Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blackwell on crutches

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
From the Argus:

Albion are sweating over the extent of a knee injury which has left defender Dean Blackwell on crutches.

A scan yesterday proved inconclusive and further tests are now required to pinpoint the damage.

Assistant manager Bob Booker revealed today: "Dean will have another scan tomorrow and then probably a scope, where they look inside the knee with a camera.

"There is a lot of blood in there and swelling, which is a bit of a concern, and the bone is very badly bruised."

Centre half Blackwell sustained the injury in an innocuous incident in training last Friday.

Booker said: "We were just in the middle of a small sided game, with no silly tackling.

"He just twisted a little bit and it looked like he had hurt his back. There was no contact, so it was just one of those freak things."

The injury scare has arisen with former Wimbledon stalwart Blackwell on the brink of agreeing a new one-year contract and Albion's opening game of the season at Oldham less than five weeks away.

Veteran goalkeeper Dave Beasant has not given up hope of negotiating a new deal.

Boss Steve Coppell revealed to The Argus last week that Beasant is dissatisfied with the club's offer, but he said today: "I haven't dismissed any hopes of re-signing.

"The problem is I went there last season more or less to get myself in the shop window again and prove to people that I am still capable of doing a good job.

"I feel I did that and now we have obviously got to renegotiate a new contract.

"I don't think I am asking for anything unreasonable and I think the manager feels the same way. Hopefully, both sides will look for it to be resolved sooner rather than later."

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I am sorry to be harsh, but Bye then!!!!

I assume he did not sign his contract before injuring himself!

PLEASE BUY SOME NEW PLAYERS NOW

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I' mvery excited about the prospect of Virgo getting some serious games next year, he looks like a very competent player and the second division should teach him a few tricks of the trade.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I agree with DtG. Did he sign up what he had been offered before the injury ? If not then he knew the risks and would have naffed off had a better offer come along. So we are sorry but that's life buoy.

If he had signed, get well soon Dean.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
I' mvery excited about the prospect of Virgo getting some serious games next year,

Blimey, you are a bit excitable. Virgo's main attributes look to be that he can head the ball, and when he goes in for the ball he really looks serious about winning it.

But exciting ......

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I think we have to withdraw the contract offer pending his full recovery. Sorry Dean, but that's just how it has to be, that was the risk you ran by now signing it immediately.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
VIRGO was dreadful at Brentford a couple of years ago.

I may get flamed by this but I have been told that Butters is looking good at the moment.

Well, if he has lost weight and is back to full fitness, he wasn't that bad a player

Dave

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
I' mvery excited about the prospect of Virgo getting some serious games next year,.

and I'm sure the residents of Withdean are excited about all the free footballs they'll be getting next year as Virgs employs his safety first tactic of hoofing over the north stand.

Beeneys gloves

Jul 7, 2003
I reckon Hinshelwood is going to turn into a much better prospect than Virgo, definitely worth keeping him near the first team squad this season

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
dave the gaffer said:
VIRGO was dreadful at Brentford a couple of years ago.

I may get flamed by this but I have been told that Butters is looking good at the moment.

Well, if he has lost weight and is back to full fitness, he wasn't that bad a player

Dave

but awesome in two evening games- i think trnamere and cardiff?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here