Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What do you LIKE/DISLIKE about living in Brighton and Hove?

Stewart

Banned
Feb 2, 2012
Sussex
I am doing some a geography CA about how where you live effects quality of life in a city, having some people's opinions and quotes to shove into my research will help.

Thanks!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I really dislike the congestion. Whether that be taxis, buses and/or cars littering pretty much every part of the city - particularly the Old Steine and around the station. Both of those areas have a great deal of potential.

I love the amount of independent businesses and the close proximity to the sea and a national park.

I dislike the outrageous property prices.

We are very lucky to have so many nice open spaces. Preston Park being my favourite.

Sporting facilities are abysmal and something that needs resolving.

It's not perfect, but it is closer to perfect than a lot of other cities.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
What definition of 'quality of life' are you working to? What criteria are you including within that?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I like pretty much everything but the house prices. I like the fact that it's very easy to drive around without getting stuck in congestion unlike virtually every other city, thus I'm completely contradicting [MENTION=3788]Barrel of Fun[/MENTION]

Oct 25, 2003
like:
proximity to sea and countryside
nice open spaces
a ridiculous amount of people my age
the fact that, if i want to, i can buy bombay mix at 3am from a shop 2 minutes walk away
i can walk everywhere
you can see a 80-year old transvestite with green hair skateboarding and nobody cares

dislike
cost of living
large problem with homelessness and drug abuse
london road

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I am not a big fan of the hospital. Both my kids were born there but that was 20+ years ago and at the time had nothing but praise. Two weeks ago my daughter was taken by ambulance ( at the request of a doctor) following a head injury and vomiting. She was sent home without any proper checks and for several days complained of head aches. Another doctor then sent her back to hospital and she stayed in for two nights for observation and c t scan. The care she got during this time was really poor. No one kept her informed as to what was going on. An appointment at the Eye Hospital over the road was 'missed' due to no porter being available to take her. The pharmacy did not get her medication right and she was in a ward where the rest of the patients were under a different doctor to her. The girl in the bed next to her who had a kidney infection was given the wrong combination of painkillers. Then there was the cost of everything. The television by her bed was £10 a day and parking was on average £2 an hour. I know this sounds like a rant but I was shocked at how dreadful the whole experience was.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My biggest dislike about BRIGHTON is the way the cyclists have taken over the city and weave in and out of traffic and totally ignore signs and traffic lights. Who gave them permission to ride bikes on THE PROMENADE the name itself tells you it shouldn't be, the word promenade means to walk,.

Zamora For England

Sep 27, 2006
Hurstpierpoint
Homelessness is the big problem. It's going to get worse now squatting laws have changed.

I love the nightlife, the ethos of the city and having the sea five minutes one way and countryside five minutes the other.

Also I don't mean to cause a slice fest but a new-found love in Brighton is filtering out traffic on my motorbike, but you can do that anywhere I s'pose.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
also didn't help that london sent down a lot of their homeless folks just before the olympics (apparently) (but definitely because i do voluntary work with the homeless and have met several that this applies to)

Yep they did and they've clearly digged some of them near my gaff. Had to explain to one particularly odourous, smacked up urchin with a permanent black eye that he needs to stop making a beeline for me when I leave my flat to beg for money as I live here and come and go from my flat several times every day and will not be giving him money every time I see him. I also pointed out that while i have nothing against him living nearby he has to repsect that I also live around here and can't be doing with his requests for fags and money ten times a day.

Chinster

Aug 7, 2011
I love the fact that Brighton is such a cool place to live, loads of countryside on the doorstep and a real cosmopolitan feel in town.
However the cost of taking the car into town is getting ridiculous, we used to quite often drive into the centre and go for a walk along the seafront with the kids or mooch round the shops when there was nothing else to do on a Sunday. Now we go outside of Brighton where its free to park can't help but feel we are being driven out of our own town. Its not even as if we could use public transport to lesson the blow because its more expensive than taking the car!!!!!

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
All my family as far back as we have traced 1703 have been born in Brighton.
Loved Brighton in the 50s/60s/70s,the Trams,not too much traffic,clean,wonderful gardens....trouble is being that good it attracted the homeless,the Druggies and the useless ones looking for an easy life. Still love Brighton but could'nt live there now....althiough my mother at 96 still lives there. I will never stop loving the Albion.

D

Deleted member 18477

shopping, nightlife, beach, walking along seafront, some of the people, large selection of restaurants.

Dislike

Cost of living, Parking fees (Even Churchill square is now £10+ every bloody time... Really?), some of the people, people who ride bikes or motorbikes like absolute c u next Tuesdays, people begging for money, people who try and get their name out there in the world of music by 'selling' (begging really) their CD samples during busy saturdays - hand it out for free and take a loss if music means that much to you FFS! Some bloke tried to sell me some shit UK hip hop bollocks yesterday near Churchill square.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

shopping, nightlife, beach, walking along seafront, some of the people, large selection of restaurants.

Dislike

Cost of living, Parking fees (Even Churchill square is now £10+ every bloody time... Really?), some of the people, people who ride bikes or motorbikes like absolute c u next Tuesdays, people begging for money, people who try and get their name out there in the world of music by 'selling' (begging really) their CD samples during busy saturdays - hand it out for free and take a loss if music means that much to you FFS! Some bloke tried to sell me some shit UK hip hop bollocks yesterday near Churchill square.

I think I saw him accosting people yesterday, dark chap with shades and lots of shit sticking out of his hair/hat? I was on a bit of an afternoon session and laughed at him as he approached, then it hailed on him.

D

Deleted member 18477

I think I saw him accosting people yesterday, dark chap with shades and lots of shit sticking out of his hair/hat? I was on a bit of an afternoon session and laughed at him as he approached, then it hailed on him.

That's the fella! He wasn't being rude to be fair BUT it felt like harassment as he walked with me from literally the vans shop on the corner to the steps by Churchill even though I said no thank you straight away.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
My biggest dislike about BRIGHTON is the way the cyclists have taken over the city and weave in and out of traffic and totally ignore signs and traffic lights. Who gave them permission to ride bikes on THE PROMENADE the name itself tells you it shouldn't be, the word promenade means to walk,.

I suppose whoever marked out the cycle lanes gave them permission ...

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

I wish out-of-towners, particularly those with a free bus pass would stop driving in the city centre.

You wouldn't have to deal with cyclists.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here