Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Food. Lazy Ginger and Garlic

Fur Cough

Anyone used these and are they any good compared to using fresh stuff.

I hate preparing garlic and ginger but love it in cooking so would be ideal if any good.

Ta.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I can understand ginger as its a bitch to peel, but even then it takes no more than 3 mins to peel and chop.

Garlic! are you being serious! less than 45 secs.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I make lots of curries in the BIR way and very few of the Indian restaurants use anything other than the garlic and ginger from the pots.
It is all pastes nowadays and they are top notch.

Lush

Mods' Pet
I use the frozen chopped ginger and garlic from Waitrose, to save buying a whole bulb of garlic (or worse if shop only has 3 packs)/knob of ginger when you only need a little. And so I always have it to hand. The frozen herbs are quite useful too for the same reason.

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patreon
Jun 26, 2009
East
Real thing it is then, just can't stand the smell on my fingers for hours later even after scrubbing.

If you're that worried about the smell (I like the smell of ginger!), you could always slip on a pair of rubber gloves for the couple of minutes required? A FAR better solution than using expensive, inferior ingredients...

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I've used the jars but I prefer fresh and I can tell the difference.
If you haven't got gloves and don't like it on your fingers, stick your hand in a sandwich bag; I wish I'd done this when chopping chilies the other day then rubbing my eye

Tight shorts

Dec 29, 2004
Sussex
I use the frozen Garlic/Ginger from Taj when I'm mega busy or a bit lazy. About a quid for a big bag of the stuff which you can so easily chuck into a curry.

I recently whizzed up with a bit of water a load of left over coriander. I froze that in ice cube trays and that's coming out really fresh tasting when I add it to some food.

Fur Cough

I use the frozen Garlic/Ginger from Taj when I'm mega busy or a bit lazy. About a quid for a big bag of the stuff which you can so easily chuck into a curry.

I recently whizzed up with a bit of water a load of left over coriander. I froze that in ice cube trays and that's coming out really fresh tasting when I add it to some food.

Where is Taj, this sounds like a winner.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I use it, it's great and is exactly the same as the real thing. [MENTION=1518]empire[/MENTION] is wrong. :thumbsup:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Wife has a jar of both at home that she uses in an emergency when she decides to cook something at the last moment and doesn't have fresh available. She maintains it is ok but not as good as fresh.

Tight shorts

Dec 29, 2004
Sussex
Corner of Montpelier Road and Western Road, opposite Lush's aforementioned Waitrose.

Oh, and fresh garlic and ginger EVERY time.

Just out of interest have you tried the Taj stuff? I hate that jar stuff, really artificial and vinegary but I think the frozen is better, although probably still not as good as fresh. But cos its easy I probably use more of it and more often so I am getting more of the health benefits of garlic and ginger. And I think it works out cheaper in price.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Just out of interest have you tried the Taj stuff? I hate that jar stuff, really artificial and vinegary but I think the frozen is better, although probably still not as good as fresh. But cos its easy I probably use more of it and more often so I am getting more of the health benefits of garlic and ginger. And I think it works out cheaper in price.

The principal benefit of using the jar stuff seems to be time. For the sake of the 45 seconds it takes to chop up some garlic (never use the crusher) and ginger, the jar doesn't hold any merits for me.

I used to use the jar stuff all the time, hence using fresh nowadays. There's something more satisfying and natural about using fresh produce.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I use it, it's great and is exactly the same as the real thing. [MENTION=1518]empire[/MENTION] is wrong. :thumbsup:

I use it, it's great and is exactly the same as the real thing. Simster is right :thumbsup:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here