Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Google Nexus 4 thread

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Time to be excited! The critically acclaimed Nexus 4 handset is set to be unleashed on us lucky punters later this month.

Nexus – Google

More powerful than any handset on the market today and featuring the very latest version of the world's best selling mobile OS, this really does look like the phone to beat.

Early reviews have come out universally praising its specs and design, although the fact it's only going to initially be available in 8gb and 16gb variants will piss some people off. Personally I think 16gb is more than adequate for a phone however.

But the real killer blow? You can pick this bad boy up, unlocked, for just £239.

That's right, £239.

That's a price point that other top end handsets can't even get close to. Consider that the best phone on the market right now, Samsung's Galaxy S3, will cost you £400. And the widely derided iPhone 5 is a staggering £529 on its own. That's more than TWICE the price for a significantly inferior product.

HOW have Google and LG reached this ludicrously low price?

I confidently predict this handset will soon become the best selling smartphone of all time.

So when will YOU be buying YOURS?

nexus4-1.png

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
This looks very good. Just looked up your link and I am impressed, may get the 16gb and swap out my S2. Need to look up reviews etc. but looks like I might be buying one on the 13th!

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
it's a phone. no big deal

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

by simply not charging much, much more than the cost to produce and retail. iirc the iphone5 cost just over $200 to make. they've been getting away with stonking margins unheard of elsewhere in IT (PCs have single digit profit margins for example).

seems to me you could get this and a 7 or 10" Nexus Tablet for the price of one iPhone?

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Time to be excited! The critically acclaimed Nexus 4 handset is set to be unleashed on us lucky punters later this month.

Nexus – Google

More powerful than any handset on the market today and featuring the very latest version of the world's best selling mobile OS, this really does look like the phone to beat.

Early reviews have come out universally praising its specs and design, although the fact it's only going to initially be available in 8gb and 16gb variants will piss some people off. Personally I think 16gb is more than adequate for a phone however.

But the real killer blow? You can pick this bad boy up, unlocked, for just £239.

That's right, £239.

That's a price point that other top end handsets can't even get close to. Consider that the best phone on the market right now, Samsung's Galaxy S3, will cost you £400. And the widely derided iPhone 5 is a staggering £529 on its own. That's more than TWICE the price for a significantly inferior product.

I confidently predict this handset will soon become the best selling smartphone of all time.

So when will YOU be buying YOURS?

Has google kidnapped you? The code word is Mackerel.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
This looks very good. Just looked up your link and I am impressed, may get the 16gb and swap out my S2. Need to look up reviews etc. but looks like I might be buying one on the 13th!

Do a quick Google, there are plenty of glowing reviews already, and it was only officially announced on Monday.

by simply not charging much, much more than the cost to produce and retail. iirc the iphone5 cost just over $200 to make. they've been getting away with stonking margins unheard of elsewhere in IT (PCs have single digit profit margins for example).

seems to me you could get this and a 7 or 10" Nexus Tablet for the price of one iPhone?

I think you raise a good point. And with Google's weight behind it, there's no need to try and cream a massive profit on each handset. The big G will be happy just to have it proliferate the market, boosting sales and advertising through Google Play.

I intend to pick up the new 32GB Nexus 7 tablet to complement this beautiful Nexus 4 handset. Both products more capable than Apple's equivalent offerings, both a fraction of the price.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I intend to pick up the new 32GB Nexus 7 tablet to complement this beautiful Nexus 4 handset. Both products more capable than Apple's equivalent offerings, both a fraction of the price.

Really? Does it have iOS on it?! If so, I'm sold.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Wireless charging as well.

To think I took the piss out of my wife a few years ago when I said her phone was wireless, and she asked does that include the charging!! I'm not going to tell her about it to be honest....

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Looks a bit cheap though.

That was my initial concern, and a criticism I'd level at previous Nexus handsets as well as most Android handsets we've seen to date. However most hands on reviews have been full of praise for the build quality, and although you can't really see from the pictures, it has a glass covered back!

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
No 4g though, quite disappointing.

I admit this was a bit of a surprise but to be honest it doesn't put me off.

For a start there is no 4G coverage around here, secondly there is only one network capable of 4G speeds at the moment (and I'm not with them) and thirdly, when it does roll out it is going to be a lot more expensive. I think I will wait until it is universally available and more reasonably priced, by which time I will have upgraded from this handset anyway

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here