Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leeds, 02/11/12

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Screen Shot 2012-11-10 at 23.37.10.png

I would like to open tonight’s column by wishing our disability scheme a very happy 15th birthday!

Launched in 1997, by Teresa Sanders and Steve Ford, the scheme has now grown into a major initiative that we are all extremely proud of here at the club. Teresa and her team of staff, volunteers and full-time apprentices are now assisting over 4,000 young people and adults with a variety of initiatives helping our participants to play and coach football, with education needs, health and wellbeing and giving those involved greater confidence by becoming part of our football club. The scheme has won praise across the football world, with The FA labelling AITC's scheme as the blueprint for all clubs. Teresa and her team will be presented to the crowd at half-time tonight, and the big screens will be showing a video highlighting their accomplishments of the past 15 years. I am sure you will join me in showing your appreciation for their great achievements.

Talking of appreciation, your support at our last two away matches was exceptional. We had two long hauls within a week, and to see Albion fans in such numbers at both games was hugely encouraging. I know the efforts our fans make travelling to away matches up and down the country is very much appreciated by Gus and the team. On the home front, however, one minor negative, is that we have seen a small increase in the levels of persistent standing and swearing inside the Amex. This involves a very small minority of individuals. While I appreciate that we do not want to dampen down the passion and enthusiasm, it is essential we maintain the brilliant, family friendly atmosphere we have here at the Amex.

It was one of the first things that struck me on my initial visit to the stadium. The fans’ backing of the team was loud, passionate and unswerving but, by the same token, everyone was incredibly friendly and welcoming.

It is essential that as a club we do not lose that aspect of our culture. It's exactly why the Amex was voted the world’s best new stadium! Let's not lose sight of what's been achieved – or why our attendances continue to rise while other clubs are finding things much tougher. Thanks for your co–operation.

Finally, I know you will give a huge welcome to Alan Mullery who is here tonight as our special guest. I know Alan’s place in Albion history, having taken the club from the old Third Division into the top flight in the late 1970s. We are hosting a special celebration dinner to honour that achievement here at the Amex on 21st March 2013. Many of the players and staff who were part of that success will be joining Alan on what is set to be a very special night for him and for our club.

I had the pleasure of working with Alan for five years at Spurs, where he is also held in extremely high regard, and I know from talking to him the affection Alan has for the Albion and the fans here. Indeed, Alan's very high standing within the game generally is underlined by the fact that the current England manager Roy Hodgson will also be attending the March event. Ticket information for the celebration dinner can be found on page six, so please make sure you book early for this event.

Enjoy tonight - and let’s all put on a good display for the Sky TV cameras! I look forward to welcoming everyone back to the Amex early next week for the visit of Peterborough United.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here