Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What must it be like averaging 15,000 in a stadium that holds 35,100

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Must be quite ghostly at Middlesborough these days.

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
Ghostly? We (afcb) went Cov the other week. Dear God that was grim (APART from the footie..)

The mad thing is that all the supporters, stewards, etc, want to be back at Highfield Rd!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Will be us one day, so probably best not knock it.

I'm not knocking it, I'm just asking the question.

To be honest I was staggered that their atendance had dropped that much but then I thought about what it must be like for those going. The Kuipers testimonial with so few at the AMEX was was a bit soleless

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Ghostly? We (afcb) went Cov the other week. Dear God that was grim (APART from the footie..)

The mad thing is that all the supporters, stewards, etc, want to be back at Highfield Rd!

To be fair that was very grim last year. Huge stadium, club in severe decline. Yep that was as you say very grim.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Will be us one day, so probably best not knock it.

Seemed more like a genuine question rather than a mocking. With terracing a falling crowd would just leave gaps around the edges, in an all seater stadium things can be a bit more complicated. It isn't always straightforward to just move somewhere else, once those around you have fallen by the wayside. Somewhere like Middlesbrough especially you do not want to be any more exposed to the elements than you absolutely have to.

You are right though, our day will come.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Middlesbrough are bringing 1,200 to The Amex tomorrow. We took half that to the away match last season and will probably have less there this year. If it can happen to them, it can happen to us easily.

If you lived in Middlesborough, you'd take any excuse you could to get out of there for the day, thus higher away attendances.

On the other hand, we live in LEAFY Sussex.

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
Rubbish. If you live in Middlesbrough you are more likely to be unemployed, poor and struggling to keep a roof over your head. The last thing many of the population has is the funds to waste £100+ on a day out in Brighton. The fact they can still bring 1,200 says a lot about their core support. On the other hand, we took 600 there last season and only a month ago we had 477 at Burnley. Or try 234 at Hull last season. Was that because everyone was enjoying leafy Sussex?

Don't forget about the exiles though - my mates a Burnley fan, he reckons sometimes half of their away crowds in London live down south. Likely to be the same with Boro. Still a good tunout tho.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Middlesbrough are bringing 1,200 to The Amex tomorrow. We took half that to the away match last season and will probably have less there this year. If it can happen to them, it can happen to us easily.

This is a totally bogus argument. How many will be from Middlesbrough? Like most Northern teams they have a huge
amount of their fan base living in London, which if you hadn't noticed is an hour away. How many Albion fans live in the
North East, a handful?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Rubbish. If you live in Middlesbrough you are more likely to be unemployed, poor and struggling to keep a roof over your head. The last thing many of the population has is the funds to waste £100+ on a day out in Brighton. The fact they can still bring 1,200 says a lot about their core support. On the other hand, we took 600 there last season and only a month ago we had 477 at Burnley. Or try 234 at Hull last season. Was that because everyone was enjoying leafy Sussex?

Whoosh.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Sorry, but this is just pure speculation. How can you claim Middlesbrough have a lot of fans living in London? You have no idea if that's the case. It may well be for huge clubs like Leeds, Newcastle and Liverpool, but a team that gets 15,000 at HOME is unlikely to have thousands more stashed away in London in my opinion. Also, since when did where the fans travel from have any bearing on what's a good away following?

I don't get that, of course if the opposition are local you take more, or am I missing something? I was drinking with some 'Boro fans after
the game last season in the Albert and all of them were now living in the South (working at Gatwick or London), I'm not saying that is scientific, but
I think you know my point, or are you just in an argumentative mood?

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
All we can do is presume the vast majority are travelling from Middlesbrough, in which case I think 1,200 is a fantastic away crowd.

I'm very impressed with that number coming down even if they're not all from Middlesborough.
I happen to think that they were one of the best teams we played down here last season and was quite surprised at the quality of their football.

Just hoping we can grab the 3 points tomorrow.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
Back to the topic of the stadium size, it's not the fault of their fans. The club simply, imo, made the stadium 5k too large.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Back to the topic of the stadium size, it's not the fault of their fans. The club simply, imo, made the stadium 5k too large.

As somebody else has intimated, we may well be saying the same thing in two years time if we're still in the Championship, or heaven forbid in League 1/2.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
bhavsmfc.jpg
http://www.oneboro.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=4293​

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports