Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do Crawley luxury supply any P&R coaches?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
If so they have been found guilty of running red lights etc etc and have been banned from the roads early January.

According to south east today just now.

It was a decision taken by the Traffic Commissioner for the South Eastern & Metropolitan Traffic Area, after a Public Inquiry:-

Section 5.2 – Decisions Taken at Public Inquiries

Public Inquiry (45046) held at Court Room(SEMTA), Ivy House, Ivy Terrace, Eastbourne, East Sussex, BN21 4QT on 15 November 2012 at 10:00(Previous Publication: (2265)

PK0002377 SI
J & M BROWN COACHES LTD T/A CRAWLEY LUXURY COACHES
DIRECTOR(s): DARREN JOHN BROWN , GAVIN DAVID BROWN , DAVID LEONARD BROWN .
32 STEPHENSON WAY, THREE BRIDGES , CRAWLEY RH10 1TN, GB
PSV - S17 - Licence suspended for 7 days with effect from 1 January 2013.
PSV - Sch.3 - David Brown found not to be of good repute and is disqualified for a period of 3 months until 31 March 2013.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
We always had Crawley Luxury (suppose they would be considered luxury in Crawley) coaches for field trips at school, at least we got Chessington nice and early :thumbsup:

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I used to go to school every day in a Crawley Luxury coach and this doesn't surprise me they always drove like complete maniacs.

And Luxury it most certainly wasn't.

School bus company banned from the road

12:41pm Tuesday 11th December 2012 in News

.A school bus company has been banned from the road after its drivers were repeatedly caught speeding and going through red lights

J&M Coaches Ltd failed to give police the details of nearly 40 drivers who were caught breaking the law in the company’s vehicles.

The firm, which trades as Crawley Luxury Coaches, will now have its operator’s licence suspended for seven days from January 1 and transport manager David Brown has been disqualified for three months.

Repeated failings The company has 12 school contracts with West Sussex County Council and also has agreements with East Sussex County Council.

A West Sussex spokesman said that other operators would be brought in during the week of Crawley Luxury Coaches’ ban, but that the firm’s services would be retained once it had served the suspension.

Sussex Safer Roads Partnership yesterday (December 10) revealed that the company failed to pass over the details of 29 drivers caught speeding and ten who had failed to stop at traffic lights.

No records

The company also failed to develop a system to record which individuals were driving which coach at any given moment, which hindered Sussex Police’s attempts to identify the offenders – despite officers demanding one be set up.

In 2010 the company was prosecuted four times for failing to give driver details following road traffic offences, but just a year later the company supplied incorrect driver details to police, despite having the correct details on file.

Nicholas Denton, the traffic commissioner for London and the South East, has now ruled that the firm had been negligent by letting drivers break the law without punishment.

The firm’s drivers have also been ordered to attend a speed awareness course by the end of March, while David Brown and fellow company director Darren Brown must attend a transport manager refresher course.

Chief Inspector Phil Nicholas, of Sussex Police’s roads policing unit, said: “The weight of the sanctions brought against J&M Brown Coaches shows the seriousness with which the Traffic Commissioner views its actions.

“Despite numerous warnings and 39 different offences being submitted to the company, it is disappointing that it took no action to remedy failings, thereby putting the safety of the customers at risk.”

A West Sussex County Council spokesman said: “We are putting in place arrangements to make sure that all of the ‘home to school’ coach contracts are run by other operators during the suspension.”

He added that parents will be made aware of any changes before January 7.

School bus company banned from the road From The Argus)

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Crawley (Lack of) Luxury suppled the coaches for the play off final at the Millenium Stadium.

Crappy coach, no air con, no video and the most miserable driver you could think of.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
After reading that how on earth are they getting the contract back after 7 days, they are a ticking timebomb with a coach full of school kids. Hopefully some parent power will get them kick out for good.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Hardly a punishment for a company who take kids to school to take their license away for a week during the school holidays. They will be back on the road just in time for the kids to get back to school.

D Block blue

Feb 23, 2009
West Sussex la la la
When i saw Crawley Luxury Coaches in the thread title it reminded of this story, so many people nearly got hit including 2 nieces of mine........

Drunk at the wheel

Published on Thursday 30 September 2004 16:07

A DRIVER whose coach smashed into a block of flats in Tarring was almost four times over the drink-drive limit.

Sean Shepherd would have been "severely intoxicated, almost incapacitated" when he tried to jump clear of the Crawley Luxury 53-seater Volvo before it slammed into the block in Terringes Avenue on May 13, a doctor told an inquest on Tuesday.

The 38-year-old was dragged underneath the vehicle and killed. He was supposed to be ferrying school children in Horsham to and from swimming lessons when he crashed.

Dr Jeremy Grant, a consultant pathologist at Worthing Hospital, told the hearing Mr Shepherd would have been "severely intoxicated, almost incapacitated" by drink. Tests revealed he had 396mg of alcohol in 100ml of urine. The legal limit is 107. He also said traces of anti-depressants were found in his system.

The inquest heard on Tuesday how a 14-year-old paperboy, delivering copies of the Worthing Advertiser to the flats, was saved after he left his trolley and sneaked off to have a "crafty cigarette".

Maureen Brain was also lucky to escape with her life. She had parked her car to visit friends in the block of flats next door when the coach careered towards her and only veered right, missing her, at the last minute.

In the hour and a half leading up to the crash, Mr Shepherd had collided with two lamp-posts and several parked cars before finally smashing through the flint wall and into the property, the inquest heard.

He had only started work for Crawley Luxury Coaches, based in Lancing, three weeks before.

His transport manager Howard Ticehurst, who gave him the job, said he contacted Mr Shepherd after he missed a pick-up in Horsham on May 13.

"It was not his fault he missed the job, it was mine because I did not tell him. I told him there was no danger of him losing his job because of it and told him to carry on to the next pick-up," he said.

But Mr Ticehurst's office then received calls from drivers who reported seeing a Crawley Luxury coach pulled up on the verge of the A24 with its hazard lights on and no driver. He didn't show up at his next job.

When Mr Shepherd was contacted again by phone, Mr Ticehurst said he sounded "totally incoherent".

"I could not get a lot of sense out of him," he told the hearing.

"I am sure I telephoned the Crawley office at that point and told them I thought Sean was drunk and we needed to get the police out there."

The next time the coach was spotted it was in Findon Valley and then Field Place in Durrington.

Mr Ticehurst told Mr Shepherd to stay in Durrington and he would go and collect him but he was not there when his boss arrived.

Mr Ticehurst said he followed the police helicopter to Terringes Avenue where he found the vehicle "embedded" in the front of the flats.

He formally identified Mr Shepherd's body to police.

PC Albert Mariner, a traffic accident investigator, said the coach driver's leg got caught between the vehicle and the flint wall and he was dragged underneath.

He said: "The effect of drink and drugs should be apparent to all. Especially coach drivers." He told the coroner the coach was travelling at more than 40mph. The speed limit for the road is 30mph.

Monica Townsend, Mr Shepherd's partner, told the coroner he had suffered from depression and had family problems but he had "picked up" in the weeks before his death, especially after being given the coach driver job.

"He liked to drink. Most people with depression often drink because they think alcohol will help them but it makes them even worse," she said.

"As far as I knew, when he was driving he wasn't drinking."

She told the hearing Mr Shepherd had talked about taking his own life "more than once" but not in the months leading up to his death.

West Sussex coroner Roger Stone recorded an open verdict.

He said: "The fear, even though unfounded, that he may have blown his job, could have caused him to flip.

"If that is the case then I believe he has stopped, drunk alcohol to excess and thought to himself 'I can't go on' and tried to kill himself. Whether he succeeded as he planned we will never know."

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Why from January 1st? why not immediately ?
School holidays that week. Will only inconvenience the schools for one or two days. But is this a reason to allow a school to cancel any contracts? Are they (Crawley) liable for any costs or have they to supply and pay for any substitute coach services.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Why from January 1st? why not immediately ?
School holidays that week. Will only inconvenience the schools for one or two days. But is this a reason to allow a school to cancel any contracts? Are they (Crawley) liable for any costs or have they to supply and pay for any substitute coach services.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
One of their better vehicles !! Don't see them up here much and when you do you notice them 'for all the wrong reasons' 6129690593_a22a99a3af.jpg

The transport contracts will be with West Sussex County Council, not the schools. The Council has a legal duty to ensure that free transport is available for all pupils who live more than three miles from their nearest school - so it will be the Council's job to find a replacement company to provide the service while Crawley Luxury Coaches are off the road. The fact that Crawley Luxury Coaches will be unable to provide the service (albeit for just a few days) will mean that Crawley Luxury Coaches will have to pay compensation to the Council.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Really should rename themselves Crawley Coaches

IfieldBlue

Apr 17, 2012
There is not much dispute in the RH10 RH11 area over the worth of this company generally and that the company name is completely cringeworthy if not a total misnomer...

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Crap firm that has always employed numpties! I knew the driver that died in the Worthing incident. That told me all I needed to know about Crawley Luxury!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here