125px-Brighton_%26_Hove_Albion_logo.svg.png
v
SWFC_Weblogo_reasonably_small.jpg

Ref: Nigel Miller
Assistants: Andrew Laver and John Busby
Forth Official: Andy Davies

BHA v Sheffield W - Score Predictor

Sheffield_Wednesday F.C. (wiki).
Sheffield Wednesday Football Club. Website for fans of The Owls.
Sheffield Wednesday Owlstalk News

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
We'll lose 5-0 now :facepalm:

Admittedly we do need to check that there is no link between me and winning - and if we lose to anyone it must be the MASSIVE Sheffield Wednesday !!!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Potted History (not so many Trophies)

The year was 1958 and Brighton & Hove Albion (the tinpot team) had spent almost all their history in Divison 3 (south) since it was formed. Now they were in Division 2 for the first time and they were getting hammered most weeks 9-0 at Middlesbrough, 5-0 at Liverpool (second divsion also-rans) 3-0 at Bristol City (getting better). Cup glory: nope, Brighton had not won a Cup match against a good team for as long as anybody could remember. It was at the Goldstone which was a big open terrace, a tin shed (North Stand) and they had just started building the West Stand, which never did get finished.

So the MASSIVE Sheffield Wednesday were visting (must been such a downer for such a MASSIVE club to find out where they had to visit?) Not many clubs did because they didn't win many. It must have been a fine day in October (not raining) because 26,987 turned up (at the time the second highest gate of the season) and Brighton lost and Wednesday went up as Champions.

The Hillsbrough gate was 21,368 as they were heading up as Champions.

Is anybody alive who went to that match ? Not me.
Will they be in the crowd on Friday?

Wednesday had to come back in 1972-73 as got relegated out of Division 1. Brighton were floundering at the bottom of the Division 2. That match I did go to. The crowd was 18,699 and it was a thrilling 3-3 draw. The away gate was 16,122.

In 1976-77 the MASSIVE Wednesday got relegated to Division 3 and we had to play them again. The Goldstone was much the same although the West Stand was half built by then. This time the crowd was 30,756 and we were 0-1 down at half time to win 3-2. The Hillsborough game was 0-0 and the crowd was 17,177.

To sum it up it is really good for them to let the smaller tinpot clubs to play at Hillsborough against the MASSIVE Wednesday. And losing semi-finals in 1983 when they were not at the races.

Football Web Pages.co.uk | Npower Championship | Attendances

It looks like it will be the third largest attendance at home (or away) against Sheffield Wednesday.
I forecast a crowd of about 26,525 just short of the 26,794 for the first meeting. I might be a little optimistic?

It has never much been about playing the MASSIVE Sheffield Wednesday but how well Brighton are doing at the time. Have they got any star players now?

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I think it should be the largest home attendance since the all-tcket FA Cup tie against Norwich City in 1983 when the capacity was set at 28,800. That is a lifetime for many younger fans.

Correction:
The biggest attendance against Sheffield Wednesday was 54,627 in the semi-final so it could be the fourth largest attendance against Wednesday, perhaps even the third.

Jimmy Melia resigned and Chris Cattlin was in charge of the next match in Division 2 against Sheffield Wednesday when we were in the bottom half of the table and the gate fell to 14, 827 and we lost 1-3 to Wednesday who were promoted that year. That was the end of the glory years.

Last edited:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Just in case, and also fourth was spelt incorrectly...

Referee: NIGEL MILLER
Assistants: Andrew Laver and John Busby
Fourth Official: Andy Davies

League Matches at Brighton
Brighton wins - 3
Sheff Weds wins - 4
Draws - 3
Brighton goals - 14
Sheff Weds goals - 19

League Results at Brighton (all time)
English League One

09.04.2011 Brighton 2-0 Sheff Weds
English League Championship
17.04.2006 Brighton 0-2 Sheff Weds
English Division Two
20.09.2003 Brighton 2-0 Sheff Weds
English Division One
21.04.2003 Brighton 1-1 Sheff Weds
English Division Two (old)
03.10.1990 Brighton 0-4 Sheff Weds
22.10.1983 Brighton 1-3 Sheff Weds
English Division Three (old)
03.05.1977 Brighton 3-2 Sheff Weds
24.04.1976 Brighton 1-1 Sheff Weds
English Division Two (old)
21.10.1972 Brighton 3-3 Sheff Weds
11.10.1958 Brighton 1-3 Sheff Weds

Last Season
N/A

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
It must have been a fine day in October (not raining) because 26,987 turned up (at the time the second highest gate of the season) and Brighton lost and Wednesday went up as Champions.

It looks like it will be the third largest attendance at home (or away) against Sheffield Wednesday.
I forecast a crowd of about 26,525 just short of the 26,794 for the first meeting. I might be a little optimistic?

Are these supposed to be the one and the same game? Am confused?

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I have predicted a 4-0 win. Optimistic maybe but we have a lot of firepower and the crowd......

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
perseus, are you a Wednesday fan? I assume so, otherwise you'd have left HawkTheSeagull to start this thread.
**** Official Match Thread - Burnley vs Brighton - Turf Moor - 3PM ****
****Official Match Thread - Brighton vs Barnsley - 3PM 25/8****
****Official Match Topic - Brighton vs Chelsea - 3PM****

Transfer deadline day signings, weeks of training for this game, our biggest home crowd for decades, all thrown away because you wanted to start the bloody thread. Brilliant.

and you've missed the u out of fourth...:ffsparr:

if we loose i'm gonna wee in yer letter box.

Flavor Flav

Get those trousers off!
Jul 5, 2008
West Sussex
I fully expect Greer to be substituted at half time for breaking down in tears at what an achievement it is to share a pitch with Sheffield Wednesday.

3-1 to the Albion.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I absolutely cannot wait for tonight. It's like the season is starting again. BRING IT ON.

2-0 Albion - a repeat of 2 years ago.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
What an absolute car crash of an official thread. Well f***ing done [MENTION=153]perseus[/MENTION]. :nono:

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
oh, great. This thread's a mess. In fact, it's worse than a mess, it's the thread version of Kerry Katona - It's all over the shop and no-one can make out what the hell's going on. We'll definitely lose now, probably 12-0 :(

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here