Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calling All Ex-Pats

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Well those in Europe anyway

Just recieved an e-mail from someone else who lives down here in southern France

It said from 1st November satelite tv will no longer work ???

WTF

Anyone shed some light on this?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Really hoping that this is bullshit. There would SURELY have been some announcement on this?

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Viewing UK satellite programmes in Continental Europe has long been illegal. Most people just bypass it, though. We lost BBC1 and BBC2 while living in Greece. Then a few years later, we gained ITV. Some of the companies change satellites from time to time and that can affect the channels you get.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
Can't see how they can stop the signal in France and keep it live in the UK? Sounds dodgy advice to me.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Really hoping that this is bullshit. There would SURELY have been some announcement on this?

Same as,came from a lady who has a pitch at the local market,were on her e-mailing list

right out of the blue this one,if all else fails,i'll get a bigger dish!

perhaps she's knocking some out on the cheap LOL

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
As long as you have a valid card (ie registered in uk), how will sky know where you are ?

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
As long as you have a valid card (ie registered in uk), how will sky know where you are ?

could be my problem,don't have one,just get freeview channels

might force my hand this one

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I was going to move to Cyprus and was told that Sky can identify exactly where the card is being used, especially if it is not the registered address of issue, and were making plans to stop ex pats watching sky there.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
I was going to move to Cyprus and was told that Sky can identify exactly where the card is being used, especially if it is not the registered address of issue, and were making plans to stop ex pats watching sky there.

Never heard that but with the newer cards and fancy bits, suppose it could be true.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Never heard that but with the newer cards and fancy bits, suppose it could be true.

Like you I don't know for certain but that is what I was told. I do know of somebody in this country who lent his sky equipment to his daughter who lived nearby and Sky contacted him and told him it was being used in another address. So would assume the use in another country is easier to detect.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
The only way they might know is if the phone line was plugged in. If it isn't then the box is merely a passive receiver.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Well those in Europe anyway

Just recieved an e-mail from someone else who lives down here in southern France

It said from 1st November satelite tv will no longer work ???

WTF

Anyone shed some light on this?

Astra 2F satellite has recently been launched and will replace another satellite (Astra 1N which will go to it's intended location). It will be brought into service early in November once numerous tests have been successfully completed. For UK and ROI viewers they won't notice any difference as this satellite has 2 coverage beams. Now the bad news , it will have a UK spot beam which basically means there is a more tightly focussed coverage area. Ex pats with large dishes might pick up a signal as far down as central France but those in Spain and southern France won't get a signal regardless of the size of their dish.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Astra 2F satellite has recently been launched and will replace another satellite (Astra 1N which will go to it's intended location). It will be brought into service early in November once numerous tests have been successfully completed. For UK and ROI viewers they won't notice any difference as this satellite has 2 coverage beams. Now the bad news , it will have a UK spot beam which basically means there is a more tightly focussed coverage area. Ex pats with large dishes might pick up a signal as far down as central France but those in Spain and southern France won't get a signal regardless of the size of their dish.

So the same problem for every satellite received service? Freesat included :down:

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch

any ideas how to get around this

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here