Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bigger fish to fry than palace?

Feb 14, 2010
Dont get me wrong I was brought up with the palace thing through the 70s and 80s and for me it will always be a great rivalry.

But is the reality that the Albion will over the next few years continue to fulfil its regional identity and so will palace be small fry compared to the Albion?

Just a thought but is this rivalry likely to end up going the same way as say Stoke and Port Vale? Intense for the fans but in footballing terms, just too one sided?...

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Dont get me wrong I was brought up with the palace thing through the 70s and 80s and for me it will always be a great rivalry.

But is the reality that the Albion will over the next few years continue to fulfil its regional identity and so will palace be small fry compared to the Albion?

Just a thought but is this rivalry likely to end up going the same way as say Stoke and Port Vale? Intense for the fans but in footballing terms, just too one sided?...

If we can beat them that might be a start this season.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house

Is that not what the situation has been like for the last 20 years anyway, just with Palace on top on the footballing side of things?

u'vebeenamexed

Whateverhappenedto.......
Sep 23, 2011
Hove-By-The-Sea
I can't see Crawley becoming our rivals and Pompey are sinking fast so I guess we are stuck with Palace in terms of locality. Southampton may return next season to the Championship - if we are still here :albion2:

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Well most of them had the decency to keep hating us when they were way higher in the league, so it's only honourable for us to carry on.

Once they are playing in league 2, at the athletics stadium (where they move to temporarily while Selhurst is redeveloped, only it 'mysteriously' goes tits up and is sold for housing and a GIANT sainsburys to repay a massive loan from the directors), bankrupt and playing awful football the 750 people there can warm themselves thinking of our rivalry.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Palace are small fry now to be fair, and on a downward spiral.

With Portsmouth disappearing as well for a few years, i reckon a new rivalry with Southampton is where it is heading.

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
Palace are small fry now to be fair, and on a downward spiral.

With Portsmouth disappearing as well for a few years, i reckon a new rivalry with Southampton is where it is heading.

It gets right on my tits when people just label palace small fry, we have been below them for the best part of 30 years! but we finish above them in the league by 7 points and that's that, there not worthy of are rivalry? Arrogance is an understatement.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It gets right on my tits when people just label palace small fry, we have been below them for the best part of 30 years! but we finish above them in the league by 7 points and that's that, there not worthy of are rivalry? Arrogance is an understatement.

Well of course they occupied a false position funded by charities, small businesses, and the taxpayer, so I don't think we can really take the last 10 or so seasons of their 'superiority' too seriously.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset

This. Plus the fact that after all the years of being below them, when we are above them people want to start having a rivalry with someone else? where's the fun in that?

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
I am well aware of the way they cheated there way to the prem, but still you cant ever change who your main rivals are! it will always be palace no matter what league they or we are in!

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
We've only just got back in the same division as them 18 months ago! Yes, we finished above them last year - but we didn't beat them! We'll (very) probably finish above them this year too, but we still haven't beaten them yet. After a few consecutive seasons of us being in a division above them, then this might be a fair question - but the answer will still probably be no, as they continued to hate us while we languished in Division 3.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
One of the indicators we're REALLY back is to do the double over Palace.

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
We are their cup final, they are the new leyton orient to us.
5-0 to us at their place would do nicely please thankyou.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Yeah great idea, let's just change our main rivals and hate Leeds and man utd like everyone else? :)

Yeah, no thanks.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Blimey, let's just wait until we've really eclipsed them shall we? And seeing as they were bigger and better than us for about thirty consecutive years and people (on both sides) still consider us to be main rivals I think that day is still some way off.

(NB: This thread mentions Southampton. Any minute now one of the Brighton-obsessed Southampton fans will be on here desperately claiming that we are obsessed with them!)

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If we can beat them that might be a start this season.
This

Is that not what the situation has been like for the last 20 years anyway, just with Palace on top on the footballing side of things?
This

That

We've only just got back in the same division as them 18 months ago! Yes, we finished above them last year - but we didn't beat them! We'll (very) probably finish above them this year too, but we still haven't beaten them yet. After a few consecutive seasons of us being in a division above them, then this might be a fair question - but the answer will still probably be no, as they continued to hate us while we languished in Division 3.
The other

Stupid thread
Bingo

Shit thread i agree.
lol x

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here