loads of free kicks and penalties, rarely did the opposition defender even get booked. To his credit Wardy mainly used to get up and get on with the game unlike some of the cynical gamesmanship that I hate in the current game. With wall to wall TV coverage I wonder how many pundits would scrutinise his slippery style for any falling over. Fortunately he wasn't a diver so would be vindicated (unlike certain current players whose game seems to depend on this and somehow get away with it) but these days I can still see opposition players and Managers making a fuss and trying to influence how Refs view Wardy.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Dale Jasper struggled to stay on the pitch back in the day.
No chance now.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
. Fortunately he wasn't a diver so would be vindicated (unlike certain current players whose game seems to depend on this and somehow get away with it) but these days I can still see opposition players and Managers making a fuss and trying to influence how Refs view Wardy.

He wasnt a diver as such but the refs received a warning about his abiliy to trip himself up and win penalties as it appearred that he had been tripped. There was one ref, I think that his name was Taylor, who came from Dover who was virtually certain to give Wardy a penalty.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here