Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Starbucks - UK tax 'avoiders'

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I do think that the likes of these companies are really not doing any good whatsoever to the global economy. Consumers are happy because the likes of amazon sell stuff dirt cheap, but they are hardly making a profit. Thousands of small retail businesses and suppliers have gone under because of them and others and it is the small businesses that need to thrive at the moment. We will be waiting a long time if we expect the large corporations to get the economy back on track.

I think it is no coincidence that this recession or whatever you want to call it has gone on so long because of companies like this. 8bn quid Amazon took out of the UK economy last year - I wonder how much of that was re-circulated in the UK? Not much, I suspect. I would be happy to be proved wrong, however.

**Waits to be banned by the big boss man **

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Indeed. No point people blaming the individual companies involved. Tighten up the rules. This kind of thing simply ought not to be so easy to exploit.

exactly so

great flat white

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Surely the simple thing would be to change the law such that multinational companies are taxed in the UK according to their worldwide profits in proportion to how much revenue has been generated here. So if a company has made $100M profit globally and 30% of turnover was in UK they get taxed on $30M profit whatever their UK accounts or transfer pricing or inter-company loans say. Just a thought......

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Biden, Sunak and many others agreed a global minimum 15% corporation tax rate. This took years to agree. Ending the ‘legal’ tax avoidance of Dell, Starbucks, Amazon, Apple, Google etc who cosied up to nations that enabled their immoral actions eg Lux, Netherlands, Ireland.

Now JRM and others in power are pushing for the UK to renege on this, even the Telegraph are covering this. If Truss does this, it’ll be disgraceful.

E5D5A798-6466-4D94-9530-612AA811F033.png
4919415C-74B3-4F5A-84A4-AA04322F05DD.png
F27AC041-AA0F-4330-A7B9-ED238541616B.png

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here