• Yes, I would like to see the North stand made a Safe Standing zone

Votes: 459 83.3%
  • No, I don't want Safe Standing at the AMEX

Votes: 92 16.7%

• Total voters

Ian Bairds Fist

Nov 26, 2003
Kingston-upon-Thames
Following on from recent threads about sit/stand conflicts, and plenty of discussion on this board about the Safe Standing campaign, it would be good to get a clear yes/no vote on the topic.

The Safe Standing campaign has gathered significant momentum over the last couple of months and they have the backing of Aston Villa, Brentford, Bristol City, Burnley, Cardiff City, Cryst*l P*lace, Derby County, Doncaster Rovers, Hull City, Peterborough United, Watford, AFC Wimbledon and the Scottish Premier League. The campaign website is well put together and has a video showing how the rail seats are used in Germany.

Let's be clear about this - Safe Standing is not a return to old style terracing that we had at the Goldstone and Priestfield. It involves lines of 'rail seats', essentially a barrier for each row which stops crowd surges. Built into the rails are fold down seats, so that the stand can revert to all seater during concerts of European games - examples below:

red_rail_seats_405.jpg

img179923109.jpg

Several people on this board have said it's a shame that the North stand at the AMEX is so shallow and small. Traditionally the atmosphere at football grounds has originated from a 'Kop' behind one of the goals. Safe Standing will create an atmosphere and allow those who want to be part of that to congregate in one part of the ground. It will leave a clear option for fans:

Want to stand? Go to the North
Want to sit? Go to the South, East or West

I know there's been a similar recent poll on this, but that was more geared towards whether people would move to or away from the North if it was made standing. This poll is a clear yes/no vote that can then be taken to the powers that be at the Club. If the Club see the backing it has on here they will be more inclined to welcome the Safe Standing Roadshow. Myself and a couple of others have already spoken to the SSR about getting a demo down at the AMEX on a matchday and they are prepared to do this, but we need your support first.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Safe standing also allows fans in the front row to sit down if they wish.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Massive yesssssssssssssssssssssss

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Just to expand on this, should it also be considered for the away section?

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
I am against standing whilst it is against the law to do so.

However, I think that the law, which was right at the time, is now outdated and totally unnecessary. As has been said many times we are well behind the rest of Europe on this.

Safe standing as described above should be made legal as soon as possible. I can't believe that anyone would be against it.

It will, of course, cost clubs a lot of money to convert.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I love the idea and would vote for it given the chance as I stand home or away - although I haven't tried the rail seats yet.

Safe standing in the North Stand would be a good compromise at the Amex and ramp up the atmosphere too. I presume that the rail seats allow punters to sit if they choose eg pre-match but would obviously have to stand during the action. I reckon most North Standers would welcome a trial of this at least.

Ironic that we could have been among the Clubs to pilot this but the campaign is gathering momentum just as we are putting in more seats.

Camicus

The reason we have all seaters is because people were getting killed at the football. So safe standing is a big yes from me.

Oct 11, 2005
London
A massive yes.

Its gives fans cheaper tickets and clubs bigger profits.
Increases capacity.
Stops conflicts with stewards.
Creates a fantastic atmosphere.

There are NO reasons not to support this.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
The reason we have all seaters is because people were getting killed at the football. So safe standing is a big yes from me.
Exactly, this has been trailed successfully elsewhere and has worked , the people want it.

ticket it well and you can have some of the missing flock coming back to football :) less confrontation as well I think.

Ian Bairds Fist

Nov 26, 2003
Kingston-upon-Thames
How much do you think it would cost to have it done for the north stand?
See this from the FSF website:

Myth: “Designs used in Germany would, in the UK, require substantial investment by clubs or even rebuilding of entire stands.” Issues around cost and feasibility should be a matter for individual clubs, not for government.

Football clubs are businesses and should be allowed to spend money as they see fit. We think there’s a demand from fans (or customers, if you will) for safe standing areas and that should be a matter for individual clubs rather than government legislation. Since government last reviewed this in 2001 many brand new stadiums have cropped up around the country which could quite easily (and cheaply) have accommodated areas of rail seats. On average 1.8 times as many supporters can fit into these areas as traditional seated areas meaning, after an initial outlay, these areas can rapidly pay for themselves via ongoing ticket sales.

Due to the increased capacity, the club could reduce ticket prices too - opening the AMEX to a bracket of Albion fans that can't afford the crazy £32 seats we have at the moment!!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I am against standing whilst it is against the law to do so.

However, I think that the law, which was right at the time, is now outdated and totally unnecessary. As has been said many times we are well behind the rest of Europe on this.

Safe standing as described above should be made legal as soon as possible. I can't believe that anyone would be against it.

It will, of course, cost clubs a lot of money to convert.

It isn't against the law , you're not committing a criminal offence. It is against the ground regulations , which currently means you can be ejected from the stadium.

Ian Bairds Fist

Nov 26, 2003
Kingston-upon-Thames
Exactly, this has been trailed successfully elsewhere and has worked , the people want it.

ticket it well and you can have some of the missing flock coming back to football :) less confrontation as well I think.

Exactly - removes the current issues in the North with stewards - makes everyone's lives easier. And as I've said above, makes the AMEX affordable to a percentage of fans that are currently priced out of it. Our football club should not be for the wealthiest in Sussex, but for everyone from every part of society.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
Definitely! Would add to the atmosphere tremendously.

The stewards would then be able to have a relaxing afternoon/evening, and hopefully no confrontations would need to happen. :D

Still think this is a few years away from happening though ???

I'm thinking that if the away standing end section at Peterborough is still there in a few months time when we visit, even though it's on a Tuesday night, I think I must just have to pay a visit to enjoy that mental feeling of jumping around at exciting moments during the match :albion2::D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here