Starbucks - UK tax 'avoiders'

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
One of my sons went out with a manageress of a Starbucks at a supermarket and she told me that her target for a weeks taking was £8000 and she rarely failed to reach it. Many weeks she passed it easily and expected it to be increased at the next revue. Thats a minimum of £400k in just 1 branch.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
However provide contributions by employing people who pay tax and NI notwithstanding a colossal amount of VAT on goods sold.

However it does all appear very easy to do so the laws need to change

Isn't it the Employees who pay the tax and most NI contributions? As for the VAT, it is the customer who pays it, the seller is merely a tax collector. Most companies pay NO VAT on items/goods that they purchase-they buy something that has VAT on their invoice but immediately claim it back. It is only the poor retail customer who pays VAT. Or have I completely missed something in your post?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Isn't it the Employees who pay the tax and most NI contributions?

employers pay 13.8% NI contribution, in addition to employees contributions.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Isn't it the Employees who pay the tax and most NI contributions? As for the VAT, it is the customer who pays it, the seller is merely a tax collector. Most companies pay NO VAT on items/goods that they purchase-they buy something that has VAT on their invoice but immediately claim it back. It is only the poor retail customer who pays VAT. Or have I completely missed something in your post?

Yes but they provide employment and sell goods which generates revenue for the government

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Yes but they provide employment and sell goods which generates revenue for the government

So that makes it ok for them to avoid paying there fair share taxes, that other similar companies pay?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
So that makes it ok for them to avoid paying there fair share taxes, that other similar companies pay?

Absolutely not if you read a bit further back you will see I have stated the tax laws need to change. All I am saying is they still indirectly provide tax revenue by employing people and also selling goods.

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
Starbucks, Google and Amazon up in front of a Parliamentary committee today re: tax avoidance

No doubt squirming like a fish caught on a hook

Last edited:

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Absolutely not if you read a bit further back you will see I have stated the tax laws need to change. All I am saying is they still indirectly provide tax revenue by employing people and also selling goods.

It is indeed a fine line they have to tread, grab more tax of course, but all the time trying to give them incentives to trade in this country... invest in this country..... employ in this country.

This government at least should be congratulated for being the only one of either colour in living memory to tackle this in earnest.... well done them.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
It is indeed a fine line they have to tread, grab more tax of course, but all the time trying to give them incentives to trade in this country... invest in this country..... employ in this country.

This government at least should be congratulated for being the only one of either colour in living memory to tackle this in earnest.... well done them.

It is a shame it takes the meltdown of the global financial system and the country to be close to bankruptcy for them to address it though.

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads

This government should also look at a tax system that allows footballs clubs to run up unpaid taxes running into millions whilst penaling the small businessman if there dare be a week late with payment.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Starbucks, Google and Amazon up in front of a Parliamentary committee today re: tax avoidance

No doubt squirming like a fish caught on a hook

Sadly not much squirmning going on. More just the smugness of knowing that they've actually done nothing wrong, as regards the UK tax laws.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Lovely bit of response to Starbucks "setting the record Straight on Tax" here - bet he wished he disabled the comments!

Setting the Record Straight on Starbucks UK Taxes and Profitability | Starbucks Coffee Company

Not surprised at all the comments. I watched Starbuck, Amazon & Google in front of the commitee and thought they all perfomed appalingly - the had no real answes to the panels questioning. I look forward to see what sort of slump in sales that particularly Starbucks has - maybe they'll legitimately be declaring losses then !

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Lovely bit of response to Starbucks "setting the record Straight on Tax" here - bet he wished he disabled the comments!

Setting the Record Straight on Starbucks UK Taxes and Profitability | Starbucks Coffee Company

Not surprised at all the comments. I watched Starbuck, Amazon & Google in front of the commitee and thought they all perfomed appalingly - the had no real answes to the panels questioning. I look forward to see what sort of slump in sales that particularly Starbucks has - maybe they'll legitimately be declaring losses then !

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

And employ people on such low wages they get tax credits...ie costs the tax payer.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I actually think that publicising the tax avoidance - i.e. legal non payment of corp tax - is the most effective thing that the goverment can do in cases like this. There is a choice of similar coffee chains in the UK; it's up to the UK public to boycott Starbucks until they pay their fair share.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I actually think that publicising the tax avoidance - i.e. legal non payment of corp tax - is the most effective thing that the goverment can do in cases like this. There is a choice of similar coffee chains in the UK; it's up to the UK public to boycott Starbucks until they pay their fair share.

Or close the loop hole or prevent them opening here? It's unfair on other businesses which do not have the means, or lack of morals, to have a shady international tax operation. Really, what good do companies like Starbucks do for the little person? The employment idea does not wash with me as someone will fill the void, they employ people on really low wages and the tax credits the low wages engender hit other people.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here