Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who are the best players in the Championship?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I have posing this question for a bit. After one season, we should have some idea by now, although I do not know that much about the relegated teams. Chris Eagles has always looked good.

I have pencilled in a team, but I can't find a right back that is outstanding every match. I was not that impressed by Richards (Ipswich) but there were not many others.

One player really stands out: Peter Whittingham, a goalscoring midfielder. There are quite a few players like Matt Phillips who played well against us, but was not so good away from Bloomfield Road. Others like Charlie Austin who looked a very goal scorer but did not do much else. Now that Billy Sharp is fit, he may cause trouble if he can get service.

Full team later.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
A fully fit Craig Bellamy is one of the best players in this league

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Robinson
Bruno Woodgate Mills Konchesky
Phillips Leadbitter Whittingham Ince
Austin Rhodes​

Would be the best in my opinion. Bridge only on loan, but could come into the side quite comfortably.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Kuszczak
??? Woodgate Hudson Bridge
M Philips Eagles Whittingham
Buckley Austin Helguson

Luke Steele, Emnes, Sharp, Becchio, Morgan (Leicester), Ince, ???

Injured: Vicente, Bellamy, Jutkiewicz

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Kuszczak
??? Woodgate Hudson Bridge
M Philips Eagles Whittingham
Buckley Austin Helguson

Luke Steele, Emnes, Sharp, Becchio, Morgan (Leicester), Ince, ???

Injured: Vicente, Bellamy, Jutkiewicz

Eagles instead of Ince? Helguson? Controversial. I struggled to think of the best strikers in this league because there a few who score goals but I don't think there are that many who could step up and do it in the Premier League. Becchio probably couldn't, but he is very good at this level and it's the same story with Billy Sharp. I wouldn't have Jutkiewicz in the team, no chance. Scott McDonald of Middlesbrough is very good and is well worthy of being on the bench in my team. I think Carlos Edwards is second best to Bruno in the right back stakes.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I have pencilled in a team, but I can't find a right back that is outstanding every match. I was not that impressed by Richards (Ipswich) but there were not many others.

Who? There isn't a player called Richards in the Ipswich squad, their right back is normally Carlos Edwards who on his day is a very good player, especially going forward.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Who? There isn't a player called Richards in the Ipswich squad, their right back is normally Carlos Edwards who on his day is a very good player, especially going forward.

Edwards is whom I meant.

I was actually thinking of Richardson (Sunderland) whom I thought was the best right back I had seen .

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Edwards is whom I meant.

I was actually thinking of Richardson (Sunderland) whom I thought was the best right back I had seen .

Would that be Kieran Richardson, the (converted) left back who now plays for Fulham?

I see nobody has mentioned Zaha :bigwave:

Why would we? All he can do is run fast and fall over. Phillips can cross a ball as well as run very fast and fall over.

There has to be a place for Boyd in the team.

Not in the Championship I don't think, still a good player but certainly no better than Whittingham, Eagles, Ince, Phillips or even Danny Murphy.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Eagles instead of Ince? Helguson? Controversial. I struggled to think of the best strikers in this league because there a few who score goals but I don't think there are that many who could step up and do it in the Premier League. Becchio probably couldn't, but he is very good at this level and it's the same story with Billy Sharp. I wouldn't have Jutkiewicz in the team, no chance. Scott McDonald of Middlesbrough is very good and is well worthy of being on the bench in my team. I think Carlos Edwards is second best to Bruno in the right back stakes.

Pencilled in. Really, I should include a defensive midfielder. These players do not stand out so much. All the teams are looking for that magical goalscoring forward.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I think you'd have to do a lot of research to find a better individual holding midfielder than Liam Bridcutt.

Brighton Boy

Nov 11, 2003
Lancing
Robinson

Bruno Woodgate C.Davies Bridge

D.Murphy Whittingham

Zaha koren Ince

. Austin​

Subs tommy k, Morgan, cox, eagles, emnes, andy king , dann

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Would that be Kieran Richardson, the (converted) left back who now plays for Fulham?

Why would we? All he can do is run fast and fall over. Phillips can cross a ball as well as run very fast and fall over.

Not in the Championship I don't think, still a good player but certainly no better than Whittingham, Eagles, Ince, Phillips or even Danny Murphy.

I forgot about Danny Murphy. At this level, I think he would have to be in the side. Jol ain't no fool. Kieran Richardson.

Trippier was one possibility for RB, but he is not that good at the defending bit.

Scott Dann, I don't really know about. Good call.

I excluded McCormack.

Last edited:

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Anyone leaving out Zaha is being rather petulant, he is quite clearly in the top 3 players in the league along with Ince and Austin imho (Vicente if he was fit too of course).

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I forgot about Danny Murphy. At this level, I think he would have to be in the side. Jol ain't no fool. Kieran Richardson.

Trippier was one possibility for RB, but he is not that good at the defending bit.

Scott Dann, I don't really know about. Good call.

I don't think Trippier is a bad shout for best right back actually, he's got potential and can hit a ball from 20 yards....

Scott Dann is one of the most overrated defenders in professional football, along with Roger Johnson. Both relegated with Birmingham and then signed by Premier League clubs who then got relegated.... The pair of them are both distinctly average. Dann would actually have to improve to pass for average.

Anyone leaving out Zaha is being rather petulant, he is quite clearly in the top 3 players in the league along with Ince and Austin imho (Vicente if he was fit too of course).

No, I completely disagree. I've never been impressed by Zaha, certainly not technically. Needs to leave there to fulfill it though.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I think you'd have to do a lot of research to find a better individual holding midfielder than Liam Bridcutt.

Nicky Bailey for Middlesborough has impressed me during their two trips to the Amex. Does an excellent defensive job just like bridcutt but has a little extra quality in an attacking sense.

COYP

Oct 1, 2012
Zaha managed to impress enough alongside Williams at the Amex. I guess you're choosing to omit him because he plays for us. Its fair enough but I can't wait for him to impress again at Selhurst in a month :)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here