Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gillespie to Leicester, bad news for Brooker?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Keith Gillespie is set to sign for Leicester City subject to a medical.

The 28-year-old Northern Ireland winger has agreed terms with the Foxes following his release from Blackburn Rovers this summer.

Leeds were also said to be interested in the former Manchester United and Newcastle player.

But Leicester manager Micky Adams has moved quickly to secure the services of Gillespie, who will become the club's fifth signing of the summer.

"He is an experienced Premiership and international player and will fit into the way we want to play this season," Adams told the club's website.

"He plays wide on the right and has pace and skill. And at the age of 28 he still has a lot to offer.

"I think he will be a valuable addition to our squad. He will be having his medical on Tuesday and, subject to that, he will sign for us."

Gillespie will join Steve Howey, Riccardo Scimeca, Paul Brooker and Danny Coyne as he prepares City for life back in the Premiership.

Adams also revealed he had held discussions with veteran former England striker Les Ferdinand over a move to City.

Ferdinand, 36, was released by West Ham at the end of last season.

Adams added: "I have had talks with Les about joining us but, at the moment, there is nothing further to add on that."

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Brooker will play on the left.
Gillespie on the right.
So maybe not.

I think he will get more games than you think.

He hardly impressed in Div 1 y do they want him in the prem?

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Marshy said:
Brooker will play on the left.
Gillespie on the right.

If he plays there and has a good season, he could get called up for England, to fill that tricky wide left position.

Tony Le Mesmer

Jul 5, 2003
South Wales
No problem - we get him back on loan with them paying most of his wage?!

You heard it here first:lolol:

Beeneys gloves

Jul 7, 2003
I think Brooker might regret going into the Premiership because he wont have a chance against the higher standard of defender, not get much first team footie and then find himself dropping down a few divisions in the future.

Having said that only a handful of people can say they've actually played in the Premiership so who can really blame him for making the move ???

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I doubt very much that he'll regret it, BG. He's probably doubled his wages and he may yet get a chance for an extended run out. What's the worst that can happen to him? Loaned out to a second or 3rd division club? It's not like he hasn't spent most of his career there.

Personally I'm beginning to think Adams is assembling a team that might escape the drop - remembering that his target is 4th from bottom, I fancy Adams to get his team up for the crucial 6-pointers and must-wins. And all of his aquisitions so far have been shrewd with very little risk associated with them.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Good point - I suppose Brian Deane is a proven goalscorer? But if not, I can see MA doing what Sam Allardyce has managed to do and splash out on a loan reserve striker from a foreign big club.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I still think he will Bid for Zamora right at the death of the transfer window and get him cheap.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here