Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Official Site] Women: Albion 4 Reading 3

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
Albion Women’s promotion prospects were given a huge boost after a thrilling 4-3 victory over table-toppers, Reading on Sunday...
A Kim Stenning hat-trick and a header from Tammy Waine ensured the Seagulls are now just four points adrift of the league leaders.Albion’s first chance came after a long throw from Lauren Cheshire found Kirsty Barton, who fired wide of the target in the opening minutes.
But the Royals took the lead with 16 minutes on the clock, as Francesca Kirby outran Sara Hinton down the right to unleash a superb low drive past Lucy Mangan at her far post.
But the lead lasted just three minutes, as Waine’s in-swinging corner was met by Stenning’s bullet header which flew into the top corner from close range.
Then after some lovely interplay with Faye Rabson, Catherine O’Hagan found Stenning inside the box, who fired a left-footed drive past Royals keeper Grace Moloney, to give Albion the lead after 22 minutes.
Kirby, the league’s top scorer, then took advantage of some indecisive play between Kerrie Ryan and Hinton to score her 16th goal of the season with a clinical finish past Mangan.
It was a scoreline which was somewhat harsh on Albion going into the break, with Jay Lovett’s side playing some lovely, free-flowing football.
But Stenning once again showed her goal-scoring prowess six minutes after the interval; meeting Waine’s corner with an audacious flick inside the area to complete her second hat-trick this season.
Waine then turned from provider to scorer four minutes later, as she met Barton’s free-kick and powerfully headed home past Moloney to give Albion a two-goal cushion.
The Seagulls could have added more to their tally, when Barton’s shot from 20 yards produced a fine save by Moloney, before Cheshire scuffed a shot inside the area, meeting Waine’s corner.
Kirby continued to lead the fight for Reading, making countless runs towards the Albion box; and saw her free-kick narrowly miss the target with twenty minutes left.
Once again, it was a nervous end to the match for Lovett’s side, as Ryan’s handball saw Reading awarded a free-kick with seven minutes left; Lois Roche then stepped up to perfectly execute the ball past Mangan into the bottom right corner.
But Albion held on to secure a vital three points and arguably their most important win so far his season.
Manager Lovett was full of praise for his side and hopes it will ignite their challenge for promotion.
He told Seagulls.co.uk, “I’m absolutely delighted. It was one hell of a performance from start to finish against a very strong Reading side. If we hadn’t of won then there would’ve been a big gap forming at the top; now we’ve got that win, we’ve closed the gap down and kept ourselves in the title chase.
“It goes to show how good these girls are, beating a Reading side tipped as one of the favourites in this league. We put in a very good performance and deservedly won the game.”
Stenning was also delighted to net another hat-trick and revealed her goal target for the current campaign.
She added, “I’m really happy it’s came against the side top of the league, and in a game we had to win to close the gap.
“I got 20 goals last season and my old coach, Joaquin, told me 30 so that’s what I’m aiming for.”
Albion: Mangan (GK); Cheshire, Ryan (c), James, Hinton; Waine, Barton, Agg (Somes 90+1); O’Hagan (Adams 90+4), Stenning, Rabson. Subs not used: Carter, Strudwick, Stow.

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here