Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Official Site] Hammond: We Need To Be At Our Best

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
Dean Hammond is expecting a tough test tonight and believes the Championship is an unpredicatble league...
Dean Hammond is not underestimating tonight’s visitors Bristol City.Last season the Robins did 'the double' over Hammond’s parent club Southampton and the midfielder has warned his team mates that a repeat performance of Saturday's display against Bolton will be needed.
He told seagulls.co.uk, “They had a bit of a hoodoo over Southampton last season and if you look at their team they have some good players.
“They have a manager who came in half way through last season and did really well for them and they beat Middlesbrough 3-1 away from home Saturday, so we are going to have to be on our toes and be at our best.
“I expect they will have a game plan like most teams that come to the Amex because we are strong at home, so we will see what they throw at us.”
Albion’s former captain also mirrored comments made by Gus Poyet on the strength of the Championship but feels it is down to one team to take the iniative for the rest of the season.
“I think the league is stronger this year because everyone is beating everyone and we are seeing results that make you think ‘where did that come from?’
“It’s so strong it maybe just needs a team to keep consistently winning to become the top side. It is still reasonably early days but I do see it as a stronger league compared to last year and there are massive teams in the division.
“It’s really competitive and there are about ten to 14 teams pushing for promotion which makes this league so exciting.”
Hammond was inches away from his first goal since his return to the club against Wanderers at the weekend but has distanced himself from penalty duties after Albion missed their third spot-kick of the season against the Trotters.
“I had the shot and as soon as I hit it I thought it was in but their keeper has had a very good game on the day.
“I think I have had my days though when I take penalties. It takes a lot of nerve to step up and sometimes keepers make saves. It is unfortunate but I expect we will get more penalties this season and that we will score them.”

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here