Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Brighton Scouts Gang Shows 1970s

I went down to Brighton yesterday (from Wiltshire) for my uncle's funeral at Downsview Crematorium. I got to the place half an hour early, and was amazed to see a group of old friends of mine going into the previous service.
It turned out that the lady they were commemorating was Rene Roach, who managed the costumes at the Gang Show for many years. I remember her from my time in the show in the early 1970s. Great times. I wondered how many scouts (or ex scouts) there were on this forum, and if anyone has been involved in the Gang Shows.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Ex 2nd Brighton Cub and Scout - my Scout Leader was Gordon Stoner who for many years was one of the producers of the Brighton Gangshow. I don't suppose he's still with us.

emphyrian

May 25, 2004
Woodingdean
Im the Scout leader at the 6th Brighton, i also assist with the Regency Explorer unit too. Been with the 6th since i was six and have clocked up 30 years with them. My son has just become a Beaver scout.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
I was in the 30th at Patcham from a Beaver up to a Scout, and also did a stint at the 2nd at St. Augustines. My family were heavily involved with the Scouts so i know a few of the neames mentioned on here already.

I was in a few Gang Shows in the late 80's early 90's. A few years ago I sat in the North Stand (the one next to The pub?) at Withdean and in the row behind me moaning all the way through was a couple of old guys who i recognised as being in charge of the Gang Shows and quite high up in Brighton Scout movement. I Mentioned my Granfathers (now dead) name to them and turned out they had grown up with him and been best friends for about 60 years. This didnt stop me being pissed off with them for moaning about Nathan Jones every time he touched the ball.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I was in the 30th at Patcham from a Beaver up to a Scout, and also did a stint at the 2nd at St. Augustines. My family were heavily involved with the Scouts so i know a few of the neames mentioned on here already.

Are you sure it was the 2nd Brighton?

I was in the 56th Brighton at Fairlight School, which then moved in with the 4th Brighton at St Augustine's.

Never did the Gang Show, mind.

Ex 2nd Brighton Cub and Scout - my Scout Leader was Gordon Stoner who for many years was one of the producers of the Brighton Gangshow. I don't suppose he's still with us.

Yes, Gordon was there. I had a long conversation with him - he hasn't changed much. I was at the 2nd Brighton 1967-1979 and was Gordon's ASL. He is now in his 80s and living in a retirement home in Shoreham. He has swapped his Land Rover for a rather more comfortable Volvo. PM me if you would like to catch up! Clive.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
Are you sure it was the 2nd Brighton?

I was in the 56th Brighton at Fairlight School, which then moved in with the 4th Brighton at St Augustine's.

Never did the Gang Show, mind.

Indeed - the 2nd was split between St Matthias and St Richards.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
I remember camping with the scouts in a site somewhere in Brighton!

It was all about building self confidence, had to do blindfolded walks and was told there was a big hole you had to jump :lolol:

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
I remember camping with the scouts in a site somewhere in Brighton!

It was all about building self confidence, had to do blindfolded walks and was told there was a big hole you had to jump :lolol:

Probably Park Wood - the wettest and muddiest place on earth ( well that's what it always seemed like ! ).

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
Yes, Gordon was there. I had a long conversation with him - he hasn't changed much. I was at the 2nd Brighton 1967-1979 and was Gordon's ASL. He is now in his 80s and living in a retirement home in Shoreham. He has swapped his Land Rover for a rather more comfortable Volvo. PM me if you would like to catch up! Clive.

Ah, that was while I was a cub in the pack run by Anne Crone. I haven't seen Gordon for 6 or 7 years - always seemed to bump into him around Brighton but as he's moved to Shoreham that explains it. I was joint SL for the 2nd in the late 90s.

Ah, that was while I was a cub in the pack run by Anne Crone. I haven't seen Gordon for 6 or 7 years - always seemed to bump into him around Brighton but as he's moved to Shoreham that explains it. I was joint SL for the 2nd in the late 90s.

The last time I saw Anne was around '87-'88. I ran a cub pack in Pulborough for a while and took them down to Brighton for a tour of the Engineerium and a football match against the 2nd (an honourable draw from what I remember). I don't think Anne is now with us. Her daughter Jane is married (to another ex 2nd Brighton scout) and is living in Australia, not sure about Paul.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The last time I saw Anne was around '87-'88. I ran a cub pack in Pulborough for a while and took them down to Brighton for a tour of the Engineerium and a football match against the 2nd (an honourable draw from what I remember). I don't think Anne is now with us. Her daughter Jane is married (to another ex 2nd Brighton scout) and is living in Australia, not sure about Paul.

You're correct that Anne is no longer with us - my mum ( Sheila ) used to run the other 2nd cub pack and went to her funeral which was quite a while ago now.

Nigella's Cream Pie

Fingerlickin good
Apr 2, 2009
Up your alley
I was in Scouts in Seaford, left after only a few months because being a small fish in a big pond was a comedown after being a sixer in the cubs.
I remember singing 'We're riding along on the crest of a wave' at Brighton gang show and going to Gilwell. Also a camping holiday at Hayling Island. One night our tent flooded in a thunderstorm. I was the youngest there, when I had trouble cleaning the dirty pots, they said use some elbow grease. Where could I get that? They said the scout master, how they laughed at how naive I was as I set off to see him. My parents visited mid-week, I persuaded them to take me home with them, after that I couldn't face seeing the scouts again so that was scouting, and camping, over for me.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
This will look like a weird bounce but .... my Mum recently passed away and I'd like to know if anyone knows if Gordon Stoner is still with us and if they have any contact details. I'd like to invite him to Mum's funeral.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here