Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Banned from buying a Goldfish at 56yrs of age/Pets At Home!!!

cornish seagull

cornish seagull
Feb 25, 2011
cornwall
Quick up-date from previous thread: Looking after Daughters Gold fish, one dies and decide to replace it. Go to Pets at Home and experience the bloody 'Spanish inquisition'! Some bloody jobs worth asked me size of tank, what filter system did I have and wait for it... What experience did I have of fish? Explained very slowly that I was just looking after Daughters fish and one died and NO tank didn't have filter system but I planned to transfer fish to pond. Told it was company policy not to sell fish to customers without filter systems! got asked to leave store when wife pointed out that most of their fish had fin rot and how could they moralise when their fish were in such a poor state! FFS I'm 56, have had a successful career, raised two kids, had two cats (died at 15 & 16) still have two dogs and make very good Jam but I can't buy a ****ing Goldfish!! has the world gone mad or am I missing something? Rant over... or is it?

chrissyboy01

Sep 24, 2011
Yes, but were their fish with 'fin rot' in a tank with a filtration unit? If so, you have no cause to complain irrespective of your jam making prowess.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Why not just tell them you have a filter from the start? Not like they're going to come round your house and check!

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition, their chief weapons are surprise and a fanatical devotion to our finned friends in non-filtered tanks.

I suggest you return to the shop with a club hammer and demand they sell you a goldfish or their tanks get it.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Quick up-date from previous thread: Looking after Daughters Gold fish, one dies and decide to replace it. Go to Pets at Home and experience the bloody 'Spanish inquisition'! Some bloody jobs worth asked me size of tank, what filter system did I have and wait for it... What experience did I have of fish? Explained very slowly that I was just looking after Daughters fish and one died and NO tank didn't have filter system but I planned to transfer fish to pond. Told it was company policy not to sell fish to customers without filter systems! got asked to leave store when wife pointed out that most of their fish had fin rot and how could they moralise when their fish were in such a poor state! FFS I'm 56, have had a successful career, raised two kids, had two cats (died at 15 & 16) still have two dogs and make very good Jam but I can't buy a f***ing Goldfish!! has the world gone mad or am I missing something? Rant over... or is it?

I feel your pain, maybe just pour food coloring in their tanks.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Quick up-date from previous thread: Looking after Daughters Gold fish, one dies and decide to replace it. Go to Pets at Home and experience the bloody 'Spanish inquisition'! Some bloody jobs worth asked me size of tank, what filter system did I have and wait for it... What experience did I have of fish? Explained very slowly that I was just looking after Daughters fish and one died and NO tank didn't have filter system but I planned to transfer fish to pond. Told it was company policy not to sell fish to customers without filter systems! got asked to leave store when wife pointed out that most of their fish had fin rot and how could they moralise when their fish were in such a poor state! FFS I'm 56, have had a successful career, raised two kids, had two cats (died at 15 & 16) still have two dogs and make very good Jam but I can't buy a f***ing Goldfish!! has the world gone mad or am I missing something? Rant over... or is it?

Oh do pike down! For cod's sake man, what the hell gives you the right to look after goldfish with those credentials?! And for kicking up such a huss, not only did they do the right thing in kicking you out of their plaice, but they should report you to the RSPCA to get an injunction on you even entering a fish and chip shop! Carp in the community, that's what you are!

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Got 2 Guinea pigs from Pets At Home for my 8 year old daughters birthday. 1 lasted a week, as Lord Bracknell said it introduced her to death at an early age.

Times have changed, a few years ago you could go to the fun fair, throw a few darts and win 1 of 100 hanging up in tiny plastic bags.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm sure having goldfish, when I was a nipper, was easy. Not so any more.

My 2 year old is mad about all things that live in water so we bought him a tank, the gravel, the filter thing etc, and were sold a couple of little bottles of stuff to put in the tap water and make it fish safe. Easy peasy it seemed. Not so.

Every week or so we'd return with a sample of the water and it was never quite right - too high in something, or too low in something else. More little plastic bottles of magic stuff bought and we persevered. 10 or 20% water changes and more drops of stuff. Still never right. 4 or 5 months on we've given up as we hope to be moving home sooner or later and will try again then.

Bloody frustrating though.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Oh do pike down! For cod's sake man, what the hell gives you the right to look after goldfish with those credentials?! And for kicking up such a huss, not only did they do the right thing in kicking you out of their plaice, but they should report you to the RSPCA to get an injunction on you even entering a fish and chip shop! Carp in the community, that's what you are!

Oh RUDDy hell, here we go again.

cornish seagull

cornish seagull
Feb 25, 2011
cornwall
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition, their chief weapons are surprise and a fanatical devotion to our finned friends in non-filtered tanks.

I suggest you return to the shop with a club hammer and demand they sell you a goldfish or their tanks get it.[/QUOTE

:laugh:

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge

My 2 year old is mad about all things that live in water so we bought him a tank, the gravel, the filter thing etc, and were sold a couple of little bottles of stuff to put in the tap water and make it fish safe. Easy peasy it seemed. Not so.

Every week or so we'd return with a sample of the water and it was never quite right - too high in something, or too low in something else. More little plastic bottles of magic stuff bought and we persevered. 10 or 20% water changes and more drops of stuff. Still never right. 4 or 5 months on we've given up as we hope to be moving home sooner or later and will try again then.

I wouldn't worry too much about the magic water results. Buy some plants and let it settle down, it will sort itself out.......Probably.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Goldfish jam - not convinced !!!!

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill

Agreed,

I had a tropical in my early teens, seemed easy enough,

Now its all ammonia levels, nitrite, nitrate, carbon media and all this other stuff I swear didn't exist 20 years ago when I had my first tank.

Now I've bought a big tank for tropical fish again, everything was fine until a mystery disease wiped out half of my fish within 3 days:censored:

Just finishing the last of various treatments, I thought keeping fish was supposed to be peaceful and relaxing, these last 2 weeks have been nothing but stress.:(

And all fish tanks should ideally have some kind of filtration, the fish deserve it.

cornish seagull

cornish seagull
Feb 25, 2011
cornwall
Buying from pets at home will ensure the Goldfish is dead before it enters your bowl at home anyway. You had a lucky escape.
Don't know where you are in Cornwall, but looking where Pets at home is in Truro, this would be better, and I bet they don't ask you if you have a filter.
Aquarium Supplies, Tropical Fish - Truro, Penzance, Cornwall | Chacewater Aquatics

Thanks for your research, much appreciated but have got one from local Garden Centre and no questions asked nudge, nudge, wink wink!

gizza25

Swedish Seagull
Jan 17, 2011
Lövestad/Sweden
I left my fish with a friend last year, and when i returned discovered that 5 of the fish had died!
I still need counselling about this?? Was almost suicidal at one stage! How i will miss them.
Flipper, Biffer, Bullwinkle, Flapper and floppy RIP!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here