Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greetings From Bolton

bwfcbob123

Nov 20, 2012
Hi there, I'm from a Bolton Wanderers forum called Burnden Aces. We run a Q&A feature where we get the views of opposition fans ahead of games. If you would like to take part, just answer the questions below:

Brighton currently sit in 7th place in the Championship. How has your season been so far?

Brighton's manager Gus Poyet was linked to the Bolton job after the departure of Owen Coyle last month. How do you rate Poyet as a manager? Would you have been sad to see him leave?

This is the second season that Brighton have played at the Amex Stadium. What are your thoughts on the Seagull's new home?

Do you think that promotion is a realistic aim for the Seagulls and the Wanderers?

Brighton's record signing Craig Mackail-Smith has been on great form this season, scoring nine goals. Who else should the Wanderers be wary of?

Which Bolton player do you think Gus Poyet will be earmarking as a potential threat to the Brighton goal?

And finally, what do you think the final score will be at the Amex on Saturday afternoon?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Hi there, I'm from a Bolton Wanderers forum called Burnden Aces. We run a Q&A feature where we get the views of opposition fans ahead of games. If you would like to take part, just answer the questions below:

Brighton currently sit in 7th place in the Championship. How has your season been so far? Similar to last season (brilliant then rubbish then brillian...etc), but slightly better overall.

Brighton's manager Gus Poyet was linked to the Bolton job after the departure of Owen Coyle last month. How do you rate Poyet as a manager? Would you have been sad to see him leave? He will go on to be a top, top manager one day. Best BHA manager in my life, comfortably. Can be stubborn in certain ways but when his way works, it's glorious to watch.

This is the second season that Brighton have played at the Amex Stadium. What are your thoughts on the Seagull's new home? It's brilliant. Love it.

Do you think that promotion is a realistic aim for the Seagulls and the Wanderers? Probably not this season for either of us, I don't reckon. Although I don't know that much about your current squad if I'm honest.

Brighton's record signing Craig Mackail-Smith has been on great form this season, scoring nine goals. Who else should the Wanderers be wary of?

Will Buckley, Stephen Dobbie, Andrea Orlandi, Bruno.

Which Bolton player do you think Gus Poyet will be earmarking as a potential threat to the Brighton goal?

Kevin Davies.

And finally, what do you think the final score will be at the Amex on Saturday afternoon? 2-1 to the Albion (we have recently regained form, unbeaten in 5 now and generally playing very nice football), but could easily be a draw.

There you go.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Brighton currently sit in 7th place in the Championship. How has your season been so far?

Great start. Dipped recently. Dropped quite a few stupid points (missed pens, etc)

Brighton's manager Gus Poyet was linked to the Bolton job after the departure of Owen Coyle last month. How do you rate Poyet as a manager? Would you have been sad to see him leave?

Gus is 'linked' to every job. The idea of him going to Bolton is laughable. He'd never work for an utter arsehole like Gartside. As for how we (I) rate him - he's been absolutely brillinat for us, but is a bit naive and very stubborn...

This is the second season that Brighton have played at the Amex Stadium. What are your thoughts on the Seagull's new home?

It is comfortably the best stadium in the country outside the Prem. Comfortably.

Do you think that promotion is a realistic aim for the Seagulls and the Wanderers?

play-offs are realistic for both. You should have been aiming for top 2. Surprised how poorly you've done, given how much of your squad you retained.

CMS has not been in (consistently) great form, at all. Buckley is a much better player, and will cause you far more problems.

We always struggle against strong strikers. Kevin Davies will cause us problems.

And finally, what do you think the final score will be at the Amex on Saturday afternoon?

2-1 Albion.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Brighton currently sit in 7th place in the Championship. How has your season been so far? Either brilliant or shit, depending on whether you're talking about the month of October

Brighton's manager Gus Poyet was linked to the Bolton job after the departure of Owen Coyle last month. How do you rate Poyet as a manager? Would you have been sad to see him leave?Gutted

This is the second season that Brighton have played at the Amex Stadium. What are your thoughts on the Seagull's new home?It's amazing and is the reason we're a biggish club again. Everything about it is first class.

Do you think that promotion is a realistic aim for the Seagulls and the Wanderers?Of course. We've only played a third of the season.

Brighton's record signing Craig Mackail-Smith has been on great form this season, scoring nine goals. Who else should the Wanderers be wary of?Will Buckley and Will Hoskins

Which Bolton player do you think Gus Poyet will be earmarking as a potential threat to the Brighton goal?I don't know anyone except Kevin Davies

And finally, what do you think the final score will be at the Amex on Saturday afternoon? 3-0 hopefully. I f***ing hate Bolton.

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand

Season has been brilliant. I worried that we would suffer from second season syndrome but once again the Gus and his orchestra of flair have been in exceptional form and long may that continue!

I rate him as a great manager with huge potential. He still has a lot to learn before going to the next stage that is the Premier League, whether it is with us or without us!

Long overdue and a fantastic football ground to be associated with. For me, it shows how powerful fan power really is in the beautiful game.

For us, it is possible, but I don't want us falling into the trap that Southampton are in and the likes of Derby and Watford were in. I don't want my first season in the Premier League to be fall of losses and misery. We need time to adapt and be a promising competitor in the Championship before pushing seriously for the Premier League.

As for the Wanderers, I'm not convinced one bit. It looks like Freedman has a different challenge on his hands, whether he is the right man is another thing.

William Buckley. The guy has been terrorising defenders on the wing and through the middle with his pace and awesome dribbling ability. And boy can he net a few too! His goals last season alone helped as become strong challengers in the Championship last season.

Adam El-Abd. His fortunes changed when Gus came into play. He became a defensive rock for us under Gus and has not looked back since then. Be wary though, he likes winding up the odd player here and there.

Bruno Saltor! A fantastic asset for us on a free from Valencia. Last season he was marking Messi and Ronaldo so his experience has certainly filled a gap in the squad that has been lacking for some bit since Kish left!

Liam Bridcutt aswell. The guy has been the pivot of our midfield and has always controlled the battle of midfield whenever needed. He has fantastic energy and great vision

I won't mention Vicente. Not even we know where the f*** he is. Sainsbury's or ASDA some guy said once :facepalm:

Do you still have Chris Eagles? Always liked him and don't reckon Marcos Painter will be up to the challenge against him.

2-0. Dougie will be abused for being a Palace man and chants will echo towards him too. Be fantastic stuff

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Woohoo! D'oh! Woohoo!

He is top drawer and has got Brighton playing nice football. Obviously I would have been gutted.

Amazing, it almost matches up to The Withdean

Yes, for The Seagulls

Buckley, Bruno, Bridcutt, Barnes (basically anyone whose name starts with B)

Kevin Davies (I know f*** all about Bolton TBH)

5-2

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Up and down. When we're good, we're very, very good, when we're bad...

Poyet has done brilliantly for us, and is a fantastic character to have managing your club. I'd have been gutted if he'd left. (he was never going to go to Bolton, though.)

It is beautiful. I love it. I can't think of a stadium I've visited that comes close.

Both could make the play offs, neither would survive in the Premier League.

Will Buckley is currently close to unplayable. Bruno will also surprise you...it's a shame that Bridge is missing.

Eagles always looks quite good, and could give us problems in the absence of Wayne Bridge.

2-0 to the Albion.

cowburn86

Sep 30, 2011
Berlin
- Mixed, most Brighton fans would feel as though we should be slightly higher than we are, much more solid at the back with Bridge, Bruno and Kuscack providing much needed stability compared to last season. We still need to convert more chances though.

- I don't think any of us really feared Gus leaving for Bolton, in his mind I think he would like to leave us for Spurs or Chelsea, the good news for us is the only way he will get a look in for those jobs is by taking us up and keeping us up.

- Immense, we are incredibly lucky to have such a wonderful ground, it won't stop some moaning about the cost of a pie or the queue for the train though!

- I'd like to think we will end up in the play-offs, after that anything is possible. I've been surprised how far down Bolton are at this stage and at a guess would say you will finish around 10th.

- Will Buckley has been our best player for the last few games, you better hope your left back is quick else you have problems, Bridcutt will keep the ball moving through our midfield.

- Hoofing it long to Kevin Davies will unfortunately work very effectively against us

- 2-1 Albion

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Pretty good overall. The start got expectations going, however we appear to be out of our mini slump now....we hope.

Upset if he left because I admire any manager that aims to create a legacy their club can progress with even after they have left. He has established a style and ethos through the club that even if he does go, the next appointment will be made to slot right in. You have to admire the likes of WBA and Swansea who seem to have managed this also to great effect. I'd be very sad to see him go, however I firmly believe his legacy will stay with us a long time.

It is an amazing venue. I have few complaints if any, and as an ST holder have sat in different locations around the place at different games.

I would have said play-offs for both teams was a realistic aim, but perhaps not beyond that. I expected Bolton to be higher up than they are though.

I doubt anyone answering this question seriously will not mention Will Buckley. He plays with a boyish enthusiasm and just looks like he loves every second of being a top player. And he is a top player.

We get undone by getting too deep and a clearance gets knocked straight back in from just outside the area. My concern would be the likes of Eagles or Mark Davies cracking one in after we've all been attracted to looking after Kevin Davies in the box.

Hand on heart I'm thinking a 1-1 draw. We need to start well which we don't always do, so in the balance I'd say, I expect Bolton to have an upturn in fortunes soon, just not Saturday!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Mercurial. We are usually playing better than our results indicate - but that's our problem. We're playing better than last season, and are slowly but surely getting there. Thankfully, Gus doesn't have a gun to his head from the chairman to get us up this season.

Poyet is great. English is his second or third language, and he still manages to use it more imaginatively than many whose first language it is. He brought in a style of play not seen at Brighton (nor in the third tier of English football), and he is forever striving for better quality to achieve his ambitions. I don't think 'sad' would be the operative word if he had left for Bolton. 'Mystified' or 'baffled' would be closer to the mark.

Of it's size (upper 20,000s capacity), I've not experienced better in England. It's brilliant.

Realistic, but by no means probable.

The player CMS comes on for.

Everyone. Gus has his opposition looked at carefully.

Dunno. That sort of shit usually comes back to bite me on the bum.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Inconsistent, a bit like last year. We should have more points but we have nothing to blame but our own profligacy. If we were more clinical we'd be much more dangerous. Teams have also developed a habit of sitting back and forcing us to try and break them down, which is a bit of a struggle sometimes.

He has worked wonders for the club and seems destined to go very far (although he still has plenty to learn). I'd be sad to see him go, although I suppose that kind of depends where he goes and who replaces him as well.

Love it. Love it love it love it. It's home, and a damn good one at that.

I think both teams could be in the playoff picture at the end of the season, and from there anything could happen. Problem (and best thing) with this league is that anyone can beat anyone which means predicting who will finish in the top six is a nightmare

Will Buckley. I'd say he's our most dangerous attacking threat. Lightning quick, not afraid to take people on, good finisher... as soon as he gets the ball with a bit of space everyone starts to get excited, almost expectant that he'll score, create a goal or at least go very close. He's had a few injury problems (hamstring, as is so common for players of that ilk) but he seems to be fully fit and at his unplayable best.

Kevin Davies I imagine - we sometimes struggle against a physical presence. Hopefully El Abd will be available to combat that

2-0 (Buckley, CMS)

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex

Brighton currently sit in 7th place in the Championship. How has your season been so far? Almost identical to last season - Brilliant followed by crap followed by brilliant etc

Brighton's manager Gus Poyet was linked to the Bolton job after the departure of Owen Coyle last month. How do you rate Poyet as a manager? Would you have been sad to see him leave? Gutted. BTW, he'll never go to The Reebok. I'm afraid, Gus is an honorary southerner and wouldn't touch anything north of Watford

This is the second season that Brighton have played at the Amex Stadium. What are your thoughts on the Seagull's new home? We've got a big shiny award for having the best new stadium in the world, don't you know?

Do you think that promotion is a realistic aim for the Seagulls and the Wanderers? Yes for both - just not this season

Brighton's record signing Craig Mackail-Smith has been on great form this season, scoring nine goals. Who else should the Wanderers be wary of? William Buckley - he'll tear Bolton apart

Which Bolton player do you think Gus Poyet will be earmarking as a potential threat to the Brighton goal? Davies of course

Heart would love 4-0. Head says 1-0 to the good guys

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

And finally, what do you think the final score will be at the Amex on Saturday afternoon?[/QUOTE
r ya comin down

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

A combo of brilliant mixed with gash

Linked with Bolton :facepalm:

Outstanding

Yes / Not so far

William Buckley, Bruno, Bridge, Dobbie

Eagles

3-1

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

Missing goals, missing penalties and missing Vicente.

I think you were extremely lucky to get Dougie Freedman who will get the players who you have left to work hard. Not really a chance that Gus would leave for Bolton.Why would he?

Spacious inside but expensive. Classy appearance and one of the best for its size in Britain. Needs some finishing touches.

Bolton unwarranted as the season's favourites at the start as a season of consolidation was expected. Now you have Dougie Freedman is exactly the right manager for you. Strong on tactics more than strategy. Reading were in roughly the same position as you at this time least season. This means you will have to start winning straight away to stand any chance. My forecast for the Albion was third with Vicente fit. Cardiff and Middlesbrough seem to be the teams to beat and we didn't.

Watch how the Huddersfield defence coped with Will Buckley for his second goal last week. The two defenders adopted adopted both of the same technique of jumping up in the air and landing on their bums. It didn't work. Macca shows well on the TV scoring the difficult goals and missing the easy ones. The misses are not shown.

Chris Eagles was the only Bolton player in the best Championship team.

Par must be an Albion 2-1 win. However, I think it will be very difficult. Freedman will get your team of misfits working very hard. One player off form for our injury depleted side and we will have no end of trouble.

C: It's not a palindrome! The palindrome of "Bolton" would be "Notlob"!! It don't work!!

O: Well, what do you want?

C: I'm not prepared to pursue my line of inquiry any longer as I think this is getting too silly!

Last edited:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Not beaten anyone decent yet, and, apart from some early season flair, our wins have been close and nervy affairs.

Yes, my hope is that he has a long term plan.

The seats are padded, which is a godsend with all the bumming we do.

No. Your chairman doesn't want promotion and relegation from the premiership does he.

He's been inconsistent to be honest. I'd worry more about Buckley and Ryan Harley.

None. Gus will probably give Kuszczak (if recovered) carte blanche to play rush-keeper.

1-0

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here