Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Déjà vu?

Downlander

Apr 14, 2011
Perhaps! - But of which season?

Two years ago Brighton went top of League One at the end of September - and were never again headed - streching their lead to 16 points at one point.

Last season, at about this point we were top of the Championship, but then went into the first of two slumps wich cost us the chance of promotion.

Looking at the table, has the fixture list been kind to us?

Will our latest signings, excellent on paper, be dodgy on grass?

Or none of the above?

p.s. Did the stadium tour yesterday. Highly recommend. The West lower ground level - the 'engine room' of the club, particularly oozes class.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I'm very optimistic about this season. We strengthened significantly this summer and now have quality throughout the side. I'd be surprised and disappointed if we didn't make the play-offs and think we have a real chance of gaining automatic promotion.

We started well in terms of points last season but weren't as convincing. This year is far more reminiscent of 2010.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Oh, and I'll definitely be doing the stadium tour when I'm back in England later this year. Hopefully I'll be able to get to the Millwall game on Boxing Day too!

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh, and I'll definitely be doing the stadium tour when I'm back in England later this year. Hopefully I'll be able to get to the Millwall game on Boxing Day too!
You'll be lonely.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Deja Vu.

Is it Groundhog Day?

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
Depth in a better squad gives Gus options.
Last we had a League 1 core with confidence that kept them buoyed.
This, we have a higher level of talent and experience.
Champions? I wouldn't put my shirt on that - the division is very competitive and ih Hudds can do Blackpool at home, we will get done sometime too.
Maybe not palace this time eh?

Any players reading this - we do hate palace. Playing poor or not turning up v those twats is NOT an option this time.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Perhaps! - But of which season?

Two years ago Brighton went top of League One at the end of September - and were never again headed - streching their lead to 16 points at one point.

Last season, at about this point we were top of the Championship, but then went into the first of two slumps wich cost us the chance of promotion.

Looking at the table, has the fixture list been kind to us?

Will our latest signings, excellent on paper, be dodgy on grass?

Or none of the above?

p.s. Did the stadium tour yesterday. Highly recommend. The West lower ground level - the 'engine room' of the club, particularly oozes class.

It's hard to pin down but this season 'feels' a lot more like 2 years ago than last year. Last year was in part about last minute goals and scraping through some matches. This year we've been much more dominant, many more chances on goal, a much better return from equivalent matches from a year back.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I think it will be somewhere between the two and we'll have a chance of automatic promotion come the final few games.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
The fixture list has been kind to us so far this season, no real tricky games. Cardiff could have been the hardest game on paper so far. But would rather have the wins under our belts and keep the winning going. This will no doubt help when we do play the more established promotion chasers.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Point of order: At this point last season we were not top. We dropped to 2nd place after a loss in our seventh game (v Leicester), on the 25th september 2011 we were 5th.

Secondly, at no point during that league one season were we off the top spot after reaching it. We reached the top spot after beating Wednesday, and lost it. Chances are we won't be top come kick off on saturday (huddersfield are home to watford, blackburn are away to charlton, both will probably be favourites, blackpool are away to cardiff, that could be tough, but there will be a reaction to the huddersfield game). So, that will be twice we've lost the top spot - two more times than when we won league one.

So, I don't think it's a case of deja vu for either seasons.

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
We were talking about this after the Millwall game.

We were mentioning how under-whelmed we felt about being top - not that we consider it a false position, but that because we were in this position last year and the wheels subsequently fell off, we're a bit more guarded about it. However, this year is different as we have a better squad, better equipped to deal with and play better in moments of adversity.

But we're still only seven matches into the season - a long way to go.

Still, it's nice to know that no Septembers have passed by under Gus' tenure where we haven't been top of our division at some stage.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here