Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Starbucks - UK tax 'avoiders'

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Surely then if Starbucks have 'legitimately been avoiding paying Uk taxes then surely UK tax payers should legitimately avoid starbucks!

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
Overseas ? Transfer pricing....

I agree that if they have been loss making for 14 years and are paying large intra-group management charges, interest etc then one would suspect that their transfer pricing may not be correct. But if this was the case, why would HMRC not have queried this. As I said in my earlier post, I don't think we're seeing the full picture.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Yeah tax authorities would have queried it. So obviously not the full picture like you say. Their transfer pricing must be legit.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
They can f*ck off and if the Government don't sort this kind of thing out, they can do one as well.
I'm pleased it has been brought to the publics attention, and I for one will not be spending any of my non loop-hole cash

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Surely then if Starbucks have 'legitimately been avoiding paying Uk taxes then surely UK tax payers should legitimately avoid starbucks!

Indeed, and Facebook.

Are the members of those pioneering campaigners UK Uncut currently shutting down their Facebook pages?

I thought not.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If you don't like Starbucks behaviour you can always go to Costa although on the Joke de jour thread there is some startling news on their new pricing policy.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Welcome to the world of what is known as transfer pricing.

Not read the long article in here but think they are adjusting profits in countries so highest profit is in the country with lowest tax rate??

Sort of. Transfer pricing is a form of money laundering where money is cleaned of its tax liability. It can be profitability, tax thresholds or even friendly governments who will allow more store building.

Also isn't starbucks a franchise opperation?

With global companies able to bid down the worlds going to have to learn to live with less tax revenue. ie governments budget properly and cut down on fraud.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I've given up worrying about tax avoidance, it's always gone on, it's still going on, everyone's at it and I can do f*** all about it. :moo:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I don't drink in starbucks. But if I did I'd now boycott them. So there.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
They have paid PAYE & NIC which they have deducted from the staff and VAT on the vatable supplies so its not entirely true then as if they were not on the high street neither would be incurred.

I have heard the banks real out this argument and frankly its bollocks. A company cant include the Tax and NIC that they deduct from their employees pay as part of their tax contribution. Its the employees contribution not theirs.

In all probabilty if tax doging companies like this were not on the high street then local businesses who cant currently compete as its not a level playing field would more than likely flourish.

D

Deleted member 22389

I think the biggest insult of all is the actual coffee itself. I have only been to Starbucks once, it was terrible coffee, followed by Little Chef.

Who came up with this idea of half pint of coffee lol.

Starbucks really need to get over to France and Italy again, and do some research.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I have heard the banks real out this argument and frankly its bollocks. A company cant include the Tax and NIC that they deduct from their employees pay as part of their tax contribution. Its the employees contribution not theirs.

In all probabilty if tax doging companies like this were not on the high street then local businesses who cant currently compete as its not a level playing field would more than likely flourish.

Well yes I know that, I was saying that because they employed people, the have indirectly paid tax, had they not been there these people may have been unemployed thereby costing the country money rather that the other way round.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think the biggest insult of all is the actual coffee itself. I have only been to Starbucks once, it was terrible coffee,

I don't drink their coffee but when I have called into a Starbucks on the motorway, I have a cup of their full leaf tea, which is delicious.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Been to a Starbucks a handful of times in my life. Final straw was when they started asking you for your name. That's the kind of faux friendliness that corporations use that infuriates me no end.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Well yes I know that, I was saying that because they employed people, the have indirectly paid tax, had they not been there these people may have been unemployed thereby costing the country money rather that the other way round.

Do you not think that if they werent around then people would simply spend more money in other coffee shops (maybe local businesses that pay their corporation tax) who would in turn employee more people themselves?

They havent exactly bought anything innovative to the country its coffee they are selling, its been around for centuries.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Do you not think that if they werent around then people would simply spend more money in other coffee shops (maybe local businesses that pay their corporation tax) who would in turn employee more people themselves?

No I don't, if Starbucks closed their shops I would expect them to probably stay empty as the majority are in areas where the rent and rates price out local small businesses

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Been to a Starbucks a handful of times in my life. Final straw was when they started asking you for your name. That's the kind of faux friendliness that corporations use that infuriates me no end.

funny conversation at work about this, someone was indignant on this matter, have to say i agree, then it was pointed out they do it so they know whose order it who's at the other end. oh. yeah, that does help. they work like a production line, passing your cup along the line.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here