Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Soundbars

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Are they any good?

Do reasonably modestly priced ones offer a worthwhile improvement on sound from modern flat-screen TV built-in speakers?

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Are they any good?

Do reasonably modestly priced ones offer a worthwhile improvement on sound from modern flat-screen TV built-in speakers?

I'd definitely say they offer a noticeable difference, yes.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Just got a Panasonic HTB-20 to go with my new Panasonic TV, very impressed. Also adjusts to DTS for Bluray etc automatically, which has a noticeable difference.

My dad has a Yamaha YAS (new one) and that is also very impressive, with build in sub too I believe.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I've got a Panasonic GT20 and when watching any dvd or blu ray, I have to crank the volume right up. It's never right (even with volume correction on). Was considering a 5.1 system, but these soundbars seem like a good idea. Would they help?

BattFink

Jan 31, 2012
Buggers Hole
From my experience the sound bar's do help with the audio massively. The problem with these really thin televisions are that there's not enough space for a speaker to get the air moving.

However the sound bar's that I've tried are still outperformed by a separates based 5.1 surround sound system

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Are they any good?

TV inbuilt speakers are naff. The manufacturers concentrate on the picture the set will reproduce. A sound bar is the way to go if the room where you watch the TV is of a small to medium dimension. The sound bar is also an alternative to buying an AV receiver and speakers or a "home cinema in a box" system. A 5.1 AV system will generally mean having wires attached to the speakers which trail or need tacking to the skirting board or run underneath the carpet. Try before you buy , an independent TV/Audio retailer or a chain like Richer Sounds will always set up a demo by arrangement.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I have a Yamaha YSP-400, it makes a huge improvment, then again it should at the price. The top end ones are quite remarkable bits of kit, set up carefully they really do fill the room with the sound.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I've never regretted my purchase. Make sure you get one with a subwoofer though for that cinematic bass effect - some don't have them.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I've got a Panasonic GT20 and when watching any dvd or blu ray, I have to crank the volume right up. It's never right (even with volume correction on). Was considering a 5.1 system, but these soundbars seem like a good idea. Would they help?

The sound speakers on a Panny GT20 are only 10W (the VT20 had a inbuilt subwoofer but still only 10W speakers). A soundbar that is set up correctly will emulate a 5.1 system and you'll instantly notice the difference when watching a DVD or BluRay.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Just got an LG, took it home to test the sound... crap. i needed a blu ray/DVD as well so I got an LG 5.1 cinema surround with sub-woofer and built in blu ray/DVD. Very impressive.

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
They will make a huge difference but certainly no substitute for s decent 5.1 (or 6.1 in my case) system with a proper amp. Depends how serious you take it all really...

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
Was thinking of getting a 5.1 system for a new Plasma are the Home Cinema bundles any good or is getting an amp and speakers the way to go?

elninobonito

Whitehawk Born and Bred
May 27, 2011
Have been looking at these for a while, have three in mind, what are your thoguths on these:
Sony HT-CT150 - See,s decent but can only find available on US websites?
LG NB3520A - Reasonable price for £150 and will go with LG tv already purchased?
Yamaha YAS-101 - Like the look of this but built in Sub instead of seperate, will this make a difference?

Any other recomendations between £100-£200??

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Have been looking at these for a while, have three in mind, what are your thoguths on these:
LG NB3520A - Reasonable price for £150 and will go with LG tv already purchased?
Yamaha YAS-101 - Like the look of this but built in Sub instead of seperate, will this make a difference?

The LG NB2520A (£175 I think) is the top Which? Best Buy with 80% test score and was up against kit at twice the price.

The Yahama was marked down on connectivity - no HDMI or phono inputs.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Yamaha have just brought out the 201 which is £349, but has a separate wireless subwoofer, but is much thinner than the 101 and is by all accounts amazing.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
had a Samsung soundbar with wireless sub-woofer for about a year.
Connected to a Samsung tv - detects best sound mode for program type
impressive 3D in cinema mode.
Can also attach CD player and ipod.

Samsung HW-E450 310W 2.1 Channel Soundbar with Wireless Active Subwoofer Compatible with 40 inch TV (New for 2012): Amazon.co.uk: TV

I got this one, didn't want the 5.1 with all those speakers so this one is really good. Can Bluetooth songs from my ipad as well. And having a wireless sub woofer is excellant. Really fucks the dog off as his basket is right next to it and when we turn it up for the big films she stomps off.
Actually just checked and mine is the HWD 550 model and costa about 210.00 well worth it though.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003

I bought the YAS-101 a month ago and it does the job. The built in sub woofer is ample.
I researched for aaaaages (4 months at least!) and very nearly bought the Boston soundwares 2.1 system but after reading reviews went for the Yamaha.

It' s quite big though.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
They will make a huge difference but certainly no substitute for s decent 5.1 (or 6.1 in my case) system with a proper amp. Depends how serious you take it all really...

Time to :bounce: this thread, need some informed advice/opinions that I know exist on NSC...

As above, a decent amp and 5/6 speakers plus sub-woofer are the best. However, we've just moved to a new place with a smaller living-room, and my Wharfdales scattered around the old TV look stupid, especially with the wiring spaghetti. The old Denon amp doesn't have enough inputs, and we're replacing the TV with a super new 55inch LG Smart TV.

So, we want to simplify the speakers. First thought was a sound-bar with wireless sub-woofer -wife ordered a Orbitsound M9 for £300 but it turned out to be stereo (!) and sounded crap (very directional), so it's going back.

I'd prefer a proper 5.1 setup with wireless speakers. Any suggestions, or are other sound-bars any better? BTW, I assuming we'll take an optical/digital feed straight out of the TV.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here