Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton & Hove Council: Money-Grabbing T*ssers

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
So after a couple of weeks' holiday, I walk to my car this morning to take my daughter to nursery.

That's strange, I seem to have got a parking ticket. Surely some mistake, I thought - after all, I have a resident's parking permit. But oh dear, on closer inspection my permit expired at the end of July, and what's more, there's a 2nd parking ticket under my other wiper blade (£140 in total). No doubt had I not used my car today, I would have found a 3rd.

Naturally, it is my fault for overlooking the need to renew before going on holiday and there will be no come back - even though I have more than paid for the additional days having previously bought 30 visitor permits costing a few quid each.

However, having spent £££££££ thousands for the privilege of parking my car near my house over several years (not to mention council tax), would it be too much to expect a polite warning note rather than a parking ticket for this transgression? Nothing received in the post either.

So my question is, who are these people supposed to be serving - because it sure as hell doesn't seem to be residents and council tax payers:rant: :rant:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
You have my sympathy. These people, the policies, and their implementation are doing nothing to improve the lives of ordinary people, quite the opposite in fact, just totally piss them off.

If they are going to be jobsworths you maybe should have to pay the first one, but a fair outcome would maybe be you pay the first one at the reduced rate (£35?) and not the second one. Sadly, in my experience, the 'fair outcome' is pretty rare with parking enforcement.

Very different circumstances, but I got one yesterday which I don't understand at all, and it's going to take valuable time to contest.

My missus got a bailiff notice a few weeks ago, when she called the company it turned out to be about £300 notes owed for council tax from before we were together..seven/eight years ago! They are desperate for money and will do owt possible to raise it! Needless to say we have added this xtra to our list of bills. Adur council seem to be much better organised.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The parking schemes in the city have NOTHING to do with traffic management and EVERYTHING to do with making money. The residents parking should be run at cost but instead they make huge profits.

Could you not argue that given the car wasn't moved between the first and second ticket that only one offence has been committed ?

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
resident's parking? I'm boxed in by a few newbies to the car park, and now I can't drive straight into my spot anymore, i have to go in, reverse, go in some more....damn them for getting randomly assigned the spot to the front and right!! :D

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
So after a couple of weeks' holiday, I walk to my car this morning to take my daughter to nursery.

That's strange, I seem to have got a parking ticket. Surely some mistake, I thought - after all, I have a resident's parking permit. But oh dear, on closer inspection my permit expired at the end of July, and what's more, there's a 2nd parking ticket under my other wiper blade (£140 in total). No doubt had I not used my car today, I would have found a 3rd.

Naturally, it is my fault for overlooking the need to renew before going on holiday and there will be no come back - even though I have more than paid for the additional days having previously bought 30 visitor permits costing a few quid each.

However, having spent £££££££ thousands for the privilege of parking my car near my house over several years (not to mention council tax), would it be too much to expect a polite warning note rather than a parking ticket for this transgression? Nothing received in the post either.

So my question is, who are these people supposed to be serving - because it sure as hell doesn't seem to be residents and council tax payers:rant: :rant:

If there were taking the piss why isn't there 14 days worth of tickets? Looks like they gave you a weeks grace then started ticketing you. You did use to get renewal letters in the post from the council.

Big_Unit

Sep 5, 2011
Hove
My missus got a bailiff notice a few weeks ago, when she called the company it turned out to be about £300 notes owed for council tax from before we were together..seven/eight years ago! They are desperate for money and will do owt possible to raise it! Needless to say we have added this xtra to our list of bills. Adur council seem to be much better organised.

If the amount owing dates back more than seven years, you don't need to pay it. There's a statute of limitations on debt. They know this, but will try it on anyway...

Hove Seagull

Feb 18, 2008
Havant
Thing is, though, if we didn't have traffic wardens, people in huge 4x4's taking Hugo and Petunia to school, would park wherever the f**k they like.
Having said that, I can't believe you got two tickets for the same offence!

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Did you not get a renewal notice to renew permit ?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
The parking schemes in the city have NOTHING to do with traffic management and EVERYTHING to do with making money. The residents parking should be run at cost but instead they make huge profits.

Could you not argue that given the car wasn't moved between the first and second ticket that only one offence has been committed ?

I'm dreading the day they introduce parking permits to the north of London Road station, I won't qualify for a permit because my flat is part of some eco (nonsense) scheme so I would either have to park miles away or sell my car. It's bound to happen though, as long as the council get their extra money.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I think we have a good council. I can't give you much sympathy as it doesn't sound like you've tried to get them written off yet. The ticket office often write off charges if there are sympathetic circumstances. And if there wasn't a residents scheme the entire town would park their lazy arses in your road.
Maybe you should get a bike with a child seat and just ditch the car, think of all the money it will save you! There, I'm sure that won't annoy you ;)

Gwm

Oct 25, 2011
Did you not get a renewal notice to renew permit ?

First you get the renewal then you get 7 days grace, from the 8th they will ticket you.

I agree tho that too often these tickets are about revenue and not punishing genuine offenders.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011

Could it be.................. the Council and through them the other council tax payers and resident of Brighton & Hove

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
First you get the renewal then you get 7 days grace, from the 8th they will ticket you.

I agree tho that too often these tickets are about revenue and not punishing genuine offenders.

and here is a genuine self admitted offender being punished - where's the problem?

repomanse25

Jan 17, 2009
hove
these tickets need to be issued to raise money for cycle lanes as cyclist do not contribute in anyway. if you cant see the sense in that then you are a fool sir

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I'm afraid there is a simple rule to follow with parking in Brighton & Hove.

Never ever ever expect the council, the wardens or anyone in the parking office to ever give you the benefit of the doubt.
So;
Never overhang a yellow line by an inch
Never overstay in a bay by a single minute
Never make an error completing a visitor permit
Never fail to display your permit or your ticket so the fuckwits can't see it with ease
Never try and reason with these people

The only way to avoid this street robbery, is to tow a caravan and park it on a playing field or other grassed area

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Seem reasonable. Equally if you forget to renew your tax your car could be crushed. If you forget to renew your insurance you could go to prison... etc.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Seem reasonable. Equally if you forget to renew your tax your car could be crushed. If you forget to renew your insurance you could go to prison... etc.

Not for being two weeks late though - they are the ultimate punishments. You could argue the punishment for not displaying a valid permit is a CCJ ( as that's ultimately what you would get if you allowed the issue to continue ).

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here