Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Two new cinemas for Brighton and Hove

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I really love the cinema and the experience of going down to the Duke of Yorks has been constant throughout my life. As I got older it got old with me and now sitting up in the posh seats with tables, sofas, booze and cake it is one of Brighton's pleasures.

However on the 6th of December the Duke of Yorks open two more screens at the Komedia, I hope this means I don't have to trek over to them to see certain films.

Brighton cinema's can-can legs planned for North Laine branch From The Argus)

Also around the old Goldstone John Lewis plan to build a shop and square and this is down to include a new cinema complex.

John Lewis lined up for Hove Station £100m redevelopment From The Argus)

Will the good folk of NSC be frequenting either or are you just a sit at home and watch films on the new breed of HD, big screen, surround sound beasts.

I know Goodfella posts on here sometimes, would be good to hear what The Duke of Yorks plans and expectations are, well good luck to them. Long live cinema in Brighton and Hove.

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
For the cinema life is quite pricey. Would love to if it's more affordable. Or this is probably just my experience with Cineworld at Crawley :facepalm:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I do enjoy the odd trip to the cinema, and I'll probably have a mince along to see the new Bond film at some point. But after getting accustomed to the razor sharp image and richness of colour on HD and Blu-Ray at home, it really does highlight what a piss-poor quality picture it is at the flicks. It should really be BETTER than that in this day and age. Especially for the price you pay.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Easy doesnt matter what size tele you have some films just HAVE TO BE SEEN at the cinema on the big screen.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Easy doesnt matter what size tele you have some films just HAVE TO BE SEEN at the cinema on the big screen.

I totally agree, especially the big special-effects extravaganzas. But sod the current 3D gimmick, I still think its high time we got proper HD in our cinemas.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I totally agree, especially the big special-effects extravaganzas. But sod the current 3D gimmick, I still think its high time we got proper HD in our cinemas.

Then it would be about £20 a seat!

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I see the Hove one will be a Vue. Always a minimum of £8.45 at any time of day. Pricey buggers. I went to a Vue the other month for a 9.45am showing of something. Me and two other blokes were in there. Each paying £9. What's the point of showing at such a time and paying so many staff members to be there if no one will be watching, perhaps because it costs so much.
I did like watching early though.

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
I would be living a stones throw from the Hove development, looked at the plans and I don't see any car parks?!

Also, where is the bus garage going to move to?

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Sounds like the Vue need to think about getting punters in at all times and selling the extras. I went to see the latest Woody Allen the other Wednesday, 13.00 showing must have been a good 40 people in the DOY and most bought coffee, popcorn, cake and I imagine most got a discount on the ticket at that time or due to retirement, working status.

Will be weird having 9 screens back in Hove, haven't watched a film over there since I was a kid down on Portland Road, sadly now gone.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Then it would be about £20 a seat!

I expect it'd be more in line with the cost of watching a film in 3D. But honestly, they really should be providing a better quality picture by now. They seem to be the same old technology they've been using for decades.

SeeGoals

Bloom’n Marvellous
Jan 22, 2009
Horsham by the sea
Who can remember going to the Odeon when you had to go up the stairs?

2424629081_600ff94313_z.jpg

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
B&H needs more cinemas, I can't think of any other city that has so few screens. In fact the Brighton - Worthing stretch is a bit of cinematic desert...

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
There used to be a cinema by Hove Station, I wonder if they are now thinking about building another football stadium there?

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I expect it'd be more in line with the cost of watching a film in 3D. But honestly, they really should be providing a better quality picture by now. They seem to be the same old technology they've been using for decades.

Some things have moved on forever, a film we were about to watch was cancelled the other week at the DOY's because the file was corrupt.

Someone else mentioned the other day that the Crawley cinema now has an IMAX screen, does anyone know how much a viewing costs there.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here