Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Getting prizes for Charity Raffles - HELP!

FalmerforAll!**

NSC's Most Intelligent
Oct 26, 2005
Burgess Hill
Afternoon all,

This is my first time at attempting to contact a number of different restaurants, venues, football clubs etc in order to get prizes for a charity raffle.

Has anyone had any experience in doing this before? What sort of luck did you have? Are there any good places to go specifically for this type of thing?

Thanks in advance!

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I tried this a couple of years ago when we were fundraising for Saltdean Utd but had sweet FA from everyone....except Birmingham City who sent me a signed photo of the Alex McLeish. Great.
I wrote to every Premiership team and had virtually the same letter back from each of them, basically saying they have their own community charities & projects so cant extend to anyone elses. I fear you'll get the same response.
I even had the same answer from the Albion (I even mentioned that Adam El Abd started at Saltdean - thinking the link might help my cause)....but I got the same response as all the others gave me.
Restaurants are generally pretty helpful though - sure you'll get vouchers etc if you ask....

Good luck in trying - let us know how you get on!

Work on the assumption that most businesses won't give you a prize just because it's a charity, unless it's one that's connected in some way to what they do or their customers.

You need to persuade them that by donating something free this will generate more business for them. So it's a free sample if you like, not a donation.

New businesses just starting up may be more likely to give you something, say a new restaurant or hotel. If a hotel gives you a free night or a weekend there is every chance the winner will eat and drink there,

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Afternoon all,

This is my first time at attempting to contact a number of different restaurants, venues, football clubs etc in order to get prizes for a charity raffle.

Has anyone had any experience in doing this before? What sort of luck did you have? Are there any good places to go specifically for this type of thing?

Thanks in advance!

Walk the streets & knock on doors, harder to say no face to face

FalmerforAll!**

NSC's Most Intelligent
Oct 26, 2005
Burgess Hill
Cheers for the advice, have experienced already that no one really wants to donate anything!

For what it's worth though, the Albion were superb when we did the same event last year with their donations and even sent Adam El-Abd and Gully's Girls down on the day. Have already spoken to a few people at the club about this year's event and they've all been extremely helpful!

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Cheers for the advice, have experienced already that no one really wants to donate anything!

For what it's worth though, the Albion were superb when we did the same event last year with their donations and even sent Adam El-Abd and Gully's Girls down on the day. Have already spoken to a few people at the club about this year's event and they've all been extremely helpful!

Local supermarkets may donate vouchers, ask for the manager when requesting.

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
I have organised a raffle for the last 5 or 6 years, with prizes from local businesses. Pre-recession it was quite easy, but now it's impossible!

This year the prizes included meals out at local restaurants, goodies from chocolate/cheese shops, gateaux from local patisseries, food from local Tesco, spa treatments, tickets for the cricket, theatre tickets etc

Be prepared to go on foot and ask people, and be prepared to go back several times because invariably the manager won't be there when you visit.

Allow lots of time as some chains do it all through head office and you'll need to write to them and allow time to chase them up.

Print off lots of letters on headed paper, with your contact details and details of the charity, which you can leave with people. I had several versions of the letter, depending on whether I was visiting a shop or restaurant etc

If you are a regular somewhere then that can really help - also, find friends/family that are regulars elsewhere and get them to approach those companies. Just co-ordinate things so you don't both contact the same person.

It goes without saying that the more credible and professional you can come across, the better - they get inundated with requests, so you need to stand out. Be shameless about using your personal contacts.

Always get their names and send thank-you notes after the event, and they may help you again next time.

Start ASAP -my raffle was for the summer party, but everyone round here does summer parties so you have to get in there first.

Who are you selling your tickets to? If you're selling to the general public, you may need to get a licence from the council. You may need to comply with the Lotteries Act. We didn't have to, as we sold the tickets just to residents of the area.

WildWood

Sep 6, 2011
Chichester
I deal with the receiving of TONNES of charity requests throughout the year in my job, to the point that we have had to go down the route of choosing one main national charity & turning everyone else away (sorry!)
However there were 3 main rules that, if not ticked would end up with the request getting a no:
1. definately personalise your letter/email. If the opening line was "Dear Sir/Madam" it never got read after that.
2. Locality. I am constantly amazed that Joe Bloggs from Rotheram wants a company in Sussex to sponsor his bike ride. Sorry, but that's a no. A local primary school for example would win hands down!
3. Relevance to our business. I work for a Motorsport events business, so a Motorsport related charity would stand a chance over say, an animal rescue charity.

I'm sure that all comes across incredibly mean & heartless, but unfortunately - as we sell out of our events, every charity we support comes straight off the bottom line, so needs must. I'm sure these rules don't apply everywhere but for me, get online & find local, relevant businesses & make sure you address the letter to a real person!!!

Good luck

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Afternoon all,

Thanks in advance!

May I ask what the charity is and where the event is taking place?

StillHateBellotti

Jun 17, 2011
Eastbourne
Did one last year joint for Kidney Research and Cystic Fibrosis and we obtained shit loads, about 150 prizes. Try Man Utd Foundation, I got a signed Paul Scholes shirt that got £180 they pick out people monthly, London Dungeons, Hotels in eastbourne, sports centres, Will Writing, Free car hire, Signed Chelsea Shirt, Signed Man U football, Villa in Cyprus, Try the toy manufacturers and car dealerships, Caterpiller, Colleague who supports Tottenham never been to a brighton game gets tickets for a match, me season ticket holder gets a signed sodding montage!

Also kids play parks, Graham Norton Show Tickets and VIP back stage pass. Clothing manufacturers.

Hopefully that will inspire you! I sent out about 500 letters all over the place and its hard work.

We also did a charity golf day and got a good deal from Eastbourne Royal Golf Course.

In total we raised about 3k on the day so well worth the effort. What charity is it for!

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
May I ask what the charity is and where the event is taking place?

Teenage Cancer Trust and it is a 24 hour football match at St Paul's Catholic College, Burgess Hill.

I helped out organising the event last year and was a great success! All the best this season FalmerForAll :thumbsup:

StillHateBellotti

Jun 17, 2011
Eastbourne
Teenage Cancer Trust and it is a 24 hour football match at St Paul's Catholic College, Burgess Hill.

I helped out organising the event last year and was a great success! All the best this season FalmerForAll :thumbsup:

Worthy Charity, problem i found is that major companies only sponsor one or two local charities and massive companies will each pick a big one i.e cancer research, kidney research etc. I contacted the fundraisers at Kidney Research and he got hold of some Molton Brown stuff and show tickets etc! Sure you have but have you made conatct with Teenage Cancer Trust! They normally hold loads of prizes and may be able to send some your way!

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
I did this many years ago but admitedly in better times. Emphasize the charity you are supporting and the amount you intend to raise. Ask for specific prizes that are tailored to particular companies and find out a name of a person to address a letter to (phone up the receptionist and ask them who the manager is) rather than sending a letter "to whom it may convern":-

My ideas would be to contact:-

1. Restaurants in Brighton - ask for a meal for two (they may get some money back on drinks)
2. Hotels in Brighton for a night for two or tea for two etc
3. Local gyms/healthclubs - for a day/weekpass

Any similar companies where the prize won't cost them much to give but results in good value for you. You may need to delegate to a few people to target 4/5 sectors (hotels/restaurants/shops/healthclubs/sporting venues/Theatres/cinemas/gold clubs/Ferry tickets/Eurostar etc). Blitz 50 or so letters to each sector and follow up with a phone call if possible. You should also offer to put the sponsors names on a list so that they get some free publicity out of the raffle or names on a board at the draw event.

Good luck and hope the above helps.

Afternoon all,

Thanks in advance!

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
Worthy Charity, problem i found is that major companies only sponsor one or two local charities and massive companies will each pick a big one i.e cancer research, kidney research etc. I contacted the fundraisers at Kidney Research and he got hold of some Molton Brown stuff and show tickets etc! Sure you have but have you made conatct with Teenage Cancer Trust! They normally hold loads of prizes and may be able to send some your way!

They were more than helpful in providing us with fundraising buckets and banners etc. I'm sure FalmerForAll will take not! Thanks I the advice!

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand

They were more than helpful in providing us with fundraising buckets and banners etc. I'm sure FalmerForAll will take not! Thanks I the advice!

FalmerforAll!**

NSC's Most Intelligent
Oct 26, 2005
Burgess Hill
Appreciate the further advice from everyone - have taken it all on board and had a bit of success with a couple of restaurants in Brighton. Going to use my free afternoon wisely tomorrow.

Thanks again!

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Rather than a raffle, does anyone have experience of "auction of promises" type thing?
eg restaurant offers table for two and at some dinner type event you get some bidding going?
Get a dozen promises and at the right venue for the auction, is that a winner?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here