Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cooksbridge

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
Just a quick question for anyone familiar with the rural area of East Sussex.. my parents have decided to sell up the family home in Burgess Hill, and are in the process of moving to their retirement bungalow in Newick. Whilst this is, I'm sure, lovely for their quality of life - it does give me a bit of a problem when coming down to see the Albion. Since we share 2 season tickets between family members, I used to get the train from Luton to Burgess Hill where I could easily pick up the season ticket, and then continue on down to Falmer.

However, since Newick appears to be in the middle of nowhere, it seems that the nearest train station is now Cooksbridge. In terms of the season ticket, this'll now need to be entrusted to Her Majesty's Royal Mail and a bit of prior organisation and I'll just get the train down directly from Luton.

My main query is regarding Cooksbridge, which appears to be the nearest station on the Lewes line. Looking on the National Rail Journey Planner, for train times on a Saturday, it seems to suggest that trains finish on a Friday and don't run over the weekend? Is that correct - or bit of a blip on the National Rail site? Also, what's the parking situation around Cooksbridge for the occasions that I do drive down for the weekend?

Thanks for any advice!

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
I think it is right. The Lewes to Uckfiled line was closed for years and opened again a few years back after a lot of work from locals. I think it only runs Monday to Friday

edit: getting confused. Cooksbridge station is on the mainline but only operates Monday to Friday.

Make sure the season ticket is in a substantial envelope; I work for Royal Mail and I have seen a few ripped envelopes over the years that have contained cards. Occasionally they get ripped as they go through the machines.

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
Balls. Looks like I'll be going from Plumpton then. And a hefty 15 spaces in their station car park!

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Easiest job would be Lewes mate.

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
Easiest job would be Lewes mate.

I did consider that, but was thinking about the parking issue. I imagine that quite a few people tend to park at Lewes and get the train in from there, so wanted to avoid getting involved in having to hunt around for parking spaces. Figured it might be a bit easier around Plumpton. Although the Newick-Lewes drive takes the same as Newick-Plumpton, it'd obviously be direct from Lewes to Falmer so a bit quicker on the train.

Ultimately, I'm sure we'd all agree that it's pretty selfish of my parents to retire to the sticks and cause travel CHAOS on match days.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Your options would be greater at Lewes and easier to get to, straight down the A275, rather than the country lanes to get to Plumpton. You would also have the option of parking near the prison and picking up a bus rather than a train, I have a feeling Plumpton is only served by one train an hour and might be less over the weekend.

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
You would also have the option of parking near the prison and picking up a bus rather than a train

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll look into that. Seems to be route 28 & 29, every 10 minutes, from 1016 to 1606. Promising. Could even get the same bus further North, in Uckfield.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Why not phone (or have your Dad phone) the ticket office when it's a match you want to go to and have printed tix waiting for you to collect?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
cooksbridge is pretty much rush hour only during the week any way.

as said, you'd be better off going to Lewes direct than mucking about to Plumton then changing. Haywards Heath/Wivelsfield/BurgessHill are much closer (and a bus??), or is that ruled out for parking reasons?

we hate palace

Aug 4, 2012
north chailey
Thanks for the suggestion - I'll look into that. Seems to be route 28 & 29, every 10 minutes, from 1016 to 1606. Promising. Could even get the same bus further North, in Uckfield.
i live in north chailey which is next to newick i either get a bus to lewes then train if i want a few beers or i drive to lewes and park up

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
Haywards Heath/Wivelsfield/BurgessHill are much closer (and a bus??), or is that ruled out for parking reasons?

He's looking at driving back to Burgess Hill, and parking down Silverdale (which happens to be where they currently live) and then getting the train in as normal. I'm sure we'll work out a new system over the first couple of months, see what works. Thanks for all the advice.

Rugrat said:
Why not phone (or have your Dad phone) the ticket office when it's a match you want to go to and have printed tix waiting for you to collect?

Isn't there a charge for printing out new tickets though? Might also be problem since we share the tickets, so although my ticket is in my name, I'll only be attending half the matches. Do they check ID to match the name of the ticket holder?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Isn't there a charge for printing out new tickets though? Might also be problem since we share the tickets, so although my ticket is in my name, I'll only be attending half the matches. Do they check ID to match the name of the ticket holder?

It might be £2, don't recall but sure saves a whole load of hassle by the sound of it.

I'm not sure of the point you're making about name. If the ticket is in your name I'd suggest you hold on to it and then when your Dad goes to the games just phone them, tell them he's attending and not you, they print it and he collects from the portakbin thingy. He's not pretending to be you, they are quite OK about letting others use your seat

I've done it a couple of times, very simple and efficient

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Whilst talking about cooksbridge, anyone been to the Rainbow since it was taken of as a marco Pierre white restaurant. Is it worth a look?

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR

I think officially there is, but on the times when I haven't been able to go, I've been able to arrange a paper ticket & have never been charged. The ticket office have always been really helpful. Even if you have to pay the £2, its surely worth it to save all the hassle of going to Plumpton or Cooksbridge? As mentioned, there's few trains stop there anyway. Cooksbridge is on the main A275 but getting to Plumpton would take you on a nice rural tour of the local lanes.

Never been asked for ID.

Zamora For England

Sep 27, 2006
Hurstpierpoint
Make sure the season ticket is in a substantial envelope; I work for Royal Mail and I have seen a few ripped envelopes over the years that have contained cards. Occasionally they get ripped as they go through the machines.

Be worth paying a few extra quid and using the Special Delivery service every time, too, from a fellow postman. £3 or £4 a go but guaranteed delivery by 1pm next day and compensation if one of us eejits loses your season ticket.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
My brother lives in Cooksbridge quite close to the station.

Trains run through there, but on weekends they don't stop. Actually, during the week its pretty much just a commuter service.

Whilst talking about cooksbridge, anyone been to the Rainbow since it was taken of as a marco Pierre white restaurant. Is it worth a look?
As a pub, it has NEVER been worth a look. Not since the early seventies, when it started to pretend that the only reason for selling drinks was to accompany a meal.

Which is a shame - particularly since Cooksbridge lost its other pub, the Station Inn / Hop Leaf / Pump House.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here