Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amex to host Rugby World Cup Games? (merged threads)

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Not seen this mentioned before, but I've just found out that Brighton (and the Amex) is being considered as a host city for the 2015 Rugby World Cup.

Whilst I doubt England games would be played here it would still be great to see some International Egg Chucking in Sussex.

Only slight concern is the RWC takes place in Sept/Oct rather than the close season.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Amex to host Rugby World Cup Games?

Not seen this mentioned before, but I've just found out that Brighton (and the Amex) is being considered as a host city for the 2015 Rugby World Cup.

Whilst I doubt England games would be played here it would still be great to see some International Egg Chucking in Sussex.

Only slight concern is the RWC takes place in Sept/Oct rather than the close season.

I hope not

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Surely the timing would make it a no then?

D

Deleted member 22389

It would be excellent and extra revenue for the club.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I think you are talking bollocks. No mention of it here, grounds have already been picked it would seem:

m.guardian.co.uk

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
Can you imagine what Gus would say! :)

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
World Cup 2015: the host grounds
The 2015 Rugby World Cup in England will run from the opening match on 4 September to the final at Twickenham on 17 October. The RFU expects to sell 2.8million tickets for the tournament, with matches to be played in 10 cities across England and Wales.
Twickenham (London) – The home of English rugby hosted the 1991 World Cup final. Capacity: 82,000. Matches: Final, both semi-finals, one quarter-final, pool games.
Wembley (London) – England's biggest stadium, which is to host two Saracens matches this season. Capacity: 90,000. Matches: One quarter-final, pool games.
Emirates Stadium (London) – Arsenal's new stadium has never staged a rugby match before. Capacity: 60,432. Matches: Bronze-medal match, pool games.
Millennium Stadium (Cardiff) – The only stadium being used outside England. Capacity: 73,350. Matches: Two quarter-finals; pool games.
Old Trafford (Manchester) – Manchester United's ground staged Argentina v England this summer. Capacity: 76,100. Matches: Pool games.
St James' Park (Newcastle) – Newcastle's stadium takes the tournament to the north-east. Capacity: 52,387. Matches: Pool games.
Anfield (Liverpool) – Liverpool's ground staged warm-up games before the 1999 World Cup. Capacity: 45,000. Matches: Pool games.
Elland Road (Leeds) – Leeds United's ground is more used to staging Test rugby league. Capacity: 40,204. Matches: Pool games.
St Mary's Stadium (Southampton) – Southampton's ground has staged international football before and will represent the south coast in the bid. Capacity: 32,689. Matches: Pool games.
Ricoh Arena (Coventry) – Has hosted the EDF Energy Cup final and Heineken Cup fixtures. Capacity: 32,500. Matches: Pool games.
Welford Road (Leicester) – The home of Leicester Tigers is currently being developed into England's biggest club rugby ground. Capacity: 30,000 (projected). Matches: Pool games.
Kingsholm (Gloucester) – One of the most atmospheric grounds could be expanded by 2015. Capacity: 18,000 (projected). Matches: Pool games.

D

Deleted member 22389

Probably already posted
Now under consideration — London: Olympic Stadium (to be reduced to 60,000); Derby: Pride Park (33,597); Ipswich: Portman Road (30,311); Leicester: King Power Stadium (32,262); Sunderland: Stadium of Light (49,000); Birmingham: Villa Park (42,788); Brighton: AMEX Stadium (27,350); Reading: Madejski Stadium (24,161).

Read more: Rugby chiefs want to use Olympic Stadium in 2015 World Cup | Mail Online

Dec 29, 2011
Brighton isn't a massive Rugby city like Hull or Bradford. However, being the only stadium on the list for an absolute mile (Reading/London being closest) i'm sure they will be able to fill it on a few occasions.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Would be amazing, bring it on

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Re: Amex to host Rugby World Cup Games?

Would love this, it would be a great spectacle. We might even be able to drink while watching the game, which would be very strange at the AMEX.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here