Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

****Brighton and Hove Albion V Cardiff City, AMEX, 21 August 2012, Match Thread****

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Am I missing the main thread or score predictor.

Really looking forward to getting back into the AMEX for a championship game.

Looking forward to seeing CMS, Lua Lua, Vicente, Wayne Bridge and Bruno if selected.

Going for an Albion 2-0 :amex:

Last edited:

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Argus saying this on player selection

Vicente is available after missing Hull with an inflamed thigh tendon but winger Will Buckley (hamstring) will be saved for Saturday’s visit by Barnsley, despite impressing in training yesterday.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Well that's it, with a thread title like that we're going to get thrashed e.t.c. e.t.c.

Any news on the transport?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
MATCH FACTS
Head-to-head

• This is the 60th competitive meeting, and each club has won 21 of the previous 59.

• Last season's corresponding fixture was a 2-2 draw, but Brighton's 3-1 success in the reverse fixture was their only maximum in seven matches against Cardiff.

• Brighton need one goal to total 50 in home league matches with the Bluebirds.

Brighton & Hove Albion

• Still hunting a first goal, having lost 3-0 away to Swindon in the Capital One Cup, and 1-0 to Hull at the KC Stadium on Saturday.

• The Seagulls are now without victory in nine league games (D5, L4), since defeating Derby at the Amex on 20 March.

• Not been without a point after the first two matches of a league season since 2004.

Cardiff City

• Mark Hudson's 90th minute goal for Cardiff secured the first three points of the Championship season, home to Huddersfield on Friday.

• The Bluebirds are unbeaten in 11 regular league games (W5, D6), and are chasing a fourth consecutive win on the road (discounting the 3-0 loss to West Ham in the play-off semi-final).

• If he plays, Kevin McNaughton will be making his 400th career league appearance.

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
National Rail‏@NRE_Southern on Twitter saying

CLEARED: Delays through Haywards Heath. Trains are now running normally through Haywards Heath following a signalling problem. #fb

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
Keep this updated on the regular good folk of NSC as this is my only means of finding out what's going on tonight as I'm on me hols :)

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
From Cardiff forum

Cardiff City have the luxury of a nearly fully fit squad for tonight's clash with Brighton and Hove Albion but we will again be without French striker Rudy Gestede - out with a knee problem but making decent progress.

Stephen McPhail (hamstring) and Kadeem Harris (thigh) aare both nearing a return to first team action but neither is likely to be risked tonight. Harris will likely get a run-out with the development squad, though McPhail could return as a substitute if passed fit.

Craig Bellamy played the full 90 minutes against Huddersfield so resting his knees could be a consideration for Malky Mackay. We have heard little of the 'one-game-per-week' mentality from his previous spell so he may yet start tonight.

With Anthony Gerrard departed, and Matthew Connelly yet to sign - Darcy Blake will again provide cover across the back four.

Brighton have been handed a massive boost with the return to fitness of key midfielder Vicente, the Spaniard had been struggling with a groin strain prior to the season those is now recovered. The Seagulls opted to spare him a lenghty bus journey to Hull on Saturday - preferring to rest him for tonight's game.

Another familiar name to Cardiff fans is Craig Noone, a top target in January - but despite City's best endeavours, Noone remained at Brighton and will hopefully not return to haunt us tonight.

The Seagulls will definitely be without striker Will Hoskins, who has a broken foot but Craig Mackail-Smith suffered no ill effects after retunring from a back injury so will be free to play.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Title OTT
**** 4 star game. Who are the officials?

Supporters will be watching for Vicente and Bellamy to work their magic when Whittington and Crofts may be more important?

I tip Craig Noone to score Albion's first goal of the season!

Last season after watching their games against Liverpool and opening fixture at Upton Park made me think that Cardiff had the best central defensive pairing in the Championship. But their defence cannot be any good without their full backs makinbg a tight unit.

Both teams have the players to play 4-3-3 or variants thereof. I think the fortune we had to win 3-1 at Cardiff last season deserted us at Swindon and Hull.

Cardiff have got an important match coming up against Bristol City at the weekend but this is is the important one for the players if not the supporters. We avoided the embarassment of meeting West Ham in the play-offs when we were not ready.

Cardiff struggled to beat Huddersfield 1-0 in the opening game, but I think any team will struggle against Huddersfield who might prove a nuisance to the promotion contenders this season.

We are going to have to be very careful with their set pieces as I don't think they will make many inroads from open play.

Will their full backs dare to push forward?

Last edited:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
League Matches at Brighton
Brighton wins - 13
Cardiff wins - 7
Draws - 7
Brighton goals - 49
Cardiff goals - 31

Last season