Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bristol City, 27/11/12

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Screen Shot 2012-11-28 at 08.20.05.png

It is with great sadness that I learned of the death of Albion legend Dave Sexton OBE on Sunday afternoon. I know Dave was an extremely popular player during his days at the Goldstone Ground and, as a friend and colleague during my time working at the FA, I can tell you that he was held in equally high esteem.

Dave came from a great sporting family but he was a football man through and through. I enjoyed listening to many of Dave's football stories and tales during our numerous hotel stays with the England teams and what always came through was his great love and passion for the game. Above all else though, Dave was a true gentleman and a thoroughly nice man.

It was no surprise Dave was awarded the OBE for his services to football in 2005. It was a richly deserved honour. I, like so many people inside and outside the game of football, will miss Dave. At this sad time our thoughts are with Dave's family and many friends.

CATERING

I am sure most of you will be aware that last week – ahead of Saturday's match with Bolton Wanderers – we took the decision to engage new emergency caterers at the Amex to replace Azure, who had provided catering services to the club since our stadium opened.

Over recent weeks and months we have had major concerns - based on our own observations and, most importantly, from feedback we have received from you, our customers - regarding the service and quality of products provided to you in our lounges and on our concourses.

We attempted to address these various concerns directly with Azure and we had been working through a specific period set aside for improvements. Unfortunately, many major concerns remained unresolved or unaddressed when this time expired towards the end of last week.

So, in the early hours of Friday morning, in difficult circumstances and at very short notice, we engaged Lindley's as the club’s emergency caterers until the end of the season. Lindley's are vastly experienced in the area of stadium catering and can name Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur as two of their more prominent existing partners.

This was not a decision taken lightly by anyone at the football club. No club wants to change its caterer mid season - let alone having to do so 24 hours before more than 26,000 fans arrive for a home match - but it was very important that we acted decisively for our supporters and customers.
As a consequence, Lindley's took on responsibility for all of the concourse catering and for our matchday and non- matchday hospitality arrangements during Friday. And, despite the late change, I am pleased to report we saw significant improvements in all areas on Saturday.

Of course there are still issues to resolve, changes to implement, and further improvements to be made, but it was hugely encouraging for both the club and for Lindley's to hear and read such positive feedback from our supporters after the match.

One concern many of you have raised – both to me personally and via various internet message boards and social media sites – is regarding two of our local products: Piglet's Pantry pies and Harvey's ale. As our two most popular stadium products, these will of course remain on the menu, and fans can rest assured those two Amex favourites are here to stay.

I would like to thank all supporters for their support and patience during this important transition. I'd also like to thank Lindley's for taking on the challenge at such short notice and for making such an excellent start and the teams at both Piglet’s Pantry and Harvey’s of Lewes for their support through the transition, and their continued hard work in supplying the club with great products.

A formal tender process to replace Azure on a longer term basis will commence in the New Year. Lindley's will of course be invited to take part in the tender process along with several other prominent stadium caterers to ensure we provide you with the catering services you deserve and a world class stadium demands.

BEHAVIOUR

In Saturday’s notes I wrote about some elements of minor misbehaviour creeping in amongst the Albion fans.

I am pleased to report that there were no major issues in the home areas on Saturday – so thanks for your support on that request.

However, sadly, there was disorder in the away end. Of course, the vast majority of Bolton fans were well behaved, but unfortunately there was an issue with anti-social behaviour from a small number of individuals.

The prompt actions of our safety team and the South Stand stewards, assisted by Sussex Police, meant that the protagonists were either ejected from the stadium or arrested and order was swiftly restored.

I would like to praise the actions of the club’s stewards, whose professionalism and swift intervention meant this situation did not develop, and to thank them for ensuring everyone could continue to safely enjoy the game.

CRYSTAL PALACE

On Saturday we travel to Crystal Palace for the derby at Selhurst Park. These games have that extra special edge to them, but let’s enjoy the game, keep the rivalry passionate, intense, but not vitriolic, and behave in a manner befitting the Albion. Let’s go there, enjoy the game and please co-operate with the stadium stewards and police, who are there to ensure you can enjoy the match.

Finally, thanks for your continued excellent support. Saturday’s crowd was actually the highest ever number of Brighton fans inside the Amex, and to attract 26,455 on a cold, wet November Saturday was outstanding.

We might not have got the reward we deserved in terms of a win, but I am sure you will all agree the team’s performance was absolutely outstanding, and made for a brilliant spectacle.

Enjoy tonight’s match and we look forward to seeing you back at the Amex during the festive period.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here