Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Car Exhaust rip offs

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
Yes my Car exhaust was ripping at the weekend so I visited Kwik Fit in Brighton and was quoted £411 and then Formula One in Crawley and was told £380. After searching around online found a place called Mr Exhaust in Reigate. Phoned them up today and spoke to a very kind old fella who explained he had worked for the company for 40 years and assured me I would not be ripped off and said they get customers from as far as Brighton and Maidstone on a regular basis because they are good value. I got there and they took my car up on the ramp and then came in to get me and explained where the damage was. But was quite easy to repair and would do it with a 2 year guarantee all for the sum of £88. I was well happy and would definitly recommed them. OK its a 30 mile odd drive to Reigate but I work in mid-Sussex and well happy at being £300 better of this evening.

Mr Exhaust | Home

slinky

The Only Way Is Brighton
Jan 19, 2011
BN2
Yes my Car exhaust was ripping at the weekend so I visited Kwik Fit in Brighton and was quoted £411 and then Formula One in Crawley and was told £380. After searching around online found a place called Mr Exhaust in Reigate. Phoned them up today and spoke to a very kind old fella who explained he had worked for the company for 40 years and assured me I would not be ripped off and said they get customers from as far as Brighton and Maidstone on a regular basis because they are good value. I got there and they took my car up on the ramp and then came in to get me and explained where the damage was. But was quite easy to repair and would do it with a 2 year guarantee all for the sum of £88. I was well happy and would definitly recommed them. OK its a 30 mile odd drive to Reigate but I work in mid-Sussex and well happy at being £300 better of this evening.

Mr Exhaust | Home

handy to know, thanks for sharing

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Cheers for that. My exhaust has been blowing for a while and i was going to go to Kwik Fit. Prices do look reasonable at that place in Reigate. I'm only in Crawley too.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Please, do not use Kwik Fit or Halfords for anything to do with your car. Use a local independent.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Please, do not use Kwik Fit or Halfords for anything to do with your car. Use a local independent.
I normally would do but Kwik fit does it while you wait and i'm desperate to get mine sorted. Think i'll wait and save myself some money.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill

And they 'have' to keep your old Cat too apparently.. Snidey bastards.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Never go anywhere but Hi-Q. Top of the Upper Drive or Burgess Hill. Good people there.

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
And they 'have' to keep your old Cat too apparently.. Snidey bastards.

one of the reason they have to keep your old cat is that there is usually a surcharge on it, but usually they pass the surcharge onto the customer and then sell the cat as they are worth abit of money

Dumseagull

Jun 13, 2012
Lancing
as someone that used to own a car repair business... kwik fit are well known within the industry as an awfull rip off, i would never ever go there..

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
I normally would do but Kwik fit does it while you wait and i'm desperate to get mine sorted. Think i'll wait and save myself some money.

You could always bring it over to Horsham and let us have a look at it for you. I always do good rates for Albion fans as [MENTION=17142]Uwinsc[/MENTION] will vouch for.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Not sure if they are still in business? 'National Autocentres' - AVOID. Bigger shysters than Kwik Fit. Went in for a new exhaust many years ago. They called me later in the day claiming I needed over £700 of work doing on my car! They claimed I needed new brake pads & discs despite the fact I'd had them replaced three months earlier elsewhere!

Old Hadlothian

@san_miguel73
Jul 24, 2007
Borough of Crows
I have just sourced an exhaust from Germany - £33 inc delivery (mid section only), would cost £60.00 upwards in the UK. My local garage have confirmed the correct part & will fit it upon arrival.
This country truly is a rip off.
In answer to Pinkie, National Auto centres has been taken over by Halfords & they are the reason I need a new part... they replaced the back box & failed to notice (whilst in for MOT) that the braket holding it in place was rustier than a russty thing covered in rust.. needless to say it failed & the mis section hit the floor. I am still pressuring the head office to pay for the replacement. I will never ever ever use them again & the same goes for Kwik Fit....

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
We are located just across the road from Kwik fit in Horsham, they are without doubt our best customers, the amount of people that come to us after kwik fit have cocked their car for them is staggering.

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
the big difference in prices is due to either using a pattern part, or genuine part. pattern parts will always be cheaper but often have gaps that need to be filled with putty etc and will rarely be a perfect fit and could lead to issues down the line. also things like a pattern cat converter wont come with a heatshield but a genuine one will.

that said, kwik fit and dealers will still rip you off on labour and prices for parts and will only use genuine anyway, so ask independant to quote for a genuine part as well as a pattern part.

Last edited:

humpy

Mar 13, 2006
worthing
You could always bring it over to Horsham and let us have a look at it for you. I always do good rates for Albion fans as [MENTION=17142]Uwinsc[/MENTION] will vouch for.

Hi mate I work in Crawley and I need my exhaust doing on fiat stilo 1.6 '03 plate

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here