Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Local-ish theme park worth visiting

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Having been lucky enough to visit Orlando quite regularly, I've always been a bit snobby about our local theme parks for no real good reason in all likelihood.

So, if I wanted to visit one this week, with 10 and 2.5 year olds, what would be best out of Legoland, Thorpe Park, Chessington and Paultons/Peppa Pig Planet?

Happy to make it a 2 day visit, and might consider some sort of premium queue-busting option where available.

Tell me NSC, what would be best?

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I went to Paulton's Park near Southampton and remember it being quite good for kids. Obviously it's not part of your list though. Chessington is good, but it just a tamer Thorpe Park (so more suitable for kids) and EVERY child should go to Legoland Windsor at least once. It's the LAW.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Paultons will have much more for the younger one.

Yeah, I'd probably agree, although it's a LONG time since I've been there, maybe fifteen years! Legoloand would be the next choice for young 'uns, and I agree that Chessington and Thorpe Park are probably more for older kids / young adults

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Paultons is excellent for the young-uns, not much queueing whenever I've been there either. And I don't remember it being a rip-off either, which cannot be said for the likes of Legoland, where you need to take out an overdraft if you intend buying the family lunch there.

Not much at Paultons for for teenagers, but at the ages you mention for your clan, its a Hoot Hoot.

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
If your little ones like Peppa Pig then Paultons Park with Peppa Pig World is a good day out. We took the mini-drebins there last year and both loved it. I was fearing hours of queueing with impatient children but despite it seeming quite full we never really queued for over 20 minutes. It´s nicely laid out and there's plenty of things to do inside if it gets a bit rainy or cold.

We spent the whole day in the Peppa Pig bit and never got round to the rest of Paultons Park which was a shame because that looks good too, especially for children who are 10 or older. My brother went recently and booked a two day pass plus hotel package quite cheaply.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
If your little ones like Peppa Pig then Paultons Park with Peppa Pig World is a good day out. We took the mini-drebins there last year and both loved it. I was fearing hours of queueing with impatient children but despite it seeming quite full we never really queued for over 20 minutes. It´s nicely laid out and there's plenty of things to do inside if it gets a bit rainy or cold.

We spent the whole day in the Peppa Pig bit and never got round to the rest of Paultons Park which was a shame because that looks good too, especially for children who are 10 or older. My brother went recently and booked a two day pass plus hotel package quite cheaply.

Agree, Paulton's Park is excellent. Free parking too, unlike Legoland.
My 4 and 6 year old's were happy doing the 'Peppa' section and then moving onto the 'bigger/older' bit, where there are still more rides for the younger ones.

Anyone else get air on the "Wave Runner' ? :)

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Value for money definitely Paultons at 10 years old you should be ok but borderline.

DanielT

Paultons. I went last year and the peppa pig bit was really well done. But then you've got the rest of the park which is quite big. Few good adult rides (which will be fine for your 10 year old) and loads for kids of all ages

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Croydon.
It's a sort of adventure park, themed on Pikeys.
Best of all it's free, even the stuff in the shops.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Another vote for Paultons here. 10 to 12 is about max. Plenty of rides but not as scary as the bigger parks. If the kids get through everything, there's Marwell Zoo up the road.

Lateral thinking - our girls love Woodlands Park near Dartmouth, nearer to you (relatively) and cheaper. Save the other parks mentioned until they are both old enough to fully enjoy them. Glorious Devon (even in October) or Surrey (where the Palace come from, you decide????

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Lateral thinking - our girls love Woodlands Park near Dartmouth, nearer to you (relatively) and cheaper. Save the other parks mentioned until they are both old enough to fully enjoy them. Glorious Devon (even in October) or Surrey (where the Palace come from, you decide????

Fairly big rides though Norman, specially that sledge thing, if it's still there. (The Devorn one.) For Boys there is the little known Pecorama at Seaton all the model trains you need and more.

Tory Boy

Jun 14, 2004
Brighton
Nothing is a patch on what you can find in Orlando.

But out of those you list I would go to Thorpe Park first and Chessington second.

TB

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
Nothing is a patch on what you can find in Orlando.

But out of those you list I would go to Thorpe Park first and Chessington second.

TB

Nine of us (youngest 18, oldest, me, 55) spent nine hours at Chessington yesterday and had a totally brilliant time. Excellent value when you use your tesco vouchers, £10 a person!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Paultons is excellent for the young-uns, not much queueing whenever I've been there either. And I don't remember it being a rip-off either, which cannot be said for the likes of Legoland, where you need to take out an overdraft if you intend buying the family lunch there.

Not much at Paultons for for teenagers, but at the ages you mention for your clan, its a Hoot Hoot.

Agree, Paulton's Park is excellent. Free parking too, unlike Legoland.
My 4 and 6 year old's were happy doing the 'Peppa' section and then moving onto the 'bigger/older' bit, where there are still more rides for the younger ones.

Anyone else get air on the "Wave Runner' ? :)

Paultons. I went last year and the peppa pig bit was really well done. But then you've got the rest of the park which is quite big. Few good adult rides (which will be fine for your 10 year old) and loads for kids of all ages

Another vote for Paultons! My 8, 6 and 2 year old love it. Their new Peppa Pig would is amazing, beautifully done and a real joy for the kids. Paultons is a really unpretentious theme park, plenty to do on a day out (Peppa Pig is only a small part of the park), not ridiculous queues, and not spread out too far either. We've had a couple of top days there. Ideal for a family with kids not yet in their teens, perfect for a 10 and 2.5 yr old :thumbsup:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

It will be en route to the Amex for Friday night's game so probably slightly out the way, but thanks for the mention which has been duly recorded for the future.

Paulton's it is - thanks all!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Bit late I know, but given the age I concur on Paulton Park.

Small queues too and it's fun. Don't expect big rides but good enough for them and if you're lucky you can stay on the log flume over and over again!!!!

And for value for money it is definitely better than the rest at that age.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here