Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Spain in crisis

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yesterday I listened to The Football Weekly podcast.

Their man in Spain was talking at great length about the crisis' currently hitting Spain.

- The EU bail out turning them into the next Greece, isn't going down well.
- Riots in Madrid.
- Unemployment
- The cost of going to football effecting attendance.
- Catalan independence is gaining momentum.

If the situation doesn't improve, I'd imagine the relative stability of English football would look quite attractive to players outside of the top 2.
Not to mention players less likely to hurry back :whistle:

larus

Yesterday I listened to The Football Weekly podcast.

Their man in Spain was talking at great length about the crisis' currently hitting Spain.

- The EU bail out turning them into the next Greece, isn't going down well.
- Riots in Madrid.
- Unemployment
- The cost of going to football effecting attendance.
- Catalan independence is gaining momentum.

If the situation doesn't improve, I'd imagine the relative stability of English football would look quite attractive to players outside of the top 2.
Not to mention players less likely to hurry back :whistle:

If anyone seriously thinks this Euro project is anything other than a complete disaster, they need help. This is a political goal; there's no economic rationale behind this at all (and no, saving a bit on exchanging your holiday money for 2 weeks in Benidorm really doesntcount). I despair at the damage being done to these countries for what purpose ??

Bruntburger

Mar 9, 2009
Peacehaven
To be fair, unlike Greece, Spain kept their house in order and didn't overspend during the good times. The property bubble burst and the shit hit the fan!

tgretton87

Shoreham Beach Seagull#2
Jul 30, 2011
Not to mention to make things worse Southern Spain had severe droughts all summer and now as October is about to come around 7 have died because of massive flash flooding.

Poor Bastards

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
To be fair, unlike Greece, Spain kept their house in order and didn't overspend during the good times. The property bubble burst and the shit hit the fan!

They did indeed - the only mistake they really made was to join the Euro thus preventing them from taking actions that could have improved their situation.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They did indeed - the only mistake they really made was to join the Euro thus preventing them from taking actions that could have improved their situation.

The mistake they made was to borrow too much cheap Euro money and build too much property. When property went tits up so did their economy. Their predicament is not a direct result of their Euro membership but their over zealous growth program.

Had Spain, Greece and Ireland not been allowed to borrow so much money at previously unavailable low interest rates then they would not be in as much trouble as they currently are.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
True, and instead I look at Germany with envy thinking "could have been us."
Only it wouldn't have been would it? When at any time since the end of the last war (with the exception of 1966) have we EVER managed to emulate the Germans? They've always pissed all over us at absolutely everything, and if we'd joined the Euro it would have been exactly the same. At least with us out of it there's one less nation for them to bail out.

I know Gordon Brown isn't the most popular politician, but if it hadn't been for the job he did as Chancellor in keeping us out of the Euro Blair and the rest of the noisy economic illiterates (from all parties) would have had us involved in that fool's project from the start. F*cking politicians, shoot the lot of 'em I say.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
The mistake they made was to borrow too much cheap Euro money and build too much property. When property went tits up so did their economy. Their predicament is not a direct result of their Euro membership but their over zealous growth program.

Had Spain, Greece and Ireland not been allowed to borrow so much money at previously unavailable low interest rates then they would not be in as much trouble as they currently are.
I think you've just neatly encapsulated why it IS the fault of the Euro. Where was the central fiscal policy? Why wasn't this dealt with when the Euro has launched? I know the answer btw.

D

Deleted member 22389

If anyone seriously thinks this Euro project is anything other than a complete disaster, they need help. This is a political goal; there's no economic rationale behind this at all (and no, saving a bit on exchanging your holiday money for 2 weeks in Benidorm really doesntcount). I despair at the damage being done to these countries for what purpose ??

It is a bloody disaster. When will the people running it, admit it. How many more bailouts are required. It was a failure from day one going on what my relatives said when they swapped the Lire for the Euro.

And your right getting a good deal on your holiday money does not count. It's was no different for holiday makers before the Euro came along. It's all the other crap as well it has bought us that annoy me. Get rid, the sooner the better.

Apart from Nigel Farage who sticks up for this country, all those other idiots need to be sacked.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not quite the debate about us cherry picking more Spanish stars, I was expecting, but hey that's NSC.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
When you look at how the rest of Europe is fairing compared to the UK, thank goodness we had a Conservative government here for most of the 90s, otherwise we would undoubtedly would be in the Euro.

That's not entirely true. When Gordon Brown was chancellor he famously set conditions which would have to be met before we joined the Euro (in the knowledge that they probably never would be). People of all parties were sceptical about joining the Euro and several Tories were in favour.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

One currency + loads of different fiscal policies + belief that each conturies euro debt was as safe as Germanys = problems

They either join up on fiscal policies or break up euro

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Spain was a joke throughout the euro project. Siestas, fiestas and drinking coffee in the street until 3am.

Chickens returning to the roost.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
When you look at how the rest of Europe is fairing compared to the UK, thank goodness we had a Conservative government here for most of the 90s, otherwise we would undoubtedly would be in the Euro.

Do you really think the UK is faring any better? Germany is doing very well out of it.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
It is a bloody disaster. When will the people running it, admit it. How many more bailouts are required. It was a failure from day one going on what my relatives said when they swapped the Lire for the Euro.

And your right getting a good deal on your holiday money does not count. It's was no different for holiday makers before the Euro came along. It's all the other crap as well it has bought us that annoy me. Get rid, the sooner the better.

Apart from Nigel Farage who sticks up for this country, all those other idiots need to be sacked.

An alternative way of looking at this is that thanks to economic integration and interdependence we have had the longest period of peace within Europe in the continent's history. The system is far from perfect but it's better than another European war or world war..
And, if you actually examine their policies and statements, UKIP are on a par with the BNP but currently managing to get away with their racist and extreme right wing politics.

DanielT

Didn't realise this until yesterday, but in Spain, a borrower has a personal and unlimited liability which extends to all his current and future assets.

Here if borrower defaults on a mortgage the liability is covered by the property.

But a Spanish lender pursues the borrower himself, not the property. A borrower can still have 100% of their mortgage owing even after the collateral, the house, has been repossessed.

D

Deleted member 22389

An alternative way of looking at this is that thanks to economic integration and interdependence we have had the longest period of peace within Europe in the continent's history. The system is far from perfect but it's better than another European war or world war..
And, if you actually examine their policies and statements, UKIP are on a par with the BNP but currently managing to get away with their racist and extreme right wing politics.

There is absolutely no way UKIP is on par with the BNP. This is where I think people have got it so wrong. All UKIP want is a halt on immigration which I think is fair enough. There is nothing wrong with saying it, and there is nothing racist about it. Calling someone a name because of the colour of their skin makes you a racist.

You need to look at the size of this country and amount of people who have come to live and work here. That's fine but you need the houses, jobs, schools, doctors, hospitals to back it up, which we don't.

There was economic integration before the Euro.

Last edited by a moderator:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here