13 Wolves
14 West Ham
15 Leicester
16 Southampton
17 Forest
18 Birmingham
19 Derby
20 West brom
Now everyone will have different opinions, what would be your top 20?

Last edited:

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
What are we basing the score on? Success, number of fans, size of ground, income, expenditure, all of them or something different?

The Terminator

Aug 7, 2010
What are we basing the score on? Success, number of fans, size of ground, income, expenditure, all of them or something different?

Again this is down to opinion, personally i think the two biggest factors are Fan base and history.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Can't argue with most of that that except I'd have West Brom or Middlesborough before Southampton. Neither one have spent time in the 3rd division recently. Saints had one of the shittest grounds in the top few divisions until recently and it wasn't very big either.

Can you remove them from your top 20 list please :glare:

Last edited:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I go for crowd size only (which holds true for most of that table) so my only gripe would be Forest or Brighton at number 18 (based on 31k Amex)?
:)

Eagle Slayer

Jul 15, 2007
Worthing
I'd go for this:

1 Man Utd
2 Liverpool
3 Arsenal
4 Spurs
5 Chelsea
6 Newcastle
7 Leeds
8 Man city
9 Everton
10 Aston Villa
11 Wednesday
13 Sunderland
14 Wolves
15 West Ham
16 Leicester
17 Southampton
18 Forrest
19 Birmingham
20 Derby

Now everyone will have different opinions, what would be your top 20?

who is number 12 then ?

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Average turnover over say 3 seasons, given an identical league position. All hypothetical of course.

And real potential, as some massive clubs like Spurs & Liverpool, are restricted by ground sizes.

Don't think of S'ton as bigger than Portsmouth & Brighton. Just happen to have the 32,000 lego ground completed.
Much smaller catchment area.
Portsmouth's awful and small ground has been their ultimate problem.
Brighton, with a massive catchment & the Amex, is beginning to resurrect that potential shown 1976 - 1983.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I go for crowd size only (which holds true for most of that table) so my only gripe would be Forest or Brighton at number 18 (based on 31k Amex)?
:)

Newcastle bigger than Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea & Spurs?

With no champions league, LFC maintained turnover at £185m. Newcastle's £88m.
Loads of paying customers at the bigger St.James's Park, but far lower merchandising & sponsership income.

Oct 25, 2003
newcastle have an incredible level of local support, however they have had minimal success for decades and draw very little support from outside the north east

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Newcastle bigger than Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea & Spurs?

With no champions league, LFC maintained turnover at £185m. Newcastle's £88m.
Loads of paying customers at the bigger St.James's Park, but far lower merchandising & sponsership income.

Agreed (I didn't actually bother looking at the table very closely) :)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
funny thing this "size" of club debate. Where's Ispwich, winner of a Uefa cup, First div and FA cup, yet Birmingham and Leicester make the cut havent won any of these.

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
Interesting. Agree with most of them, but would probably have Forest higher, Leicester slightly lower, and maybe Fulham in there somewhere...

watsongooal

Jul 7, 2003
Chislehurst
Sheffield Wednesday would be in for me.

Again this is down to opinion, personally i think the two biggest factors are Fan base and history.

Fan base and history and you have Leicester, Southampton and West Ham above Forest?!!!

How many European Cups and league titles have Leicester, Southampton and West Ham won?

Last edited:

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
This debate has been done so many times before, and it seems that it boils down to a person's opinion on the size of a club being based on who was in the top division when they first started getting into football.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here