Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet praises Albion defence [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
[h=3]Poyet praises Albion defence[/h]9:30am Monday 29th October 2012 in Albion By Andy Naylor
Wayne Bridge gets stuck in against Blackpool
ALBION boss Gus Poyet has demanded goals against Leeds at The Amex on Friday night after praising his defence as “different class”.
The Seagulls needed a gift for Ashley Barnes from Blackpool to end a goal drought of over five-and-a-half hours in the 1-1 draw at Bloomfield Road.
But Saturday's stalemate means the Seagulls have still not conceded more than one goal in a game in the Championship this season.
Poyet told the Argus: “That is different class, top, top defending. Remember as well we don’t go into games to defend.
“If we were a defensive team then only conceding once would be our challenge but it’s not our challenge. Our main thing is to go and score goals and produce and control the game, things that we didn’t do on Saturday.
“We were still good enough to get a result because of the experience and the players we have got at the back who have played at the highest level.
“That side of things it’s fine. Now it’s making sure that soon, and I mean in the next game, we put two or three nice goals in to celebrate and be happy.
“We didn’t create enough and that’s up to us to sort it. We were not very goodso we need to be really happy with a point and make sure we go back to the performances I like and, of course, win games.”
Albion have edged back up a place to ninth and a first victory in seven matches against Leeds in front of the Sky cameras would temporarily lift them into a play-off spot.
Ashley Barnes admitted he got a bit lucky with his fourth goal of the season.
But the Albion striker would love to get 20 tap-ins this term.
Barnes was rewarded for chasing a lost cause when, with Andrew Crofts’ help, he made the most of poor defending to nudge his side in front at Blackpool.
He said: “The ball just dropped and Crofty got a little nick and I was in amongst it.
“Luckily enough I was able to just stretch to hit it home.
“I didn’t even know if it was going to cross the line but luckily enough it did.”
He added: “My goals seem to come from pull-backs or something like that but I’ll take that one.
“Hopefully I get 20 of them. That would be brilliant!”

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here