Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Watford be the dark horses of the Championship?

After a frenetic last day of the transfer window, it is clear that there are several clubs, ourselves included, who have serious chances of promotion this season.

I noticed that Watford have taken 5 players from Udinese on loan, meaning that they now have 10 players in their squad from the Italian Serie A side. Last season, Udinese finished 3rd in the league and took a Champions League place. They are co-owned with Watford, and it seems to me that their owners (the Pozzo family) have the ambition to see both sides playing at the highest level.

Will they be in the mix at the end of the season?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not convinced that their manager is that good tbh

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
What are the rules on loan players? I thought you're only allowed 5 in a match day squad but am I right in thinking this doesn't count if they are from foreign sides? Doesn't seem quite right.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
No chance Zola is a bad manager, has the right ideas about football bit no idea how to execute it. And all those loans will only result in bad things. Total inexperience to deal with this league.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I guess their new owners would love them to be in the mix.

Normally having so many new players could be disruptive but in this case with them all coming in from one Club it will be just like them putting out the Udinese development squad so might work. On the other hand aren't the number of loanees you play limited? So they will have to integrate with the existing Watford players, maybe not quite the quick fix after all.

Whether or not it is right just to parachute in a whole new team from the other Club you own is another matter. Plus QPR went out and bought 12 new signings in the transfer window which is a bit different but still feels wrong. I feel sorry for the young players looking to break into Watford's first team seeing their hopes dashed because they are now at the back of a long queue.

There are too many questions around these arrangements plus the whole transfer window thing is ridiculous. £400m changed hands up to last night but how much of that will filter down to the smaller clubs compared for example that will go to players agents? Plus there is the parachute payments arrangement that just creates an artifical situation that benefits some clubs and compromises others. Clubs like Blackburn now get to spray money around for 2-3 seasons. It isn't a level playing field.

Stumpy Tim

Hopefully they'll do shit as punishment for the way they treated Dyche. That was on a par with our treatment of Wilkins - and look how shit we were that season. Hopefully history repeats itself with Watford

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
After a frenetic last day of the transfer window, it is clear that there are several clubs, ourselves included, who have serious chances of promotion this season.

I noticed that Watford have taken 5 players from Udinese on loan, meaning that they now have 10 players in their squad from the Italian Serie A side. Last season, Udinese finished 3rd in the league and took a Champions League place. They are co-owned with Watford, and it seems to me that their owners (the Pozzo family) have the ambition to see both sides playing at the highest level.

Will they be in the mix at the end of the season?

No chance. If you took even Barcelonas or Man Citys reserve side they would struggle to get promoted from this league.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
No. Midtable for them.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
3-0 down today...

D

Deleted member 18477

Lol @ Watford, their owners are clearly thick as shit!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here