Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Virus help

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My brother in law has told me that he had tremendous problems with a virus that shows on his PC as a charge from various police forces for a statutory fine of £80 which has to be paid in order for your internet to work properly again. Apparently it turns off Norton Anti Virus and renders it as useless. Has anybody experienced this and if so how do you overcome it.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Start PC in safe mode with networking - press f8 as it's booting.
then download and run malwarebytes, do a full scan
should clear it

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
It's easy I had this the other day, Quick google sorted it out. Turn it off, enter safe mode and then go on control panel and restore it to a previous point. Not long after and its sorted.

Hope he gets it sorted.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
It's easy I had this the other day, Quick google sorted it out. Turn it off, enter safe mode and then go on control panel and restore it to a previous point. Not long after and its sorted.

Hope he gets it sorted.

If you do a restore you are potentially leaving the virus there to re-appear later, it changes certain files and downloads more shite.
Use a proper removal tool

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
thought this was another Palace thread...

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Start PC in safe mode with networking - press f8 as it's booting.
then download and run malwarebytes, do a full scan
should clear it

This. My parents computer had a similar one (this one claimed to be another anti-virus software) - i did the above and it worked a treat.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I had this recently as well. Malwarebytes got rid of the bugger.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Because even viruses (virii?) appreciate what a massive waste of resources Norton is? :D

LOL. I understood it had long since improved re resources, but surely it's useless if a virus can switch it off!?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I'm currently doing a scan with malwarebytes , getting to be a necessity after everytime I've been watching a live stream earlier in the day.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have Norton 360 on my laptop and PC is it recommended by many that I should also install malwarebytes free download and operate that occasionally. Ia lo have Amigo 360 speed up but is that a different operation and cover different aspects.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I had a mutant of that virus that actually stopped the "start in safe mode" option too.
I had to boot from the install disk and delete the offending file.
If you look at some of the Google articles on this I LOL'd at those who said they paid the fine and the problem didn't go away.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here