Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Berlin Advice Please

Snowy

Jul 14, 2003
Perranporth
I'm off to Berlin for a long weekend very soon with Mrs Snowy. Are there any recommendations for places to stay and see from the wordly and wise on NSC please?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I stayed in the Scandic hotel when I was there last year, I would recommend it highly, very modern and great value for money. It's just round the corner from Potsdamer Platz where there's one of the main stations and a big entertainment centre, plus it's a short walk to some of the main sights.

If you're into WW2 history then there's obviously plenty to keep you occupied, bits of the Berlin Wall, Checkpoint Charlie and a whole area called Museum Island which is fairly self explanatory.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
dont go to the das fluffy bunny club with ur mrs 40 euros for a bottle of beer and 250 euros for a blow job all very upsetting.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I'm thinking of a few nights in Berlin with my missis. Heard it's a good town, and the WW2 and cold war history particularly interests me. Also, is there as much of filth and sexy time places as you'd expect from those liberal Germans?

u'vebeenamexed

Whateverhappenedto.......
Sep 23, 2011
Hove-By-The-Sea
It's a great city - recommend you get around it by train , which is really cheap, as it is quite a large city. The Olympic stadium is good but a long way out - we purchased tickets for a Hertha Berlin match the day before the game in the tourist offices sited below the Brandenburg Gate.

Suggest you do a walking tour early in your trip, which you can pick up opposite the Zoo gates - only costs about £10 each. Lasts about 4 hours but incorporates train ride and info on war sites, berlin wall, shopping, markets, etc - then you can go back to the best bits later. :thumbsup:

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
There is a free walking tour that takes about 4 hours. Leaves from the Brandenburg Gate.

This is an absolute must. One of the most amazing things I have ever done.

Get to see loads of the city and our guide was great when I did it.

You won't be disappointed if you do it mate.

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester
Get the five day travelcard (sorry i've forgotten the actual name for it) which covers all local trains (S-Bahn) underground (U-Bahn) and buses, very good value. I was there two years ago and encountered no beggars on public transport. A colleague was there two months ago and had no such issues.

As for Museums the main history museum on Museum Island does what it says on the tin, but just across the river is the DDR Museum, which sets out "typical life" in communist East Germany in a very tongue in cheek fashion. Includes a spin round an East German housing estate in a Trabant (car body is real, surroundings are video wall) a mock up of a garishly decorated flat and a history of East German nudism.
DDR Museum - Home

The Deutsche Technik Museum is well worth several hours of your time if you are into science, technology and transport. It has seperate floors for cars & buses, boats, planes and a seperate building and yard with turntable for trains and sections on everything from cameras through power generation and manufacturing to textiles.
Deutsches Technikmuseum Berlin - Home

And if you're into punk rock there is a small Ramones Musuem set up by a fan. It's in the back of a coffee shop and doesn't take long to go round so the other half can put feet up with a coffee & cake if not interested.
RAMONES MUSEUM & BAR BERLIN

Last edited:

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Go up the TV/radio tower. Great views for good photos and a great experience. Not badly priced either although be prepared to wait a little while as it's usually pretty busy. It's a great historic city so cram as much in as possible. The giant pretzels are something to behold as well!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Love Berlin, one of my fave European cities. Want to go back. Lovely, cheap beer too!

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester
Also a riverboat trip on the Spree, either in the city centre or a longer trip from Treptow to Kopenik and the Muggelsee lake. Kopenik is a charming historic town on the eastern edge of the city and the Muggelsee is a large lake with wooded shores, where the boat will pull up at a large beer garden where you can while away the time until the next boat comes along.

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
I'm heading there for the first time this Saturday morning for the weekend. I'll feed back next week.

Big_Unit

Sep 5, 2011
Hove
There's a guided tour of nuclear bunkers that starts at one of the U-BAHN stations... can't remember which but it might be Googleable. The Dunker Club on Dunkerstrasse does a British Indie night on Fridays...

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
Since you're there for the weekend, Sunday afternoon has to be spent at Mauerpark. The Bearpit Karaoke is the best f***ing time ever: http://www.bearpitkaraoke.com/

Don't turn up if it's pouring down, though.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Berlin is really good value, you can have a good time for not a lot. Saying that property prices are rocketing, it may not stay that way for long..

guster

Jul 13, 2011
West Stand Lower
I second the DDR museum, its fun and interactive and very easy to get to.

Head to Bernauer Strasse, its easy to get to by U-Bahn, its an outdoor museum on the Berlin Wall and the stories that go with, plenty of video and audio clips along the way down the street.

One of my favourite things was going to Hohenschoenhausen Prison, its a little out of the way but definitely worth the trip. Its an old east german prison, and you are shown around by a former inmate who relates his stories about the era and how he ended up inside.

Topography of Terror is a must, you can spend hours in the place reading about the Nazi party and the crimes committed.

The U-Bahn is very easy to use and doesnt seem to get very busy at all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here