Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lance Armstrong ends fight against doping charges

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
US cyclist Lance Armstrong has announced he will no longer fight drug charges from the US anti-doping agency, ahead of a Friday deadline.

In a statement sent to Associated Press, Armstrong, 40, says he is innocent but weary of the accusations.

His decision could lead to sanctions from the doping agency, including a lifetime ban from cycling and the loss of his tour titles.

The seven-time Tour de France winner retired from cycling in 2011.

The US Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) alleges he used banned substances as far back as 1996, including the blood-booster EPO, steroid and blood transfusions.

Armstrong sued in federal court to block the charges but lost.
'Nonsense'

"There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, 'Enough is enough.' For me, that time is now," Armstrong said in the statement.

"I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in winning my seven Tours since 1999.

"Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a two-year federal criminal investigation followed by Travis Tygart's [USADA's chief executive] unconstitutional witch hunt.

"The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for our foundation and on me leads me to where I am today - finished with this nonsense."

Armstrong had until 06:00 GMT Friday to decide whether to continue fighting the USADA charges.

The cyclist earlier accused the agency of offering "corrupt inducements" to other riders to testify against him.

The agency can impose a lifetime ban and recommend Armstrong be stripped of his titles.

Armstrong, who survived testicular cancer prior to his record-breaking Tour wins, retired after the 2005 Tour de France but made a comeback in 2009.

He retired for a second time in February 2011.

He will end up being stripped of everything, he says he is innocent but will not fight it anymore?

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
They have been trying to find him guilty of anything for years.

If they are going to go back through history out the records of anyone that doped there would be no Tour winner in the 70s or 80s. If he was juiced do be it, he was competing against others that were juiced. Just let it lie FFS!

/rant

Pat McCrotch

Lurker
Oct 25, 2005
Shoreham-by-the-sea
What I don't get is, do they actually have samples from him that have tested positive? Surely he must have given hundreds of samples throughout his career. How come they are only going after him now? From what I have read the USADA were going to get his ex teammates to testify against him (no room for corruption there is there!?). But without the samples these testimonies aren't worth salt.

Seems like this Travis Tygart fella has it in for Armstrong on a personal level.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
What I don't get is, do they actually have samples from him that have tested positive? Surely he must have given hundreds of samples throughout his career. How come they are only going after him now? From what I have read the USADA were going to get his ex teammates to testify against him (no room for corruption there is there!?). But without the samples these testimonies aren't worth salt.

Seems like this Travis Tygart fella has it in for Armstrong on a personal level.
Summed up so well.

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
His reputation is everything I thought he would fight and fight for that no matter the pressure or the cost, giving up now must mean they have enough evidence against him that he knows he can't win, no other reason to give up at this stage.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
His reputation is everything I thought he would fight and fight for that no matter the pressure or the cost, giving up now must mean they have enough evidence against him that he knows he can't win, no other reason to give up at this stage.

Or it is making him ill, and being a cancer survivor doesn't want to risk things anymore and wants enjoy the rest of guys life with his family.

Guilty out not he is still one of the best athletes to have ever lived.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Or it is making him ill, and being a cancer survivor doesn't want to risk things anymore and wants enjoy the rest of guys life with his family.

Thats up for debate, and now i cant say it as he wont fight his corner any more.

If he i s a drugs cheat he is not one of the best, he is a drug cheat simple as.

But we will never know the truth in this case, clearly there is some evidence against him

k2bluesky

Sep 22, 2008
Brighton
He's brash, aggressive and was probably not popular either in the peleton or with his team mates, so not to hard to find people who have a beef with him willing to say he cheated although there was never enough physical evidence to convict him, maybe he also ruffled some feathers in the political world or upset someone with shitloads of money and influence who has made this their goal - he'll just be wasting more money against people with a bottomless purse trying to defend the 'charges'.
He was a great cyclist and did a hell of a lot for people who have suffered from cancer and other illnesses by proving a bike and willpower can be a route back to full health (for me, from personal experience).
Whatever titles they strip him of, he has left a legacy more important than winning a cycle race and for that many will regard him in high esteem.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
They have been trying to find him guilty of anything for years.

If they are going to go back through history out the records of anyone that doped there would be no Tour winner in the 70s or 80s. If he was juiced do be it, he was competing against others that were juiced. Just let it lie FFS!

/rant
I disagree. He cheated his way to his success and, in my eyes, never won anything. Although I agree about any other winners in the 70s and 80s (and 90s). I think all of them should be downgraded to 'the doping TdF'.

By giving up like this his whole career and whole life means nothing, no records, no titles, no credibility
I never credited him with any of that anyway. But it is a sign of guilt. No matter how tiring it was, if you had his record and you were innocent, you'd fight the charges no matter what.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

Yep, up there with Ben Johnson.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
By giving up like this his whole career and whole life means nothing, no records, no titles, no credibility

He has spent virtually all his life fighting other opponents on a bike, anti-doping people and cancer. I can easily see why he might now decide he wants a break.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It is very hard to figure this decision as anything other than a declaration of guilt, I would fight this until my grave if I was being wrongly accused no matter how sick I was.
Exactly. If his record had been clean, it would have been one of the best records in the history of sport, and you'd rather die and keep it than just give in and give it up. But given that most of the rest of the field were doping, I don't see how anyone could ever think he wasn't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here