Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

James Mclean - Sunderland refused to wear shirt with poppy on

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
I want to hear why he refused before saying what i want to say. Wouldnt be surprised if its something to do with the troubles in NI, but then Martin O'Neill still wore one.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
After reading the story, McClean seems to have ruffled a few feathers on many occasions. Perhaps he needs to grow up and deflate his head a tad.

SurreySeagulls

Jul 9, 2003
Guildford
Whether you agree or not it is his choice should he chose to wear a poppy shirt. He clearly does not believe in the cause coming from Northern Ireland as he does and chosing to represent Ireland. I persoanlly don't agree with his stance but do respect it. One thing is there have been Irish men and women who have died during the wars and along with them it is really all members of the armed forces who have died fighting conflicts across the globe that we now chose to remember on such a sombre Sunday. We will remember them.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
If everyone got made to wear one, it would be meaningless. He chose not to wear one, fair enough.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
His choice, let's try and have a single day on NSC where people are not getting upset on someone else's behalf?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
The "cause" of those few left in Ireland has nothing to do with the meaning of Remberance. It's about paying some level of respect to all those that gave (and are still giving) their lives to allow us to live freely and in some element of peace. I don't want to see his reasons .. he's a prize twat

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
Suspect it's in response to the activities of the British Army in his home town.

Gullzone

Apr 14, 2012
This Green and Pleasant Land
I want to hear why he refused before saying what i want to say. Wouldnt be surprised if its something to do with the troubles in NI, but then Martin O'Neill still wore one.

I think O'Neil is from NI and McClean may be from the Republic? In any event by refusing to wear the shirt with the poppy is pathetic as he wouldnt be being paid good money to kick a ball around if it wasnt for the ultimate scarifice made by many. Fuckin little twat

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I think O'Neil is from NI and McClean may be from the Republic? In any event by refusing to wear the shirt with the poppy is pathetic as he wouldnt be being paid good money to kick a ball around if it wasnt for the ultimate scarifice made by many. Fuckin little twat

McLean is from Derry.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Was the war not fought so someone could choose whether to wear a poppy or not? If you believe in the idea that the war was fought for freedom.

Gullzone

Apr 14, 2012
This Green and Pleasant Land
McLean is from Derry.

would that be Londonderry

Hey wtf people should move on - many on both sides suffered in NI but Rememberance Day is special for our nation and all those that never returned home from all wars.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Each to their own. If whatever his opinions are made him choose not to wear a poppy, it's not our right to demand him to tell us why. Or if it is then it's his right not to answer if he so chooses. I don't believe myself to be in a position to judge, and nor, do i think, a generally hideous newspaper like the Mail can either other than to carry out another ploy to sell newspapers by purely looking to rile.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Anyone know if Jurgen Klinnsman wore one yesterday at Everton?

Watched the rugby last night (France-Australia) nice to see the Aussies wearing the poppy on their sleeves

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here