Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

White British Caledonian adidas kit?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I found this photo from a Birmingham programme from 1981/82.

Did the Albion really have a white away kit in our top flight days?

birmingham1981-2.jpg

Or has the photo lost its yellow? I guess it might be a question that photography experts might be able to answer. I'm guessing that someone didn't just doctor the photo as it would have been hard in the pre-Photoshop days.

Tony Le Mesmer

Jul 5, 2003
South Wales
Interesting. Certainly does look authentic. I presume the teams photo shoot for that season was just the home kit?!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Interesting. Certainly does look authentic. I presume the teams photo shoot for that season was just the home kit?!

Yes, the team photo for that season was just for the home kit.

The kit choice for this game is a bit of a mystery. Why go for blue shorts and socks when this clashes with Birmingham's shirts? After all, the Albion all-yellow kit would have been fine.

(Looking at the photo more closely, especially Grealish's hair, it's not a photo that has lost all its yellow).

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
I know it's black and white, but it could be,

Page_0004 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Thats a white shirt in black and white and not a yellow one for sure...that and it says next to point five 'Gordon Smith in full flight at Birmingham in an unfamiliar white Albion shirt'.

10 points to Phil for the find.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I was at that game and it seems so long ago I can only remember it in black & white.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Are there any lists of all the Albion away kits ?

Well apart from this white shirt, all of them since 1977 are shown on my website. Prior to that it is for sure a little more tricky as collectors were few and far between and fans replicas unheard of. Trawling through old programmes is not that helpful as the majority of images were in black & white, at least the caption in this picture helps.

This, I suspect, would be one of the rarest Albion shirts around.

Too right, anything that wasn't made as a replica is. The away shirts from 1987 back are the hardest to find as they weren't made for fans to buy, and one way or another the match shirts didn't really survive. I spoke to one older ex player and he reckoned his missus used his old ones as dusters back in the 70s! Oddly, the yellow Bukta shirt was made as a replica, but untill Spall came along it seems to me that very few, if any, were made available to fans to buy.

Another rare one that I have never seen is the home BCal shirt with the word "Airways" beneath it, again, I imagine match shirts only, so very rare, possibly as few as 20 made. Even the players struggled to get one if you look at this photo.

Untitled-1 (Medium).jpg

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Well apart from this white shirt, all of them since 1977 are shown on my website. Prior to that it is for sure a little more tricky as collectors were few and far between and fans replicas unheard of. Trawling through old programmes is not that helpful as the majority of images were in black & white, at least the caption in this picture helps.

]

I remember a green away kit in the mid 70's also a green/black striped one but not sure when

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I also remember the blue and black stripes, black shorts and socks away kit ( a la Inter Milan) ...that is my favourite kit of all time

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

View attachment 37642

You've done a great job in getting so many of the away shirts there.
The blue Bukta shirt with white buks down the sleeves and the red Bukta shirt with white buks down are the only other ones I can think of.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I remember a green away kit in the mid 70's also a green/black striped one but not sure when

The green one is shown on my site, held by Mr Ward himself for the photo

football_shirt_20155_1_376x450x0.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here