Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

****Official Match Thread - Watford vs Brighton - Vicarage Road - 7.45PM****

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
So, after a match off im back hoping to win a 4th match in a row with my threads - same for the Albion too - a win tonight would be a 4th consecutive one.

We could also go top (again) tonight as well and we have a near sold out allocation of 2,000 going !!!

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
I really think tonight will show us a lot. We know at home, teams will be scared of playing us, but away, we need to pick up some form. Burnley was a great result, but if that was just a lucky day, and tonight we go out and embarrass ourselves then are we back at square one?

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Feeling reasonably confident, especially if we score early - I don't think they'll be the sort to rally together and fight back. Hell, half of their squad are on loan from Udinese aren't they? They won't be losing too much sleep over Watford's league position

NickBHAFC18

Feb 24, 2012
Brighton
Looking on the Watford forum, a lot of them are predicting that we will wipe them off the pitch. Some even saying 5-1 to the Albion! Do they not know how poor we were last season away from home?

Tonight will be a test for us I think, but I'm going for a 2-1 to the Albion.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Feeling reasonably confident, especially if we score early - I don't think they'll be the sort to rally together and fight back. Hell, half of their squad are on loan from Udinese aren't they? They won't be losing too much sleep over Watford's league position

Yes, its the Udinese/Granada feeder club. 1 important player they have on loan is Alex Geijo, 29 goals in 60 games for 2 years on loan (of course) at Granada - but he isnt fit enough for tonight apparently.

Im going 2-1 for tonight, they arent a bad side and we are still recovering our away form. Good to see at this early stage that teams are already nervy of playing us !!

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Tonight and Saturday are a real test of how far we have come since last season. Going to a Blackburn or Bolton and coming away with nothing is fair enough ... 6 points from these next 2 must be a reasonable expectation.

Going for a heady 4-1 to the good guys

larus

I don't agree with this away form stuff. Last season was last season - it's over. How many of the same players are we starting with now? It's a clean slate with a vastly different set of players, so last season has no bearing on this season.

We played well at Hull but it just didn't happen; deserved to win.
We played well at Burnley and won.

This is going to be a good (even great) season. We'll have the odd slip-up, but I don't think tonight is going to be one of those nights.

Fairly confident of a straight-forward win, but of course, things can go wrong....

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Referee: DARREN DRYSDALE
Assistants: Nigel Lugg and Barry Holderness
Fourth Official: Craig Hicks

League Matches at Watford
Brighton wins - 12
Watford wins - 19
Draws - 16
Brighton goals - 49
Watford goals - 65

League Results at Watford (last 30 years)
English League Championship

01.11.2011 Watford 1-0 Brighton
03.12.2005 Watford 1-1 Brighton
11.09.2004 Watford 1-1 Brighton
English Division One
05.10.2002 Watford 1-0 Brighton
English Division Two (old)
31.03.1992 Watford 0-1 Brighton
08.09.1990 Watford 0-1 Brighton
20.03.1990 Watford 4-2 Brighton
15.10.1988 Watford 1-1 Brighton
English Division One (old)
20.11.1982 Watford 4-1 Brighton

Last Season
Watford 1-0 Brighton
Att: 11,818
Possession: 47% - 53%
Shots on: 7 - 0
Shots off: 8 - 5
Corners: 3 - 4
Fouls: 16 - 7
Yellows: 3 - 1
Reds: 0 - 0
Scorer: Deeney (77)

Head-to-head
• After 104 competitive meetings since 1921, Brighton have won 42, Watford 32, with 30 all square.
• Watford are aiming to take their unbeaten sequence against the Seagulls to five (W2, D2).
• Brighton last claimed maximum points at Vicarage Road 20 years ago.
Watford
• Two wins and three defeats see Watford on six points after the first five Championship fixtures for the third time in four seasons.
• They have conceded one goal at Vicarage Road, and nine on their travels, making it the widest such discrepancy in the second tier.
• Gianfranco Zola's men have conceded the opening goal in all but one of their Championship games to date.
Brighton
• Third placed Brighton are one point off the pace, and bidding for four consecutive league victories, last attained in March 2011.
• They are the only club so far this term to have claimed three wins from Championship matches in which they have scored first.
• Should this match finish level, it will be the Seagulls' 500th away draw in their league history.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
What sort of title is that....dooooooooooomed I tell ya.

:jester:

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Lopez to start? Probably just means as part of the squad if so move along nothing to see here, but he just tweeted "Now to rest then play in London against Watford" so yeah, if he does start you heard it here first

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
I think we have the squad, confidence and impetus to roll them over comfortably. Will be glued to BBC Sussex tonight! C'mon the Blues!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
3 away games this season, 2 losses.
Away to the site of our worst performance, could play on the minds, too much emphasis on not wanting to repeat could have gus and the players second guessing themselves (Greer, Calderon, Bridcutt, LuaLua, Barnes, Mackail-Smith all featured there last season - that's our attack, captain, important defensive midfielder - key areas all with bad memories).
Watford will be heartened by the memory of our last trip there, giving them belief that they have a chance, they are on a bad run, but they started the season strong and will want to get back to winning ways.

I know this all sounds very negative, but this season I find myself looking at the negatives pre-match.

drummerboy10

Apr 18, 2012
Is tonights game streamed on the interweb at all?

My prediction for tonight is 0-2. I believe unlike last year were scoring goals and our defence is a lot stronget this year!

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I don't agree with this away form stuff. Last season was last season - it's over. How many of the same players are we starting with now? It's a clean slate with a vastly different set of players, so last season has no bearing on this season.

We played well at Hull but it just didn't happen; deserved to win.
We played well at Burnley and won.

This is going to be a good (even great) season. We'll have the odd slip-up, but I don't think tonight is going to be one of those nights.

Fairly confident of a straight-forward win, but of course, things can go wrong....

Agreed - why does anyone think Bruno, Bridge and Kusz - overwhelmingly the main reasons we've been so brilliant thus far - give a crap about last seasons away form.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here