Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is anything different from last season?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
1) Flying start, with a nice run of early fixtures, against struggling teams.
2) Top of the table and rising expectations.
3) Wheels come off..team starts sliding.
4) A team previously high on confidence, then, apparently doen't know where its next win is coming from...hence a long winless run ( predict this will take in at least Blackpool and Leeds...therefore at least 7 games...last season was 9 )
5) Manager apologising to fans...seems powerless to do anything...its like a virus, a malaise spreading through the team.
6) A team that looks like scoring with every attack, then, can't hit a barn-door at 3 paces.
7) Manager states team needs refreshing...big target man essential.
8) Team starts every game slowly, finds itself behind and lacks confidence to get back into game.
9) Fans all feel same thing. Once a bad run starts its going to continue. Nothing is being done to correct it.There is no plan B. Teams seem to work us out very quickly. There is no imagination. No surprises in store.
10) Whenever we play a side in the top 10, we are not going to win. In fact, we are normally grateful for even a point. ( Thus far...defeats v Hull, Middsboro, Leicester and draw with Cardiff )
So, has anything changed? Well, the defence looks tighter. Therefore, we are not getting hammered and only losing games 1-0 ( four so far )
Anything else.....I will leave it to you.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Goals conceded? We have been a bit unfortunate in that we have conceded from deflections recently, otherwise it would be less.

We deserved to lose the games we lost last season, I'm not sure we have actually been outplayed by ANYONE this season??

Edit, should have read to point 10 before posting but I still feel we are in a much better place than we were this time last year. Get a target man in and a bit more luck at BOTH ends of the field and we'll be flying again

We will be in the mix come season's end imo.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
Defence has been sorted, defensive midfielders sorted , attacking side of the side is still woeful hence why we are not scoring

Barnsley 5
Sheff Wed 3
Burnley 3
Millwall 2

The attacking part isn't woeful, but woefully inconsistent. We need to learn how to win ugly once in a while

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Defence has been sorted, defensive midfielders sorted , attacking side of the side is still woeful hence why we are not scoring
This.

The stupid thing is, the chances are nevertheless being made in most games. OK, Birmingham we bossed without looking like scoring but we created enough chances to win 2 games against Middlesborough and then missed a penalty against Leicester which would have given us a deserved draw.

But still, I want to know why we are playing with 5 midfielders when we have two of the best fullbacks in the league? We don't need 5 midfielders. Barnes should be playing up top with CMS instead of this withdrawn link-man role he's being asked to play.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011

perfectly summed up - Amazed that No Striker has been added over the summer TBH. AMAZED

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
When we played them, Sheff Wed were in the top 6. Backson is right, it's the consistency that needs to improve as we can score goals.
The league table meant jack shit after 5 or 6 games, because any result could move a team about six places. The fact is Sheff Wed are bottom 3 now because they are wank. Look who they played before they played us.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The league table meant jack shit after 5 or 6 games, because any result could move a team about six places. The fact is Sheff Wed are bottom 3 now because they are wank. Look who they played before they played us.

I realise that but it does affect the argument that we can't beat top 6 sides. Who knows who will be in the top 6 when it comes to the end of the season? The table is so tight, it changes every week.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
It's depressingly similar to last season, but with better players, so the only conclusion is that the system is NOT working

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's depressingly similar to last season, but with better players, so the only conclusion is that the system is NOT working

I might be wrong here but I would be quite happy with last season's finish in the top 10. Nobody likes it when we have a run of not winning games, but some fans have more patience than others.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
1) Flying start, with a nice run of early fixtures, against struggling teams.
2) Top of the table and rising expectations.
3) Wheels come off..team starts sliding.
4) A team previously high on confidence, then, apparently doen't know where its next win is coming from...hence a long winless run ( predict this will take in at least Blackpool and Leeds...therefore at least 7 games...last season was 9 )
5) Manager apologising to fans...seems powerless to do anything...its like a virus, a malaise spreading through the team.
6) A team that looks like scoring with every attack, then, can't hit a barn-door at 3 paces.
7) Manager states team needs refreshing...big target man essential.
8) Team starts every game slowly, finds itself behind and lacks confidence to get back into game.
9) Fans all feel same thing. Once a bad run starts its going to continue. Nothing is being done to correct it.There is no plan B. Teams seem to work us out very quickly. There is no imagination. No surprises in store.
10) Whenever we play a side in the top 10, we are not going to win. In fact, we are normally grateful for even a point. ( Thus far...defeats v Hull, Middsboro, Leicester and draw with Cardiff )
So, has anything changed? Well, the defence looks tighter. Therefore, we are not getting hammered and only losing games 1-0 ( four so far )
Anything else.....I will leave it to you.

Wage bill is much higher. :(

Vicente may be fit to play earlier :)

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
No wins against the top 8 since Southampton.

Shocking.

Rubbish stat - We beat Leeds and Leicester last February, the are currently in the top 6

Or when we played Sheff Wed they may have been in the top 8 at the time (although I cannot check because our wonderful web site no longer has the facility to see the league table on a match my match basis)

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I realise that but it does affect the argument that we can't beat top 6 sides. Who knows who will be in the top 6 when it comes to the end of the season? The table is so tight, it changes every week.

The table after 6 games means as much as the table after 12, more perhaps.

After 6 games last season three teams were in the position in the table that they were at the end of the season.
After 12 games last season no team was in the position in the table they were at the end of the season.

Last season after 12 games:
Southampton were first, finished 2nd
West Ham were second, finished, 3rd
Middlesbrough were third, finished 7th
Derby were fourth, finished 12th
Palace were fifth, finished 17th
Ipswich were sixth, finished 15th

The only table that really counts is the one at the end of the season.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Rubbish stat - We beat Leeds and Leicester last February, the are currently in the top 6

Or when we played Sheff Wed they may have been in the top 8 at the time (although I cannot check because our wonderful web site no longer has the facility to see the league table on a match my match basis)

They were 6th. As were Cardiff when we drew with them.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I posted this in another thread last night
Home
+0 - Barnsley, Same as last season
-1 - Birmingham, 1pt less than last season
+0 - Cardiff, Same as last season
-2 - Ipswich, two points less than last season
-1 - Middlesbrough, 1pt less than last season

Sheff Wed - did not play last season

Away
Burnley
+3 - Burnley, three points better than last season
-2 - Derby, two points worse
-1 - Hull, one point less
+0 - Leicester same as last season
+2 - Millwall two points better
+3 - Watford three points better than last season

0-1+0-2-1+3-2-1+0+2+3 = +1

On a direct fixture comparison, we are still one point better off than last season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here