Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mayo pledges future to Albion

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Kerry Mayo today pledged his future to relegated Albion, despite proving he is good enough for Division One.

The long-serving defender had "my best season in professional football" as the Seagulls lost their fight for First Division survival.

Axed early on, he finished as runner-up to captain Danny Cullip in the player of the season poll.

Mayo, still with two years remaining on his contract, has no intention of deserting to play at a higher level.

"I found Division One a lot easier than Division Two and Three," he said. "I felt more comfortable.

"I think I proved to myself and everyone else that I am capable of playing at Division One level.

"I am totally gutted that we went down, but it doesn't make me want to leave one little bit.

"The team spirit now is a lot better than five or six years ago, when we were selling the Goldstone, were really down in the dumps and not doing well in the third division."

Mayo lost his place in the team at the start of each of the last two seasons. Now the versatile leftback is determined the same thing won't happen again.

"Throughout the summer I've looked after myself more than in previous seasons," he said.

"I have been up near the front in running sessions since we returned to training and I am feeling fit and strong. I want to start the season the way I left off the last.

"We've all come back looking sharp in training and having some laughs. Last season was a minor blip and we will be going for promotion again."

Albion play their first pre-season friendly at County League Arundel on Wednesday, July 16 (7.45pm).

Crisis club Oldham, Albion's opening day opponents at Boundary Park on August 9, have sold England under 20 fullback Chris Armstrong to Sheffield United for £100,000.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Mayo committed to future

OK, so it was hardly news, and the Duracell Genius is on contract anyway, but reading Mayo in the Evening Anus today makes me chuffed that a player who has been pilloried and abused in the past has come through, letting his football do the talking.

Not the most talented player ever to wear the stripes (but then name a talented left back in Albion's history), but his commitment and loyalty are top notch. Specially enjoy seeing him put the odd speeding winger onto the running track.

BTW, what's to say Mayo won't overtake Ernie 'Tug' Wilson's all-time appearances record? What's he on now? 280? And he's still only 25 or 26. Fanciful maybe, but who apart from the Welsh Squirrel is challenging him?:clap:

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
"I am totally gutted that we went down, but it doesn't make me want to leave one little bit. "

This is championship winning talk, its got me very excited !

:clap:

Beeneys gloves

Jul 7, 2003
Have to admit I hated Mayo last season especially after the Wimbledon game when he was ripped to pieces.

BUT I think it was the Wolves away game that I saw a change in Mayo and it seemed like he understood his game and by the end of the season he had turned into a solid Division One left back

Hope he kicks on this season and continues his improvement as fans will always appreciate the efforts of a home grown talent :clap:

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Turkey said:
"Throughout the summer I've looked after myself more than in previous seasons," he said.

"I have been up near the front in running sessions since we returned to training and I am feeling fit and strong. I want to start the season the way I left off the last.

"We've all come back looking sharp in training and having some laughs. Last season was a minor blip and we will be going for promotion again."

This is the reason Steve Coppell is so important. He has got all the players wanting to be athletes and looking after themselves.

Let's hope Bobby comes back fired up to play for SC as well. Is it next Monday he returns to training?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Kerry Mayo's got a rocket shot: just got to be pointing in the right direction!

Maybe he's not fast, but he is fastest defender we have got. Not that I think we will play 5-3-2 (with wingbacks) but he would be my choice as the third man.

2 Kerry Mayo's,
theres only 2 Kerry Mayo's...

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
He was shocking at Palace, but turned his season around. He was always going to stay, but still good to see him say it like this. The man is already an Ablion legend in my eyes, and will continue to be.

I think I'll have Mayo 3 on the back of my new away shirt, whenever it comes out. He won't do a Brooker, and leave me with a shirt out of date, even though it's got a season to go.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here