Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Merson set to leave Pompey - for Walsall for Fecks sake

Surely he'd rather play for us than that tin pot outfit

Walsall lead Merson chase

Merson is on his way out at Pompey

Walsall have emerged as the favourites to sign Paul Merson after West Brom turned down the chance to sign him.

Portsmouth manager Harry Redknapp said on Monday that he had given the former England international permission to speak to two Midlands clubs about a move away from Fratton Park.

Merson is understood to have opened negotiations with Colin Lee's First Division side about a move to the Bescot Stadium.

The 35-year-old, whose young family still live in the Midlands, is thought to be unsettled and has also had discussions with West Brom.

But Baggies boss Gary Megson vetoed the idea of signing Merson, who played a major role in getting Portsmouth promoted to the Premiership last season.

"I discussed the idea [of signing Merson] with the manager but Gary doesn't believe Merson fits in with our current plans," said West Brom chairman Jeremy Peace.

Walsall would be keen to land a player of Merson's quality and experience, but any possible deal would have to be at the right price.

The Saddlers have made a profit in each of the past 11 seasons and are unlikely to abandon their prudent financial policy given that Lee has been ordered to trim the wage bill by £1m.

Anderton linked with Pompey

If Portsmouth are willing to settle Merson's contract, which still has a year to run, the pay-out may allow him to fall in line with Walsall's wage structure.

Meanwhile, Redknapp is still hoping he can persuade Spurs veteran Darren Anderton to return to his former club.

He said: "I've spoken to Spurs but it's not gone very far at the moment. If we can put a deal together I think we can get him here.

"He is still a quality player. I know he's had his injury problems but I think he could do a very good job for us."

Redknapp has continued his reshaping of Portsmouth's squad for life in the Premiership by signing goalkeeper Harald Wapenaar on a three-year deal.

Walsall lead Merson chase :drink:

Beeneys gloves

Jul 7, 2003
I doubt we would be anywhere near his wages, anyway why would he want to play in Div 2 when he proved last season he was more than Ok for Div 1 ???

watsongooal

Jul 7, 2003
Chislehurst
Thought I would bounce this. How times change- or not as the case may be!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Surely he'd rather play for us than that tin pot outfit

Walsall lead Merson chase

Merson is on his way out at Pompey

Walsall have emerged as the favourites to sign Paul Merson after West Brom turned down the chance to sign him.

Portsmouth manager Harry Redknapp said on Monday that he had given the former England international permission to speak to two Midlands clubs about a move away from Fratton Park.

Merson is understood to have opened negotiations with Colin Lee's First Division side about a move to the Bescot Stadium.

The 35-year-old, whose young family still live in the Midlands, is thought to be unsettled and has also had discussions with West Brom.

But Baggies boss Gary Megson vetoed the idea of signing Merson, who played a major role in getting Portsmouth promoted to the Premiership last season.

"I discussed the idea [of signing Merson] with the manager but Gary doesn't believe Merson fits in with our current plans," said West Brom chairman Jeremy Peace.

Walsall would be keen to land a player of Merson's quality and experience, but any possible deal would have to be at the right price.

The Saddlers have made a profit in each of the past 11 seasons and are unlikely to abandon their prudent financial policy given that Lee has been ordered to trim the wage bill by £1m.

Anderton linked with Pompey

If Portsmouth are willing to settle Merson's contract, which still has a year to run, the pay-out may allow him to fall in line with Walsall's wage structure.

Meanwhile, Redknapp is still hoping he can persuade Spurs veteran Darren Anderton to return to his former club.

He said: "I've spoken to Spurs but it's not gone very far at the moment. If we can put a deal together I think we can get him here.

"He is still a quality player. I know he's had his injury problems but I think he could do a very good job for us."

Redknapp has continued his reshaping of Portsmouth's squad for life in the Premiership by signing goalkeeper Harald Wapenaar on a three-year deal.

Walsall lead Merson chase :drink:

What a sad lesson this is:

Financial Prudence = nothing, you get nowhere.
Financial Suicide = Cup Finals, Premiership football, and even when it go pop TWICE, you can still tempt players away from Sheff Utd with the offer of top wages.

Football is so fecked it's embarrassing.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Interesting point by [MENTION=272]Gritt23[/MENTION] - Walsall no longer own their ground, and the fans suspect that the owner is trying to quietly kill off the club (as the land the stadium is on is a decent piece of real estate). Any fans that have protested have been ejected from the ground and banned.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
They need to go through with the threat to ban clubs from Europe if the books don't add up, and make sure there's no loopholes.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Interesting point by [MENTION=272]Gritt23[/MENTION] - Walsall no longer own their ground, and the fans suspect that the owner is trying to quietly kill off the club (as the land the stadium is on is a decent piece of real estate). Any fans that have protested have been ejected from the ground and banned.

Blimey, didn't know that. So even clubs who have returned a profit and cautiously tried to exist within their means, can still end up in the hands of sharks.

Honestly, the more you dig into this game of ours, the more it is just riddled with vermin, and disease.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here