Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Cavity Wall Insulation soon to be compulsory?

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
I was told by a British Gas engineer that the government was soon to make this compulsory so best to get this done before the end of 2013.

Does anyone know if this is true? As i would get this year whilst it is free and save thousand down the line.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
British Gas provide a cavity wall insulation service , was he upselling ?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I was told by a British Gas engineer that the government was soon to make this compulsory so best to get this done before the end of 2013.

Does anyone know if this is true? As i would get this year whilst it is free and save thousand down the line.

very doubtful, would cost alot as they'd have to subsidise (which they already do and is added to our energy bills). probably means compulsory on new builds and extensions, or just lieing to upsell.

Scarface

Apr 16, 2004
Burgess Hill
Is cavity wall and thicker loft insulation actually worth it? Does it make the house noticably warmer or do you just see a difference in the bills?

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
I don't think he was upselling as it is all free. He said British gas will come around and do the cavity walls for free.

I was thinking about getting this done but it does leave visible holes in the building exterior. However if this is going to made compulsory i thought i better get it done whilst its free.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
I am not sure when this is to be made compulsory however i think it is free until 2013..

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Quite a few experts reckon that cavity wall insulation can be the cause of dampness and do not recommend it.
Seem to recall Jeff Howell in the Telegraph warning of problems on quite a few occasions.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Don't think they can make it compulsory. Free yes, but I wouldn't have thought you could force people to have it done...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I don't think he was upselling as it is all free. He said British gas will come around and do the cavity walls for free.

for which they receive a lovely fee from the government. i think its the subsidy coming to an endnext year, so they are pushing it before then as they noone will get it otherwise. its pretty expensive iirc. roof insultion is cheaper and more worthwhile (ie saving in energy), so most have it already.

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
I had my walls insulated a couple of months ago as I was unemployed and thought I would take advantage of the grant available. The installer told me it was free to everyone anyway!
There are debates as to whether it is worth having all over the place, for instance one builder I know swears that it may cause damp problems, where as another builder says it is only a problem if there is an existing damp issue.

Bottom line was I asked people who have had it done if there is any difference and the overriding opinion is that it does keep the house warmer.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Is cavity wall and thicker loft insulation actually worth it? Does it make the house noticably warmer or do you just see a difference in the bills?

What you'll notice is that you don't need your heating on as much because the house will stay warmer for longer. Loft and wall insulation will make a difference that you will notice.

I was thinking about getting this done but it does leave visible holes in the building exterior. However if this is going to made compulsory i thought i better get it done whilst its free.

They can inject the wall insulation from the inside if you have simple painted walls and therefore easier to cover up the holes with a bit of polyfiller and touch up paint. Outside is preference, but the holes are not that big, generally they'll go for a junction in the pointing, and once filled they are not easily noticed.

I had my walls insulated a couple of months ago as I was unemployed and thought I would take advantage of the grant available. The installer told me it was free to everyone anyway!
There are debates as to whether it is worth having all over the place, for instance one builder I know swears that it may cause damp problems, where as another builder says it is only a problem if there is an existing damp issue.

Bottom line was I asked people who have had it done if there is any difference and the overriding opinion is that it does keep the house warmer.

Filling the cavity with insulation shouldn't cause a damp problem, however sometimes the process can cause bits of dust and debris to fall down, and they can collect at a lower level and on rare occasions cause a bridge across the cavity for moisture to travel. Like I said this is rare, but can happen, although this can happen over time to cavity walls anyway, especially to older cavity walls with old iron ties where the bricklayers allowed muck to fall down and collect on the ties.

In the loft care should be taken not to block any existing ventilators in the eaves. Some installers will sling 3 layers of loft roll into the roof, block the vents, and voila within a month condensation is dripping from the felt. They just need to make sure around the perimeter the insulation allows a min 50mm space for the air to get into the loft from the vents.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Quite a few experts reckon that cavity wall insulation can be the cause of dampness and do not recommend it.
Seem to recall Jeff Howell in the Telegraph warning of problems on quite a few occasions.
Seen that as well. Apparently you should not consider it if you live in an area where you are at risk of 'wind-driven rain' which probably means most people who live on or near the south and west coasts of the UK. The cavity is there to (1) keep a layer of air which will stop your house getting cold and (2) separate the innner and outer skins so that you don't get damp walls because of rain. Cavity wall insulation bridges the gap.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Insulation is best on the outside of the house.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Insulation is best on the outside of the house.
Depends what you mean by best. It's most effective for most buildings, but wouldn't look great on the outside of most old buildings.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here