Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Birthday announcements at the ground

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Its my better halves birthday tomorrow and she's coming to the game tomorrow so I thought I would ask the club to read out happy birthday before the game or at half time tomorrow.

Apparently they can't do that though as they have 'filled their allocation of announcement requests'.

I know this is a really minor thing and the club are very good in most areas but it does seem a bit petty for them not to allow the 5 seconds it will take to say happy birthday to ...... in the South stand etc. I would have really appreciated it as she's not a massive football fan and im grateful to her agreeing to come on her birthday.

Mini rant over.

Oddsocks

May 1, 2012
Its my better halves birthday tomorrow and she's coming to the game tomorrow so I thought I would ask the club to read out happy birthday before the game or at half time tomorrow.

Apparently they can't do that though as they have 'filled their allocation of announcement requests'.

I know this is a really minor thing and the club are very good in most areas but it does seem a bit petty for them not to allow the 5 seconds it will take to say happy birthday to ...... in the South stand etc. I would have really appreciated it as she's not a massive football fan and im grateful to her agreeing to come on her birthday.

Mini rant over.

I think you have already spoilt her enough by taking her to the game!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Mini rant over.
Last year they told me they were going to do my son's request, and then DIDN'T.

So this year (tomorrow) he is apparently first on the list. I am going to be VERY pissed off if they miss him again!

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
This really winds me up actually. I don't give a shit who is celebrating a birthday. I'm there to watch a football match. Spend half time ENTERTAINING me, informing me of the other scores and offering Albion-related chat. Do not tell me that some attention seeking bore on the other side of the ground fancies their name being read out because they are marking an occasion that occurs for EVERYBODY every year and, once you're older than 18, means absolutely bugger all.

Fair comment.

She may not have apppreciated it anyway. Although believe me, birthdays certainly don't mean bugger all to any woman I've ever been with.

I think I'm just trying to cover all bases this year as I'm being made to feel guilty for taking her to the game in the first place!

s5.bha

Aug 3, 2003
Oh it's my birthday tomorrow as well............and all I want is beer , 3pts and a large kebab !

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Mini rant over.
As well as TCB's perfectly correct point regarding age, would you also accept that the club is NOT being petty in accomodating your birthday request? As someone else said, there could well be up to 80 birthdays, and clearly they don't have time to do more than a handful. I'm assuming you hadn't thought this through.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
As well as TCB's perfectly correct point regarding age, would you also accept that the club is NOT being petty in accomodating your birthday request? As someone else said, there could well be up to 80 birthdays, and clearly they don't have time to do more than a handful. I'm assuming you hadn't thought this through.

Fourteenth Eye used to get a birthday dedication from TMLS read out every November at Withdean.

It was always 'Happy 7th Birthday Ady, from Marcus, Andy etc...'

Pbseagull

Sep 28, 2011
Eastbourne
This really winds me up actually. I don't give a shit who is celebrating a birthday. I'm there to watch a football match. Spend half time ENTERTAINING me, informing me of the other scores and offering Albion-related chat. Do not tell me that some attention seeking bore on the other side of the ground fancies their name being read out because they are marking an occasion that occurs for EVERYBODY every year and, once you're older than 18, means absolutely bugger all.

My daughter is 13 on Saturday and the club are going to wish her Happy Birthday at half time, she will be delighted to hear her name mentioned on Her special day. Why don't you wind your neck in you miserable old Badger. :)

NB. If it were my birthday, the last thing I would want is to be reminded how bloody old i'm getting!!

Last edited:

Pbseagull

Sep 28, 2011
Eastbourne
If you see my last post, you will find this is the last year where it is acceptable for her to have this message read out:thumbsup:

I've no problem with "Happy birthday to Tom, he's 7 today and in the East Stand with his dad" or "Welcome to 5 year old Jack who is attending his first match today". But there is something tragic about "Many happy returns to Roger who is 47 today, and that's from your mum". You do get some of these gimps, who presumably think they're important enough to warrant the rest of us going through verbal diarrhoea for five minutes every Saturday.

Still, the one positive is that we don't have a "special presentation from Dick Knight to Liz Costa and the Supporters' Club" at every single f***ing home game any longer.

Sorry, only saw it after I posted. :thumbsup:

I tend to generally miss the half time announcements as I'm usually in the queue for food and drink for said daughter!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here