Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

good documentaries?

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Depends on your interest really,war,natural history,social living....I love all the war documentries being a budding war historian... all documentries are good....on Sky that is my main channel...my most used channel.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
im looking for ones available to view online.. some decent war documentaries would be good if you can recommend?

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Donald Trump/Aberdeen golf film is supposed to be excellent.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The Donald Trump/Aberdeen golf film is supposed to be excellent.

"You've been Trumped". Yes, that is very good. I recommend "Surviving Progress". A doc about the way humans have embraced progress but how it is ultimately destroying us. It is a lot less wishy washy than it sounds, a really interesting one. Also "Little Dieter Needs To Fly" Werner Herzog directs and tells the true story they turned into "Rescue Dawn", about a pilot shot down over Laos at the eve of teh Vietnamese war, his capture, imprisonment and subsequent escape attempt. Heartwrenching and truly staggering story.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Some big ones would be:

Bowling for Columbine (not so much an anti-gun film, more an attempt to understand america's gun culture why gun crime is a bigger issue there)
Supersize Me (Analysis of fast food culture)
Catfish (though that may or may not be a genuine documentary)
Religulous (Bill Maher takes a cynical look at religion)

Also good
The Aristocrats (a look at comedy and obscene humour through the deconstruction and analysis of "the dirtiest joke ever" by 100s of top comedians (including the likes of george carlin, eddie izzard, billy connelly, gilbert gottfried, eric idle, chris rock, sarah silverman and a load of other funny people. I know that description makes it sound quite dry, but it's actually a funny documentary).
This Film is not yet rate. (a look at film censorship and the bias to studios)
Jesus Camp (a look at a summer camp for young christians, quite scary)
An Inconvenient Truth (climate change)
Yes Men (anti capitalist pose as business men at several events)

I've not seen these, but they have a good reputation
Spellbound (following kids at a spelling bee contest)
Waiting for Superman (a look at the us education system)

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
An amazing football documentary from 1981 called 'City' all about the end of Malcolm Allison's second spell at Manchester City with John Bond taking his place. Allison then joins Crystal Palace and has a chance to avenge his sacking, when the two sides meet. Palace get thrashed.

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
A factual drama rather than a documentary, but I recently watched 'The Government Inspector' on Channel 4 OD about David Kelly and Iraq. Very good.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not quite documentary but:-

Unreported World is back on Chl4 @ 7:30pm tomorrow.

Always worth a look.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here