Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can anyone remember the shops in the old Churchill Square?

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
churchill_square_1960s.jpg

Churchill_square.jpg

I remember Intersport and the perpetual "closing down sale"!

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Not in the old Churchill Square, but when Eisnegger had a store where Hollisters is at the moment they had a closing down sale for about five years

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
WOW memory lane, I worked in the Tesco right at the back in 1979 for 3 months until I joined the army

Seagulls Downunder

Mar 3, 2008
Sydney
WOW memory lane, I worked in the Tesco right at the back in 1979 for 3 months until I joined the army

Think there was a Bejam next door which then became Icelands and what about Habitat, what kid didn't go in there and hide amongst the bean bags.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I remember I bought my SNES from the Dixons at the back.

And also when I was a kid I tried running up the down escalator, tripped, and ripped my knee open on the serrated edge.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Think there was a Bejam next door which then became Icelands and what about Habitat, what kid didn't go in there and hide amongst the bean bags.

Indeed there was - remember going there regularly with my Mum during school holidays to do the weekly shop.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
I didn't realise so many streets were lost in the making of that 60's concrete block. Bit before my time but anyone remember the old streets and what was on them?
Cannon Street, Artillery Street, Russell Street and Granville Place (below) to name a few.

grenville_place.jpg

Old street map around Western Rd (just look how streets and pubs were lost and a meat market, a whole community!)

churchill_square_past.jpg

Then in the early 60's

churchill_square_present.jpg

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009

Habitat was the first place I thought of. My mum f***ing loved that place. Me and my brother used to go into HMV while she trawled round Habitat like some drooling homeware obsessive.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
That computer game shop in the dingy corner next to the public toilets.
WHSmith Record Shop.

:thumbsup:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I spent a couple of weeks at the Co-Op for an induction when I started with them .

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here